donovan unlikely for real madrid

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by jtmunchie, Jul 1, 2005.

1. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    If he'd stuck it out in Europe he might have and in a meaningful game. Beasley, who showed some grit and won his way into the PSV starting lineup probably will get the opportunity.

2. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herc Gomez or Mike Enfield to replace Donovan then. After watching tonight, both displayed hunger to make things happen.

3. rojojova

rojojova Member

Mar 7, 2001
    LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even want to think about that option.
    They did hustle... but Enfield is all heart... he's a bit hyper on the ball.
    Gomez did deliver a nice ball to him for the goal. Hopefully Kiro and Vagenas will be healthy and LD will be allowed to come back for the match.

4. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    get real. if landon wasn't there for a meaningful match last night he's not going to be there for a meaningless friendly. and all you people saying that fewer tickets will be sold if landon isn't there are nuts! The few people who decide not to go to the game because of no landon will be replaced by the thousands of people going to see ronaldo, beckham, owen, roberto carlos, zidane, raul, figo, etc...

Finally, Landon Donovan will have a chance to play against most of those people I just mentioned next summer in the world's most meaningful soccer competition barring injury.

5. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't hurt to try. If some of us are pessimistic to predict a loss with our starters, it'll be the same with our reserves, just on a bigger margin.

6. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez, I've never heard this argument before. We get it. Beasley is king & Donovan is SH__! You Donovan-smackers need to get some new material.

7. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When do them tickets go on sale?

8. nrHartman

nrHartman New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    your mom's house
    To FAS:

That post about LD was pretty ill-informed. Have you watched any recent WCQ for the USMNT lately? LD has stood out in the US attack for the last 4-5 games. Even above almighty Damarcus Beasley. You can't say LD doesn't have any 'grit'.....Bayern Leverkusen wasn't playing him at all. 80th minute substitutions is not deserving of a player w/ LD's talent. Donovan is more suited to a leadership role, not post-70th minute substition status. He can have that leadership role in L.A. Plus he's American. There is nothing wrong with being homesick or wanting to play in your own country, even if it is in a less talented league. The MLS is only in it's 10 season and we are already getting huge names coming to play our teams. Do you see that happening in most of the other league's in the world? I'm so tired of this European-holier-then-thou attitude. Don't get me wrong, Beasley is very talented, but to slight LD's skill just b/c he doesn't want to sit on the bench in a country far away from home is pretty dim-witted.

9. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    If you're going to complain about Donovan not being freed up to play in the Real Madrid game, then it would be nice if you would at least know the situation. The US plays Cuba and Canada in the first round, this weekend, well before the LA/Real game. The problem with Arena freeing up Donovan for the Madrid game is that the US will be playing in the Quarterfinals right before that, on July 16 or 17, and then if they win in the Semifinals right afterwards, on July 21. These games would almost certainly not be against Cuba or Canada, they would be against teams from other groups (could be Mexico, Guatemala, or several other strong teams). And these games on July 16/17 and 21 are elimination games, so there is no room for error.

10. ray of light

ray of light Member

May 14, 2003
    somewhere in this beautiful world.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great said ! I agree

11. avocats

avocats Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. Beppe

Beppe BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 29, 2004
    Milano
    No way in hell Bruce Arena gives Landon Donovan the night off to play vs Real Madrid. Bruce Arena could give a rats ass if Landon Donovan plays vs them. All that he cares about is if Landon Donovan is rested and healthy for the semi final at the Gold Cup. :mad:

13. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston

because he was a 3rd string keeper. the ONLY way reis is going to see action in the gold cup is if both Kasey and Marcus get injured. Landon Donovan is a First XI player.

14. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    As Gutbomb posted, Reis was the #3 goalkeeper, was identified when he was first called to be in the position and was told he would be released back to his team for the MLS games. Arena called in 4 players from the Revs, more than any other MLS team.

LA has been hit relatively lightly so far, you had all of your International callups still available yesterday, while other teams did not (DeRosario from San Jose was practicing with Canada, Ruiz was with Guatemala, Avery John was gone from the Revs with Trinidad....), and only had one US player called away.

It sucks that this happens in the middle of the MLS season, but overall you don't have much to complain about compared to other teams.

15. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WAIT A SECOND!!!! Wasn't Donovan put in as a 2nd half Substitute 3 years ago for the Earthquakes just 24 hours after he and the U.S. were knocked out of the World Cup by Germany?????

I'll be rooting for you guys, 'cause I wanna see MLS prove to the World that our teams can compete with the big boys. I support every MLS Team when they play foreign teams.

16. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Not sure what your point is here.....how does this relate to the situation being discussed on this thread? Once the USMNT was knocked out, he went back to his MLS team. But he didn't go back to play for them during the World Cup....