Donovan rumor confirmed: A 2.5 mo. loan to Everton

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by lmorin, Oct 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CC: LD feels the US performance was no fluke but the hardest part is to do this over 5-6 games like the best teams do it.... Enough talent to play to win WC...but consistency is needed...Feels the gap on certain areas with MExico lies on Mexican kids playing on pro team at 11-12 years of age, while most Americans do not see a pro team until 18 so y/o...says future for soccer in the USA is good...JOrge Ramos wishes him good luck and after hanging up says that although not a done deal, he expect the deal to be finalized in the next 24 hours....

2. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas
    Re: Donovan rumors (Everton?)

Well put. I don't think it is much different, for some of us, than when we support a team, and win or lose, want to see them play against the best.

We get excited to see how the USA will fare against the best international sides in major competitions.

For the same reasons, as fans of LD as a player, we want to see him play against the best.

The results are the same as your own club or nation doing well in a tournament. The opportunity of Donovan succeeding against the best would provide much of the same 'benefit' as seeing the USA perform well at the WC - it's validation, is excitement, it's the very reason we watch the sport.

I just imagine Austrailia toiling away in the Oceanic conference...dying for a chance. What's the difference in translating that to the fan of individual players?

Obviously the calls for his 'duty' or personal judgements about it aside...it's a reasonable desire among sports fans.

3. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia

what he's going to do is be in shape for the World Cup and be in form because he's playing in games instead of watching them on TV

4. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas

This is the part I do not get. Donovan is a KNOWN quantity based on his 120 appearances for the USA. Plenty of games against top level competition.

How many players from central and south american nations get purchased for a LOT more than 10 million euros based on 1 or 2 tournaments or some qualifying games?? They are equally untested in Europe yet there they are.

If the conclusion is that he is too inconsistent and not good enough or not worth the MLS price - FINE. But to say he is unproven and therefore a risk....is intellectually stinted. (that's not a personal attack but directed towards actual scouts or club mgmt to have such double standards).

At the end of the day...money talks. Donovan obviously never had a burning desire to play in Europe unless it was a perfect situation, he just wanted out of LA. Now LA is better, so it would truly need to be a prefect situation and the right money for MLS.

5. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas
    I guess they key is that the permission go back on loan was conditional on the new contract - meaning that if he does well this year, MLS will get top dollar for a transfer.

Final verdict - Donovan has a place to play where he's happy if nothing changes. He has 2010 as a stage to show his stuff with Everton and in SA - and MLS' negotiating power has been maximized if he does get suitors for a permanent deal.

It would indeed have been silly for MLS to let him go on loan, basically on audition, and to get nothing but rapidly diminishing returns as 2010 would come to a close.

6. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Exaclty, it was just yesterday the American Kid in the Italian primavera squad Jean picault said "Americans have to work 5-10 times harder" And we are talking about an youth team no less.

So the question becomes why do they have to work 10 times harder?

Because its the concept in general that our development is crap, we are far behind in learning the right way to play the game and our best player "ever" is scarred to play in europe.

Some people believe in the fallacy that everything is fair no matter what and no stereotypes exist.

So having our best player ever playing in a big pond and doing extremely well, will start to break that stereotype among most clubs and coaches.

7. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    who pays Donovan's wages while he is on loan?

8. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The team that has him. Everton will pay those 2.5 monthly wages

9. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Grant Wahl's tweet

so, with the loan, MLS "saves" $427K.

10. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four years starting now, or after his 2 option years?

If the first one, he will be 30/31 when making his next (theoretical) move.

11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Landon Donovan contract: four years guaranteed, $2.05 million annual base salary, $2.25 million/year incl marketing/bonuses.

---

Y'all should listen to me more :D

btw - with that klind of loot, there's zero reason for him to go to Europe.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Almost... but no cigar :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cristiano_Ronaldo#Manchester_United

Despite rumours circulating in March 2007 that Real Madrid were willing to pay an unprecedented €80 million (£54 million) for Ronaldo,[18] he signed a five-year, £120,000-a-week (£31 million total) extension with United on 13 April, making him the highest-paid player in team history

He moved to Madrid in 2009 so 2 years into a 5 year deal.

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Wouldn't it make sense to bring this thread to a merciful close, and start a fresh thread based on now-confirmed information?

14. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Donovan rumors?

That's what I'm also worried about. I hope they put him on the wings, and not in the middle. He's going to get knocked all over the place if he plays up the middle.

15. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still trying for that last page, huh?

16. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    but we're only 95 posts away from quadruple digits.

17. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    one would guess that the new 4-year contract starts now.

i'm assuming someone can find/post confirmation of this.

the mlsnet.com first item says the new contract will keep him with the Galaxy through the 2013 MLS season.

18. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    absolutely, but where were you on the "$2.25 million/year incl marketing/bonuses" portion of the projection?

that's a big number on its own.

19. SAMBA

SAMBA Member

Sep 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Just found out about the new Donovan deal, no way will I read 90 pages of comments. Anyway, I’ll take a guess and say a few people here are disappointed, maybe feeling a little let down expecting some really big news.

I see it as the best of both worlds for him; personally and professionally.
    I dont know the details of the contract but it seems as if he wants to live in California and occasionally play among the worlds best.

Fans that follow him as player and person could have easily guessed it.

That dude is just smart....good for him.

20. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

California is an absolutely beautiful place. I dont fault him at all.

21. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say that - if I were Donovan, at least part of me, would want to suceed in Europe and win things in a big league. And I don't think that this contract rules out a sale either if things go well in Everton.

22. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    And with $2M a year, he'll have plenty of income to redistribute and help close the deficit. Tax the rich!

23. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if things go well with Everton, it's unlikey he'll stay. LA is his hometown, he has a life there, he makes decent money there.

24. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    damn this thread is 92 pages long! waay too much to read

25. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    He needs to be MANDON in the World Cup next year to make up for not signing in europe.