Don't install Windows XP Service Pack 2!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Spartak, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a little heads up for those that haven't installed it yet. I installed the update yesterday and it completely screwed up my system. It caused almost all of my programs to work incorrectly or not work at all. I asked around and it happended to alot of other people as well. I used system restore to get it uninstalled and my system seems to be working fine now :)

2. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I've actually heard quite good things about it, as it's suppose to fix a whole bunch of security flaws in XP. Of course, I'm running 2000 Pro and don't intend to switch, so no worries.

3. fgn

fgn Member

Jun 14, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Re: Don't install Windows XP!

Fixed the subject.

4. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I've been using SP2 since the first beta came out. I haven't had any problems at all. Not a one.

5. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    XP 2 is going to force people to learn more about how their computers work. This is both good and bad. Those with the wherewithal to do so will figure it out and use it. Those without are going to, like Spartak, take one look and roll it back.

I think a lot of software vendors got caught flat-footed. Even though the developer's specifications and beta have been out for months, people are only getting around right now to putting up patches.

Basically, if a program you use does some sort of network communication and it isn't made by MS, SP 2 is probably going to break it.

First,go to the program vendor's website and see if they have a SP 2-related patch. If not, try a google search such as "MyApp TCP port"

This shows you how to open those ports:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875356

IANA's well-know ports page is your friend:
    http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

First hint: For most apps you need to turn on both the TCP and UDP ports. TCP establishes the session, UDP transports data.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seconded.

7. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    i'm testing it on my test pc and have no problem so far. my friend on the other hand had it installed and according to him screwed his whole system. i don't know how it happened nor do i care.

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've read and heard from friends, it seems to screw with computers that have a lot of smaller name software on it. If you're running a less than mainstream product there's a good chance SP2 could affect your computer.

9. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    let's go back to windows me. there's no service pack for the os and its product support already ended after 3 years from its berth. that means win me is the most stable os in the world.

11. JoeBloggs

JoeBloggs New Member

Mar 3, 2002
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If only I had read this thread earlier. Once I downloaded SP2, when I used the internet explorer it would freeze suddenly, which led to me having to use the restore point.

Probably just wait a month while they sort the bugs outs.

12. hdtvtechno

hdtvtechno New Member

Sep 22, 2004
  13. TruxHalapino

TruxHalapino New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Joe, I'm not saying this is the case in your, case, but just in case...case :)

Other than the small name software Chicago1871 was talking about, problems like yours mean your system (say, your IE) is infected with spyware/adware already. So, you installed SP2 and it blocks all those ports + the firewall that gets turned on by default. Next time you start IE, the spyware clogging into it starts too, tries to dial home or do whatever thing they do, no luck and causing the whole thing to freeze/crash.

I'd use Spybot:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/spybot.html
    and Adware
    http://www.lavasoft.de/
    along with your fav anti-virus

First, run them one after the other cleaning the system up then re-install SP2.

14. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine never finished downloading and F*ed up my whole computer. Of course I had to reformat my computer. Thanks SP2!

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i had it for a spell, problems

removed it, no problems

16. JoeBloggs

JoeBloggs New Member

Mar 3, 2002
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Na got one of those spyware things installed before, i thought it may be my personal firewall conflicting the windows firewall or something. But hey if it aint broke don't fix it.

17. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Running 2000 Pro SP 4. I never, ever, ever have problems...Don't plan on switching to anything else unless I decide to go with linux on all my boxes.

18. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    sp4 on w2k, too, had many compatibility issues (symantec, cisco aironet, outlook, wmp, etc etc) like sp2 on winxp. time will fix it one day. i used to deny installing sp4 on my w2k machines but now they're all working just fine.

19. thatsright

thatsright New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    thankfully i already knew about the problems with the update, and left it alone

20. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    i had to format my hd yesterday,and basicly started a new with my xp system.anyway haveing seen this thread before i had always avoided sp2,and now i know why.

my p.c. apon final re-booting after installing a freash copy of xp and sp1,decided to auto update from microsoft and downloaded sp2,which totally fcuked up my broadband and e-mail settings,makeing both un-useable.

anyway long story short un-installed it and now everythings back to normal.except the auto update is still on,so each time i re-boot it trys to download sp2 again.any ideas were i turn it off :eek:

21. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember where you set that - and I don't have admin rights on my work machine.

I do find it puzzling that so many people have problems with SP2. Not me. My biggest complaint is that SP2's firewall automatically allows all outbound comms, and it's impossible to make any security changes as a normal user (which is understandable, but it's a PITA to have to log out to change users - which is required with Pro and a domain controller)

22. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    thanks anyway mate :D

the worst thing is that file downloading in the background is slowing my broadband down,aagggghhhhhh :mad:

seriously i just spent ages reading all the faq & troubleshooting guides on the update site and guess what? they tell you how to turn it on but not off,f.f.s.

23. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before I got a new PC, I questioned a few knowledgeable people I knew about SP2. They informed me that problems usually arose if you installed the service pack. They reccormended that I purchase a new copy of XP with SP2 on it instead of downloading it later. I did, and immediately turned off the firewall and pop-up blockers and installed my own programs. Haven't had a problem yet.

24. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    I also wish I had read this thread before installing Service Pack 2. :(

The above posters seem to have their finger on the pulse of the situation.

Chicago1871, your assertion is correct. My boss ordered a XP machine with XP and SP2 pre-installed. The machine runs flawlessly. I purchased a work computer with XP, but without SP2. Immediately after registering the machine, I downloaded SP2. It runs flawlessly. That's where my luck ran out.

Trux, I didn't know about the spyware problems. So I went ahead and loaded SP2 on my home machine. I seem to have only one problem at startup: "Windows has encountered a problem with NVidia and needs to close." I report the error, but nothing else happens. I'm not a gamer with a turbo charged video card. The video card is the standard card that comes with an HP Pavillion. I've cleaned the drive with Microsoft Anti-Spyware, but I still get the same error message. I installed SP2 months ago and I guess I'm stuck with it. :(

25. Claus KJ

Claus KJ New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Aarhus, Denmark
    I installed SP2 immedieatly after installing XP and I've never had any problems with it.

KJ