don't let ballboys score goals

Discussion in 'Referee' started by johnh00, Sep 13, 2006.

1. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ball boy scores goal - and it counts

This is pretty funny. Looks like the referee and linesman will be suspended for it.

2. scottmsg

scottmsg Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Rockport, IN
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Ball boy scores goal - and it counts

If the referee awards a goal kick, doesn't the ball have to be kicked outside of the penalty area before a goal can be scored?

3. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I believe that the ref saw the shot, must have turned away for a second or two and then saw the goal keeper picking the ball out of the goal and assumed that the shot went in. Not sure how both the referree and the linesman missed this, but maybe something else was going on? :confused:

4. DerbyRam54

DerbyRam54 Member

Apr 26, 2005

Here's why you don't allow anyone to hang around near either goal!

5. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California

so bizarre, it's hard to believe it's real.

i'd like to think in normal circumstances if something like this happened (and the entire ref crew missed it) that the red team would speak up or if the ref refused to change the call simply allow the yellow team to come down to score to even things up.

6. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA

absolutely crazy scenario. Very hard to believe it happened. Exactly how big a match was this? Was this part of Brazil's version of the US Open Cup or what?

Even in a professional match, I would have expected the players on the benefiting team, to fess up and acknowledge that it was NOT a goal. Not saying it is their responsibility to do so, but I would expect they would do so.

There HAD to be some doubt in the referee's mind based on the level of disagreement from the wronged team?!

7. ref2coach

ref2coach Member

May 27, 2004
    TN, USA

In watching the video, it looks "possible" that the ball entered the goal and then come out along to bottom right? :confused: The back right corner of the goal is displaced or moved by the ball, the ball then is seen rolling on the ground from the back corner of the net stopping about 4 yards to the right. The ball boy puts a different ball in the goal. After the referee approaches you see him bend down and lift the bottom of the net near the back right corner. :rolleyes:

Just a question in my mind after watching a very poor vidio.

8. sandaroo

sandaroo Member

Jan 26, 2006
    2nd to last defender

That was my first reaction too. It looks it could be a valid goal that came out the side netting at the bottom. However the initial reaction of all the players seems to indicate that is wasn't goal. Hmmm...sure wish the video quality was a bit better.

9. sandaroo

sandaroo Member

Jan 26, 2006
    2nd to last defender

Alright...watched it again, this time focusing on the spectators behind the fence. When the Red team's shot is taken there seems to a brief & collective arm rising from the group - almost like a "wow that was close" sort of reaction from the spectators - but no big celebrations. But when it was appearant that a goal was being awarded the spectators start jumping up and down in celebration.

Now before anyone rips me, I know as a referee that I'm not going to make any calls based upon the spectators, but for analysizing this video (and trying to make sense of it) it does help to look at all the details.

10. Evo5

Evo5 New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Sydney Australia

Having frezze framed it a couple of times, I'd say the first shot went wide and hit the side netting.

11. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

After viewing the video, it appears that one of the red players(3?) convinces the official that it was a goal...

12. macheath

macheath New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    DC

Definitely side netting on the original shot. Also, the guy who rolls it into the goal, when the big argument starts, he suddenly gets interested in the side net, keeps away from the discussion entirely, while other ball boys stand between him and the goal. Really funny!

13. ref2coach

ref2coach Member

May 27, 2004
    TN, USA

I saw this again last night on FSW, with a better Video it is "very" obvious that the ball hit the side netting just in front of the back corner. The ball boy did a masterful job of "selling his call". :eek:
    I feel sorry for the CR & AR who got it wrong. :(

14. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA

Not sure I feel sorry for them as I believe they should have been able to get it right.

15. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California

i thought the ball boy was fortunate not have been rattled around a little bit. i half expected one of the defenders to grab him by his neck and bring him over to the ref to confess.....

16. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005

The shooter clearly knew he missed.

17. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
  18. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    Did it happen AGAIN!?!? ;)

20. spectre013

spectre013 Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Colorado
  21. refereejoe

refereejoe New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Bay Area - Cal North
    The video doesn't tell the whole story. I don't have a link anymore, but I read that it wasn't the "goal" by the ball boy that was being awarded. At the time the referee thought the ball had indeed entered the goal from the shot, but did not receive confirmation from the AR. A player from the attacking team thought it went in as well and asked the referee about it -- saying the ball went under the side netting.

So the referee went to check the side netting, which was indeed loose. The ball boy told the referee the ball went in the goal and popped out. He was upset the goal was not awarded so he kicked the ball back into the goal instead of giving it to the keeper. The referee then awarded a goal, even though everybody else pretty much knew there was no goal, which the replays confirm.

22. chrisrun

chrisrun Member

Jan 13, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I would need a source on this information, because I have read several different stories, most of which say the AR convinced her that it was a good goal. I have even read stories that say the AR was later seen celebrating with the team awarded the goal. But as far as I am concerned, all these stories are hearsay. I wish I could find a reliable source that explained exactly what happened.