donovan transfer follow-up story

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by battchy, Feb 8, 2005.

1. battchy

battchy Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Mtn View, CA
  2. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FOr those not registered on the NY Times site, the relevant passges:

"Coming off the bench is absolutely an adjustment, but I think it's good for me," Donovan said in a telephone interview from Germany last week, before he left to join the United States national team for tomorrow's World Cup qualifying match in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad. "I have to adjust. In the past, it has usually taken me a long time to get into a game, but now I have to learn to make an impact immediately."

"When I first came here, I realized there were certain players guys don't want to pass to because you're not good enough. I used to be one of those players. Now my teammates respect me for being a good soccer player and don't worry about what I can or can't do."

Since rejoining Leverkusen during the Bundesliga's winter break, Donovan has come off the bench in the club's last three matches - two victories and a loss last weekend to Bayern Munich.

"When will I start?" Donovan said. "That depends on how the team does. I'll probably be the first person to get a chance. Here, whoever plays best is going to play. All that matters is what you do in the game. It doesn't matter who you are."

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice safe PC answers from LD. Although I have heard time and again that All that matters is what you do in the game. I think that LD is def. being helped by being there, he is learning and he seems to be handling this in a very mature manner. I think it is just a matter of time before he will be starting.

Looking forward to seeing him play tom.

4. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last weekend LD played better in the 15 minutes he played than the rest of the BL team.

-KMJvet

5. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    How did you get to see it? FSC (nee FSW) still hasn't shown a match. Is there a different way to get the BL games, or are you watching over the net or something?

6. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posted on Maxxed Football

Maxxed

Download time for me was about 12 hours, but I set it to go....along with Spurs....when I went to bed and it was done by the end of breakfast the next morning. Quality of file was very nice.

-KMJvet

7. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I knew there must be a BitTorrent site for soccer games somewhere. You've saved me all that trouble of tracking it down. I just hope there's still a seed for last weekend's match...

THANKS!!!

:)

8. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're most welcome and I hope you enjoy the game. I hope this will be a way we can follow Donovan's progress thru the rest of the season.

-KMJvet

9. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got to watch it live with a feed over the computer. The link was posted in Yanks Abroad - first posted in the Germany section of BS. So as another alternative to the downloads, you might want to check out those threads on game day to get any feeds that might be posted.

And I agree with you, KMJVet..LD looked pretty good. I even thought he might score with the little combination in the box with Babic. He looked very lively. I'm hoping he gets the start on Sunday vs. Mainz (seeing as how Ponte can't play due to yellow cards.)

10. Brad May

Brad May New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Not sure I'd call his three years with the Earthquakes a sabbatical!

11. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Maybe they were referring to his fourth year with the Quakes. ;)

12. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my hope, too. Fox Sports World -- er, Fox Soccer Channel -- is frustrating because they haven't shown any Leverkusen matches yet. (No Hannover 96 matches all year, either.) I'd gladly pay for a Bundesliga PPV package but this is definitely the next best thing.

13. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was classic Donovan and I thought he might as well. So was that play today....I'm not sure I can say any more in a thread without an R in its title, but you know the play from today I'm referring to.

-KMJvet