Donovan

Discussion in 'Germany' started by   , Nov 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    Bayer Leverkusen coach Klaus Augenthaler remains sceptical about the prospect of United States international Landon Donovan returning to the club.

Donovan has commented that he is ready to link up with Bayer for their winter training camp in a bid to finally establish himself as a Bundesliga performer.

But Augenthaler is not counting his chickens and will only make plans including Donovan when the player turns up in the New Year.

"Generally speaking I think that he'll come but I won't be sure until I really see him," said Augenthaler.

Donovan joined Leverkusen as a teenager but, plagued by homesickness, failed to make the breakthrough at the BayArena and was sent on loan to San Jose Earthquakes in 2001.

With San Jose he was eventually named Major League Soccer's Most Valuable Player after inspiring the team to two league titles.

But despite proving himself in the United States, the sensitive American seems to have doubts that he can leave a lasting impression in the more challenging Bundesliga.

He has postponed his return to Leverkusen on several occasions, despite having a contract which runs until 2008.

According to Leverkusen's latest agreement with MLS officials, Donovan is set to move to Germany in January and will travel with Augenthaler's squad for the training camp in Spain, where the club will prepare for the second part of the Bundesliga season.

----from planetfootball

2. PYordan

PYordan New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Pamplona, Spain
    For someone who professes not to care about this whole issue -- and doesn't even consider himself a Leverkusen fan -- you certainly seem to put a lot of effort into being jaded.

Don't let bigsoccer get to you that much. I'm sure the weather is really nice right now in that little industrial corner of Germany, so maybe a walk outside would do you some good.

I think Landon will have some growing pains, some ups and downs, will fight for playing time, will hopefully not talk too much, as he always seems to say the wrong thing these days, and will generally fall between the two extremes of amazingness and donkeytude that more 'energetic' posters project. I can't believe he won't have some bright moments, but I'm also sure that he will have some tough spots.

I also think it will extremely interesting to watch his journey, more interesting than any other American playing abroad, and I, for one, can't wait for him to begin.

This is an unprecedented situation for us, different from every other Yank abroad. There's no set path for Landon to follow. Landon, the path is made by walking, so walk. We'll be watching and wishing you the best.

So don't get in a snit, chief. Just relax yourself.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez

I explained I root for them since my mates are fanatics and I work in Leverkusen. There's a difference between rooting for a team and being a fan. A little like US fans supporting clubs because of certain players.

Don't worry, BigSoccer doesn't get to me but I do like to post news to educate the idiots on here.

4. PYordan

PYordan New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Pamplona, Spain

Ha, Don't think we're not grateful.

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

teacher of idiots... yeah that's about as far as you could go in this world, so congratulations are in order professor

augenthaler was just making a joke about how the club kept thinking he was coming back, only to have donovan wuss out and stay home - LD will be there in the 3rd, end of story

ps-if you want to wind up americans, it would probably be wiser to put your oh so funny posts in the yanks aboad forum

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez

Ah it's the resident pedophile spouting off. You might not be aware but the moderator here has specifically written that there should not be any "personal attacks" so be warned.

Augenthaler is now making jokes is he? Ah, so you and Auge are friends I see, since that should be the only reason how you know this. Perhaps in future, when you read a quote just take it for that... words and not concoct your own version to suit your own personal fantasies.

ps-My aim is not "to wind up americans", I am simply expressing my own personal realistic opinions on a player that has hundreds of fanboys salivating at the ground he walks on. I have never critisized his play simply his attitude. Boy you fanboys sure have a hard time reading.

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

1-classic

2-it's called common sense, look into it

3-your aim is to be as big a dick as you can as often as you can... therefore, congratulations are in order again

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    1. Thanks

2. Really? So not only do you try to seduce underage girls on BigSoccer, you're the resident pyschologist too.

3. Not quite, but it's good to know I have a fan.

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

you do realize that repeating this over and over and over and over again doesn't make it even remotely true

as always, we wait for your wonderful anecdote of how this happened...

10. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001

Um, wow. Pure class. :rolleyes:

11. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Member

Oct 10, 2004
    this is headed in a contructive direction

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez

We won't get into it, don't worry Mike Lastort... I am looking out for you and the good of this forum. If anyone wants to know about it, just search for "WR's worst posters" thread or ask chocolate.

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

TRANSLATION: i have nothing

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez

No, I am abiding to the rules and if we get into it, there will be insults thrown back and forth as obviously this hits close to home with you.

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

wrong as usual, i'm waiting for a good laugh - i've never flirted with chocolate in the slightest, and it would be freakin' hilarious to watch you try to spin yet another bull********** story

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez

Go make a thread about it at WR, in the mean time quit your bitching and get back to the topic.

17. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blue Daddy, don't fall into the trap, stop now and think of world peace, Ajax, and Amsterdam. Breathe deeply and realize what a lucky bastard you are to live in Holland. I hate you... well not really, I hate everyone who gets to live in Holland... bastards... (cry)

18. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

what topic? this is just more of your anti-anybody who isn't you menstruation

seriously, i'm not bitching... please enlighten us all with your anecdote

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    Topic of skepticism from Bayer Leverkusen's coach.

Ah just go cyber flirt with your wife to be... you know the one you met on BigSoccer since you couldn't get laid in real life and leave this discussion.

20. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

[​IMG]

well gee golly sockpuppet, maybe you shouldn't run your lying mouth if you don't want to it smacked around proper

21. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    i think i'm the saddest person in US to find out that he is leaving our league ... i can only say, have a great success in Germany with tears in my eyes :(

22. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    LD going to the Bundesliga and a club that is doing well, will not only help his game, but also improve the exposure of Europeans to quality US footballers. It is a win-win situation.

23. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    THREAD CLOSED.

If this continues, I am going to request forum bans for all offending parties.