Donovan replaces Forlan

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Jon Rhine, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Jon Rhine

Jon Rhine New Member

Apr 22, 2003
    San Francisco
    I've watched enough Man U. to realize, as the skipper of that team no doubt has, that our Donovan could do a much better job for Man U. than Forlan has thus far done. It's no question that Fergie is predisposed to like the Yank work ethic and skill in goal it's only a matter of time before we get more field players. I think Donovan would do wonders to link midfield with the current strikers on Man U or, alternatively, Donovan could play upfront as Forlan has done but to much better effect.

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    This thread will get interesting.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    There are a number of Americans capable of improving Man U's offense including Donovan, Beasley, and Mathis.

4. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    andres mendoza of club brugge will replace forlan;)

5. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understatement of the day.

6. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    sure..when all the Eurosnobs get here.

The guy is completely correct. Forlan can't hold Donovan's jock, and you all know it.

7. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    thats a bit harsh

forlan is capable of scoring some great goals

8. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I totally agree that ManUre would be much better off with Donovan. But one thing I disagree with is Mathis. He is an overrated slob, who doesnt deserve to play in the EPL.

9. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'd fit in with Wolves because of the sponsor! :)

10. accion

accion Member

Nov 28, 1998
    dfw, texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    man u already have howard, spector and cooper, and soon enough szetela and adu, why not donovan too? manchester united states

11. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Forlan is hot and cold, something you don't want with a striker. I think he would do better with more playing time, but there is no real chance of that happening unless Ruud gets hurt (God forbid).

12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    And missing some even greater ones.

13. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps in a few years there will be more Americans starting for Man Utd than Englishmen and if it happens we must be sure to point it out on this site often! :)

14. Emre5

Emre5 New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    chelsea,the death of
    mathis is just finished. overweight, holds ball to long, looks disinterested too. beasley, maybe a bit lightweight for when olaf mellberg, sami hyppia, or sol campbell charge into him??

15. Jon Rhine

Jon Rhine New Member

Apr 22, 2003
    San Francisco
    Donovan replaces one Neville

I've seen matches where Ruud coudn't get service. Put Donovan in with that streaking Portuguese Ronaldo and Man U would have a pacey attacking side. Right now they rank at the bottom of the EPL in terms of scoring. What's missing is a Donovan-type player. Wouldn't surprise me to see a January departure during the open transfer window.

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I have to agree that Donovan would be an upgrade for Forlan.One concern- Donovan plays an awful lot like Scholes.He could wind up being Scholes back-up.So, I think Landon would do better there as a striker.

17. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    You are dead wrong about that.

1. He is not overweight.

2. He doesn't hold the ball long enough; he's too eager to one-touch to another player -- often on the opposing team.

3. I'd tackle your third point, but I just lost interest.

18. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Re: Donovan replaces one Neville

With United's current formation (4-5-1), Forlan really doesn't play a whole lot and if Landon was there, I don't think he would play much either.

United's formation is normally something like this:

-------------RVN-----------
    -----------Scholes/Giggs--------
    Giggs/Scholes-----------Ronaldo/Flethcer/Solskjaer
    ---------P.Neville/Butt--Keane-------
    O'Shea/Fortune--Rio--Silv---G. Neville
    -------------Howard--------------

Once Kleberson is healthy, he should be added to the midfield mix. My point is that if Donovan went to Man Utd, I really don't see him getting much playing time.

19. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Indeed, he isn't as nearly a good a midfielder as Scholes is.

I would love to see LD at ManU. After a month, he'd be in every newspaper in Europe.

20. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Re: Re: Donovan replaces one Neville

Well I think they could do a few things with LD. IMHO I think a 442 with him along side RVN would be better than a 5 man midfield with 2 DMids.

so...

---------------Howard----------------------
    ----GNev----Rio----Brown----O'Shea-----
    --------------------------------------------
    ----------------Keano-----------------------
    ---Pretty Boy---------------------Giggsy
    ---------------Scholes----------------------
    ----------------------------------------------
    -----------LD--------------------------------
    ------------------------RVN------------------
    -----------------------------------------------

That would be my lineup.

21. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Re: Re: Donovan replaces one Neville

I think the point was that Donovan wouldn't get a lot of time, just as much as Forlan normally gets and do a better job with it. Also, Donovan could be more versatile than Forlan, perhaps subbing at Rmid sometimes.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Actually, among CONCACAF strikers, I think the most intriguing option for the English game and ManUtd specifically would be Jared Borgetti.

23. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Hell, I don't even think Forlan could hold Forlan's jock judging by his ineptness with sitters.

24. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's the crux of the argument right there.

The level of Donovan's domestic competition may not be up there with that of Forlan's, but I'll betcha that LD converts more of those sitters and profligate misses than most other players would.

Not saying pro or con whether he'd go to Manchester United or any other Premiership team, but for a point of context, just recall how well Brian McBride did for Everton last year during his loan spell.

Sooner or later, Donovan will deserve his shot on a bigger stage, as far as club soccer goes.

25. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    donovan, o'brien, bocanegra, reyna, pope, keller, and friedel could all contribute to man united... but thats about it. and some of them may not necessarily be starters. however, that is not an insult to any of those guys, as only superstars like tim howard start day in and out for that squad.

;)