Donovan Speaks (Again)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Martin Fischer, Sep 3, 2002.

1. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is about the only thing that has made any sense in this thread for a long time.

2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    And where are you on this one dark knight?

Attack in the sense that he could have made a better choice for his youth development. Of course you think that being the man at UVA and playing in the Olympics is the same as coming up through the youth ranks at Barcelona. That tells me everything I need to know about you.

3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you guys have failed to notice that the horse is not only dead,but was taken to the glue factory and going to wind up as part of Mrs. Johnson's 2nd grade class collage of American flag pictures.

Please God,somebody put out another Landon article....

4. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Sure, if you can survive Barcelona's development system, I agree that 9 times out of 10 you will have a better chance of success as a pro than the college grad, but it doesn't mean that Reyna necessarily would have been better off especially if he felt he wasn't ready. Even without having gone, he's turned into a pretty good player. Would he have reached his peak sooner had he gone? Who knows - maybe he would have burned out sooner.

As far as Landon is concerned, do you agree he was wise to come back to MLS when he did? Is "being the man" in MLS better than riding pine in the Bundesliga?

russ - feel free to tune out this thread (or at least refrain from the occasional kibitzing).

5. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Yes, this is exactly right. Let's ask ourself one question. We have two options. We can have Reyna's life, with all the money, glory, ect. Or we can have the Reyna's life as it would have been had he gone to Barcelona. Can anyone really say that you would give up Reyna's life as it turned out? I'm willing to bet that no one would, even The Wanderer.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I don't. Please give us a cite for this. You will never, ever, in a million years find a cite for this. Why? Because I don't think that.

Look, if you're going to make stuff up, why not go all out? Accuse me of something more colorful...eating babies. Or thinking Mathis was our most valuable player at the World Cup. Or there's a FIFA conspiracy against the US.

Let me show you how it's done.

Wanderer, I just have to disagree with your position that the US should force its best male and female soccer players to breed in order to produce great players. I'd rather not win than win through eugenics.

See? That's how you make stuff up.