Donovan rumor confirmed: A 2.5 mo. loan to Everton

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by lmorin, Oct 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Donovan rumors (Everton?)

What is he going to go do in 2 1/2 months, clean the stadium and work on the field. Ridiculous!!!!! Just stay home with your Galaxy team because in 2 1/2 months, you are only going to make a fool out of yourself. It is a no win situation, not long enough to make a difference, but long enough to be considered a failure once again!!

2. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rabble! Rabble rabble rabble!

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia

Then you've come to the right place!

4. BS49

BS49 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Drinking a beer
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I'm thinking it has nothing to do with proving something but everything to do with getting high quality play during a world cup year. He however risks the chance of getting injured in a rough league.

5. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So this is the Bayern Munchin deal all over again?

6. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for your input Schnitzel

[​IMG]

7. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY

At this stage of his career, I'm not too sure that Donovan can improve by playing in a high quality league. Is metrogo disappointed that Donovan never had a good run in Europe? Yes. Is metrogo curious to see how it would go? Yes. Does Landon Donovan owe it to metrogo to go to Europe and play with the big boys? Uhhh, no.

It's true, we may now never know just how Landon Donovan rates in the modern era of football. But if he's ok with that, I suppose the rest of us should be.

8. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio

Not quite. England doesn't have a winter break, so he'll have more real games to play in, but less time to get acclimated to the new team.

9. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY

Is that bad?

10. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004

Interesting. If i'm everton i think twice about a loan for a player than i may not be able to sign. Or at least that now i have to pay more for since he's under contract and not on soon to be out of contract. Maybe i'd go with someone that if they fit is a longer term option. Especially since Saha and Pienar have contracts that end soon.

11. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

By who, bigsoccer posters?

I'm sure Donovan is losing sleep over what we all think about him.

And without knowing the details of the contract, we don't know if this deal makes it harder for Donovan to sign with a European team, or easier. Don't forget that the league had two option years left on the original contract, so he wasn't free to sign anywhere anyway.

And if this new contract included some sort of buy-out clause, then Donovan might have increased him compensation in MLS AND made it easier to go to Europe if an interested team comes forward. Unfortunately, we won't know until this all plays out over the next two years.

Of course, not knowing anything never stops all of us from posting on bigsoccer....

12. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004

i'm not talking about posters on bigsoccer boards. I'm talking about the rest of the world that rates players on how they succeed in Europe. The south amercian press, the british press, the bbc, la marca, the spanish press, the African press, the people in asia that adore european soccer. What makes little sense to me is that you think you can somehow prove your the good enough by not playing the best week in and week out. you can't. It's his right. more power to him but there will always be questions. And the soccer world, the global soccer media is a lot bigger then the U.S. and posters on big soccer. They are miniscule by comparison. I'm not saying he has to do anything. I'm saying the situation is what it is and by chosing to stay in MLS he's chosen not to take the only path to proving to the world he's good enough to succeed long term in the best leagues in the world.

i wouldn't go that far. if he plays well he won't have failed. But nobody will hail him as a success for just being their and not being a game changer. And again he's not going to prove the worlds naysayers wrong by being good over just a short period of time.

13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

If he plays well, he's going to get offers. Period.

14. USAin2006

USAin2006 Member

Sep 7, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

IIRC, Brian McBride was on a short term loan with Moyes and scored 4 goals in 8 games. Sounds like more than cleaning the stadium to me:)

15. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True, that'll help at least in terms of getting matches under his belt.
    No just saying that its the same amount of time. Really with an eye towards getting back to LA in time to prepare for the season.

16. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What i'm saying is that there are players that teams pay 30 mil Euros and can't adjust in one year, but we are expecting a short loan player to really increase his chances to being bought by a Euro team.

17. Pinowski AP

Pinowski AP Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Genuinely disappointed by his agreement to the four-year contract. This, coupled with the news that the Everton deal is still up in the air, does not bode well for Donovan's growth as a player now or in the future.

His performance over a two-month period, no matter how spectacular, will not be enough to attract the attention of any club able to pay for him.

18. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LD coming up shortly on ESPN Deportes' Jorge Ramos show.... If anyone want to hear him en espa~ol

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Yeah, you can take that as a given REGARDLESS of what's been signed. In fact, as someone said earlier I believe, the fact that he's just signed a new 4 year deal only provides impetus to the argument that they intend to get as much as they can if he DOES get some offers.

Actually, now I come to think about it, wasn't Ronaldo given a new 5 year deal only about a year or so before Madrid bought him for £80m or whatever it was? I might be wrong though.

20. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004

my post was that if i'm everton, a team w/o a ton of funds, maybe i don't take the loan cause i could have got him cheaper if he's getting out of contract then if he's in a long term contract. It wasnt' about wether he'd get offers it's from everton's perspective. Do i want to take a chance on a loan when i'm going to pay a premium because he signed a new deal. He's unproven so it's a risk either way. So maybe i find someone on loan that's coming out of contract that i can pay less for. Maybe i go after Pavylchencko or someone, who is out of favor and apparently wants out and maybe i can get cheap long term. someone mentioned that madrid bought Ronaldo after he signed. i think the difference is Madrid has a massive budget and everton is a bit tighter with their money.

21. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Alan GOrdon will prepare him for EJ....
    LD is now on the phone in ESPN Deportes....

22. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia

Ah way to compare Stuart Holden to Ronaldo, Adriano, etc. They are obviously on the same level talent-wise.

23. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LD happy to play in the US of A.... WHen his contract is up in 2013 he'll think of his options again.... Happy with the financial aspect of things... Confirms prior Club AMerica interest,...but thought of EPL being the best league in the world, hence he turned down what was a VERY good offer $$ from AMerica.... thanks them anyway for their interest.... Hopes to adapt quickly to Everton where coach has not made any promises of PT but will be given a fair shot to get on the field...

24. BS49

BS49 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Drinking a beer
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Live on ESPNDeportes - saying he knows some will criticize his decision to play in the US and not in Europe but he loves playing in LA and the US and that he will have European opportunities later. Also saying the Everton deal is not done yet but very close. Cited a point in his early career where he was almost in England but he deal fell apart. Also confirmed that Club American submitted a good offer for him and thanked them and said he could also play in Mexico in the future.

25. USAin2006

USAin2006 Member

Sep 7, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't speak Spanish, but did LD confirm that he had the option of going to Club America on loan?

NEVERMIND -- After I submitted this, saw the post above:)