dont deserve a franchise

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ECU_SIMMS, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ECU_SIMMS

ECU_SIMMS New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    OMG Columbus you are pathetic. It looks like a high school soccer game on tv.
    The stadium is empty. Either you front office did a horrible job of advertising this game on tv, or you just don't deserve a franchise. Philly, St Louis, Seattle, deserve a team, you don't. Im embarrassed for MLS and ESPN tonight.

2. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    Piss off.

3. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Buck-a-Brat Night is one of the most recognized marketing campaigns in MLS.

It also explains why a lot of people might be at the concessions.

4. ECU_SIMMS

ECU_SIMMS New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    if your in the Columbus area right now, and not at the game, then you should piss off... i mean you guys realize that were on in HD, on a prime time sports network... HD! We are supposed to be showcasing the league and the stadium is half empty. Actually im a little bitter at MLS and ESPN for scheduling and showing this venue. Should keep the thursday games to houston, LA,LA Chivas, DC, Chicago, NE, Toronto, and colorado

5. Robotnique

Robotnique New Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    No.

Seriously shut up.

6. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    I'm embarrassed for your entire family.

7. sundayparkplayer

Feb 8, 2006
    I keep telling myself to just pay attention to the field but I can't. This is embarassing AND for your excuse above, unless you are being totally sarcastic, makes me want to change the channel. I've seen more people in the stands at a lacrosse, gag, indoor game!

8. ECU_SIMMS

ECU_SIMMS New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    good comeback, why aren't you at the game?

9. FreddyAduhowdoyoudo

FreddyAduhowdoyoudo New Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Dissapointed with the attendance. A few camera angles that showed the camera side bleachers have shown a lot of empty seats which is sad.

10. sundayparkplayer

Feb 8, 2006
    What happened to the 17,000 tickets sold that all the Crew fans were crowing about all week? Maybe they mistook them for the number of brats the team ordered for the evening.

11. ECU_SIMMS

ECU_SIMMS New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    why? Did you see the crowd that showed up to watch dc united vs real madrid in seattle? Or the crowds that show up to see the sounders? Philly supports professional sports teams like no other city, even the Soul(AFL) does vey well attendence wise(I hate philly, but im not blind). SO why should a city that has a franchise, that cant fill the stadium half way(SMALL STADIUM) for a nationally televised game(for all intensive purposes), deserve to keep the franchise? Explain

12. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    Because I had class until 6 in Cleveland chief.

And all you people who want to come into our forum and tell us how we should do things, until you've been through the absolute hell we have for the past several years and put up with all the sh!t we have, you may kindly shut the hell up and get the ******** out of our forums.

13. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Not being sarcastic. I just happen to know a bit about how successful this promotion has been in the past.

Weeknight attendance is always a problem, everywhere, particularly when school's in session. The Buck-a-Brat promotion keeps it from being worse. The guy who started this troll -- er, thread -- obviously wasn't aware of the marketing.

14. sundayparkplayer

Feb 8, 2006
    Baby want a brat?

15. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Because they have a stadium and averaged more than 17K four of their first seven years.

Because when Brian McBride left town, it was the lead story in the local news.

And because they haven't yet replaced McBride as the public face of the club, attendance is down. It doesn't help that they've missed the playoffs three of the past four years.

But if you move a club that "only" averages 13K on its way to a second straight last-place finish, not to mention a club that isn't shelling out $50K-$100K in weekly rent, then what MLS club would you NOT move?

One other thing to remember as we see the occasional 8K crowd on Thursday nights -- the casual fan doesn't give a hoot about making an impression on a national TV audience. The hard-core fans, yes, and they've obviously turned out in force. But a family of four circling five dates on the calendar to attend games isn't going to say, "Hey, let's skip that Saturday game so we can wave to ESPN2's cameras on a school night!"

16. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    Piss off.

Maybe I'm stuck at work, maybe I'm looking after a sick kid. Maybe I'm on call.
    Certainly, you're a troll.

17. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn

New England?!?

18. DJAnimosity

DJAnimosity Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Retards,

When the on-field product sucks out loud for 3 of the last 4 years, attendance is going to drop. Simple sports economics.

The fact that the game is on ESPN2HD (!!!) would probably get about 13 more people than usual to show up at the game.

19. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NFL Oakland Raiders are pathetic in attendance compared to the rest of the league and yet they still got Sunday night or Monday night games on their schedules. The crappy numbers doesn't mean they don't have support or Al Davis should move them (again.) They just consistenly suck (yessss!), and the league rightfully pulled them from primetime this year. MLS will probably do the same next year to Columbus until they can 'trust' the Columbus crowds again. History was on their side though in setting this date.

- davidjd

20. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Sure -- if you're saying MLS shouldn't schedule a Thursday night game in Columbus in April when the Crew is coming off back-to-back last-place finishes, I can agree with that.

Just don't move a team that has a history of solid support when the team's playing well.

Not sure if anyone's still watching, but it seems livelier in the second half.

21. DJAnimosity

DJAnimosity Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Crew have exactly ONE game on ESPN this season.

22. sundayparkplayer

Feb 8, 2006
    Thank god.

23. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trolling. The first sure sign of adult bed-wetting.

Cheers!:D

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    No they won't.
    I bet Sigi gets 'em in the playoffs.

It's a Thursday night folks. Chill.

25. ECU_SIMMS

ECU_SIMMS New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    everywhere? didnt seem a problem last week in LA. I would have been fine with 13,000 but it looked more like 7 to 8K, be honest man, you have to be very disappointed.