Donovan replaces Forlan

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Jon Rhine, Oct 26, 2003.

1. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree. he has a very high work rate, but also very skillful, and is good in the air.

he suites the english game.

2. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    What's the over-under on this thread making an appearance in WR in the near future?

3. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It won't. A lot of players could do better than Forlan.

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very high odds.

It seems quite civil by past standards.

So far. ;)

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy, however, makes a very astute point about Borghetti.

Wouldn't mind seeing him going on loan to a Premiership side, at the very least.

6. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    I agree, but I think Ruiz is right behind Borgetti, if not tied in terms of intrigue. He's fast, clever, powerful, physical and just has a nose for the goal. I'm not sure how Ruiz would fit in at ManU, but his game seems taylor-made for England.

7. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problm with Borghetti for ManU is that I think Donovan is a much better complement for RVN than Borghetti. Borghetti and RVN are somewhat similar players, whereas Donovan's more of a creative forward than an out and out striker.

Also Donovan, as mentioned, is two footed and can provide cover both on the left and right wings as well as an A-mid role.

I think he's a better player right now than Ronaldo, Fletcher and Forlan, and Solskjaer is hurt and will need some time to regain match fitness.

He fits.

8. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Ronaldo might have better dribbling skills than Donovan. Which is saying something.

9. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is accurate, but from what I've seen, Donovan has superior passing skills, both in vision and execution. Donovan's probably a touch quicker and faster, which, again, is saying something.

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    agree totally. Both are very good players. I think you could argue it either way. But it would be fun to watch them play together.

11. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    To even compare Diego Forlan to Landon Donovan is an insult to LD. Forlan is a nice little player, but Donovan is world class.

Honestly, I am shocked Donovan isn't already a part of Manchester United. He's a perfect fit for that side.

12. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    FWIW, I bought Donovan at Man Utd in my CM game and he led the league in assists in 2004/5 (2nd in goals) and 5/6 (3rd in goals), and in goals in 6/7 (RVN was hurt for a good part of that year).

13. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I agree. Talent wise they are probably the same, b/c of age and potential, Donovan has the more upside though.

14. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Donovan does best what Scholes does. And though I think he is the best current outfield US player, he is not as good as Scholes. He has better pace but technically and finishing-wise, he is not near as good.
    Some of you guys need to stop drinking that LD Kool-Aid.

15. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Spoken like a true BS poster. I question your credentials to be able to determine whoi has better technical and finishing skills. That's a very subjective subject, and should be prefaced with the obligatory IMVHO.
    And what does kool aid have to do with anything?

16. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was with the last line? Don't be a jerk.

First off, the point I just made, other than winning high balls, Donovan can do more or less whatever else you need an attacking player to do, from either side of the field. Most here didn't claim he was better than Scholes, but then neither are Fletcher, Ronaldo, Forlan or Bellion and they are all receiving a fair amount of playing time for ManU.

Second, Donovan is also seven and a half years younger than Scholes, and if Ferguson brings Donovan in to play 2nd forward, both the wings, and occassionally in Scholes spot, Donovan could both contribute, and serve an apprenticeship to Scholes, for a few years down the line when he definitely should be superior to Scholes. Maybe a 21 year old Donovan isn't as good as 30 year old Scholes, but a 24 year old Donovan ought to be better than a 33 year old Scholes. The best reason for a big club to buy Donovan right now is not for the very good player he currently is, but for the tremendous player he's capable of becoming.

Third, I don't know what Landon Donovan plays like when he doesn't have the entire defense keying on him, but he could be a very dangerous player with World Class attackers running off him.

17. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Forlan and Donovan, both have as much bottle as an aluminium recycling plant only the long haired one doesnt run home first opertunity he gets.

18. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

19. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland

Yep his sister was a huge part of that decision, he couldnt handle the period pains on his own!

20. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What brilliant insight you've brought to this thread. At least it lasted almost 3 pages before lunacy rears its ugly head and makes it unreadable. Thanks, Parkhead.

21. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Youre welcome.
    My point stands tho I think they are both as big a bottle merchant as each other.

22. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    for real. I was actually enjoying this thread before this page. I'll attempt to get it back on track....

Question, is there a such thing as TOO much speed? If you lined up Giggs, Donovan, and Ronaldo thats a lot of pace. Would they just simply out run their teamates?

23. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well, we have some people posting that he is world class etc on this thread. These are the ones I'm addressing. True he is a good little player and did great in the World Cup. But I was disappointed when he didnt the game game by the scruff of the neck when playing against Brazil and Turkey this year. We could debate how his supporting cast were weak but I don't remember him standing out. Sure enough he banged in 47 or so goals against Cuba but jeez, I'd probably score against Castro's team.
    BTW, don't start the usual backlash of "you're a Eurosnob, MLS-hater etc" because I believe in MLS.

24. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RVN can motor as well.

25. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was disappointed in his play at that time too, against Brazil and Turkey. But it's been documented that he wasn't mentally into it then for various reasons. I personally think that his biggest weakness is his mental game, but he's getting stronger there. I think his working through that this summer and regaining his focus is a testament to his growing maturity and development of that part of his game.