donovan unlikely for real madrid

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by jtmunchie, Jul 1, 2005.

1. jtmunchie

jtmunchie New Member

Sep 5, 2004
  2. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Oh yippy. Let's get our asses kicked by an even bigger margin.

3. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It doesn't say with any certainty that Donovan won't be released, they are saying that IF, and that's a huge IF, the US makes it to the last 4, JONES doubts Arena would release him.

Again Jones has no power here so he is simply guessing, secondly if the US hot off the 02 WC couldn't beat, the original Brazil B team, I doubt that they will get past possibly, Mexico, South Africa or Colombia.

Another point, what's the FIFA rules?
    Wednesday O. Sanchez was playing for Mexico against Germany, and Thursday night he was playing for Chivas, any one can clarify?

4. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    You do realize that those three teams are bringing b-teams to this tournament also? The USA will be huge favorites to win the whole thing. And, the USA has beaten all of their regular teams in the past. And, in 2003, we tried out several new players, and Brazil's b-team included Kaka and Robinho. That was really an ignorant statement.

Sanchez played because the tournament was over. I fail to see how there's any confusion there. Donovan could play if Bruce let him leave, but he's under no obligation to.

5. churchill2000

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Getting a little angry are we?

Maybe we should bring up the Confederations Cup, that the US was in than . . . :D

Thanks for answering the main question though.

6. GalaxyFutbolForever

GalaxyFutbolForever New Member

Apr 21, 2005
    Los Angeles!
    That would be retarded if Donovan doesn't play against Real. We need him more for that game that the US does for the Gold Cup.

7. GalaxyFutbolForever

Apr 21, 2005
    Los Angeles!
    By the way, I don't have memebership to latimes.com. Can anyone post the article here?

8. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA

?????? I hope you're kidding....the Real Madrid game is a FRIENDLY....the USMNT is playing for a Cup, and also preparing for the WC.

On a related note, has Real announced who they are bringing? I'd be surprised if they're bringing many of their first team players.

9. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    How do you figure they are likely to be playing one of those 3 teams?

First, South Africa is bringing a "d" team, I doubt they will be advancing. Second, Mexico is probably likely to win their group or come in second. So, they would play either the 3rd place team in Group B (the US group), or the second place team in Group A. I really can't imagine the US onlyfinishing 3rd in their group, so a US-Mexico quarterfinal is incredibly unlikely.

The only team you list that seems like a possible Quarterfinal opponent for the US might be Colombia...but there are at least 4 other teams that are an equal possibility.

10. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try bugmenot.com for passwords/user names to try. I love that site.

11. GalaxyFutbolForever

Apr 21, 2005
    Los Angeles!
    Face it, the US is fine in this Gold Cup. There really aren't that many teams that are a challenge to us besides Mexico. I really wouldn't want to be embarrassed with Real Madrid and be starting Naldo instead of Donovan. The US is deep and if the US doesn't have Donovan for one game in the Gold Cup it won't kill them. I don't see any team in the Gold Cup beating us except Mexico really, so I would much rather see him against Madrid.

And yes, Real is bringing all of their stars, their whole team.

12. churchill2000

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't know about the "whole" team, Ronaldo, last I heard was on an "extensive" vacation, which he deserves.

But I would bet that Beckham will come, A) Because its good for Madrid's business, B) Its good for his Academy.

I am crossing my fingers that Owen will come.

13. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    We can agree to disagree on this. I can't for the life of me see how a friendly game against Real Madrid is more important than playing with the USMNT. If Arena gives Donovan a pass for that, then how about some of the other key players for key MLS matches - those at least mean something real, and so why shouldn't he release Brad Davis to San Jose for our match today against Dallas? Or some of the Revs for their game against LA on Monday (or Donovan for that game). I'd buy that argument a lot more than the one saying Donovan should be released for Real Madrid.

I understand the excitement around the Real Madrid match, and if I were in LA and attending (and paying what you guys say it costs) I'd sure want the full LA team there. Nothing wrong with that. But justifying that it's more important and Donovan should be freed up for it is a bit much.

And I'll believe it when I see it if you really think Real is bringing "all of their stars"....you must be smoking something....

14. GalaxyFutbolForever

Apr 21, 2005
    Los Angeles!
    So you think that Cuba or Canada is really challenge for our NT? Come on now. We still need something to prove as a soccer nation, many countries still dont take us seriously, unfortunately. We want to be good against Real, while we don't need Donovan to put another 3 goals by someone like Cuba.

15. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    On teh other hand an upset win by Cuba would be a lot more damaging then a Real Madrid win over L.A.

16. t01m

t01m New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    LA G....who the hel are u, do u think that u can play w/ RM...

17. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to t01m again.

The negative kind.

18. GalaxyFutbolForever

Apr 21, 2005
    Los Angeles!
    I really can't see Cuba beating the US, though, can you? It just won't happen. The Real Madrid game has a lot more on stake for us, and is a better game for marketing by far. And after all of this the Cuba-US game will be on TV and Real Madrid won't probably. It really sucks.

19. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I see anyone beating anyone at any given time. So yes, I can see Cuba beating teh U.S. Soccer is that kind of sport.

20. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cash cow

The situation is this.. Gold cup is just another FIFA sanctioned, concacaf cash cow that isnt worth the time of energy to think twice about.

There is nothing to gain from taking this tournament seriously. Basically if Mexico wasnt in this thing they would generate horrible attendance numbers and so that being said why should any other country in this thing give a Shlt about this tournament?

About Donovan... He better play in the Real Madrid match, if he doesnt the marketing of this match will sink fast among MLS/USMNT/13 year old girls/and especially Galaxy fans who are paying exhorbinant prices to see this clash.

And Yes Madrid will bring most of their "star" players for this match. They are being paid quite a healthy apperance fee and a clause in the contract would state they do so. I am sure MLS & LAG/AEG are working hard to get some TV on this thing also... but PPV will probably win out if they do.

LAG doesn't get many oppurtunities to play a serious top 5 club in the world. And at present Real Madrid are coming to LA to play us. I would want my team to take the game very, very seriously... and put out the best possible team and give its fans the best possible show it can.

21. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Absolutely! This is my point.

Galaxy fans - I really do understand your frustration, the whole thing sucks. They should have planned around the Gold Cup, or gotten Arena to agree prior to the scheduling of the game. And as much as it will pain me, I will be rooting for the Galaxy to do well against Real.

But.....I don't think it's fair to put Arena on the spot and say he should be freeing up Donovan to go back to LA for this game. He's been called up, he took someone else's spot, and he should stay with the USMNT.

22. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone else's spot? I can't think of any player who is more of a 'lock' to be on the National Team than Donovan. Besides...how often does any US players get an opportunity to play REal Madrid?

23. churchill2000

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Agreed.

Donovan is staying here in MLS, so when the oppurtunity to play against famed clubs and top class players arises, he should take it.

24. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    It's only a flippin' pre-season friendly. You should know how these games play out by now, Real or no Real.

25. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Not on the WC Roster, but on this USMNT roster. A chance for someone to get capped, a chance for someone else to get some experience. It's a huge deal to any US soccer player......no matter if it's the Gold Cup or the WCQ.