Donovan question...

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Galileo777, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Galileo777

Galileo777 New Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Sec 134, Row G
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know he's injured right now, but assuming that he gets better by the 14th...
    does anyone know if Donovan will play against San Jose on the 14th and still play against Barbados for WC qualifying at the HDC the following day?

2. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubt it. This is a World Cup Qualifier. I'm pretty sure the team has to release the players a couple days ahead of time.

3. ManUnitedForever

ManUnitedForever New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    The sad reality is the USMNT has no depth at striker and LD is needed to put the ball in the net. I think you're right; he will be released a few days prior.

4. Cobifan

Cobifan New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    It is a bummer for the Galaxy... But on a USMNT point... It will be nice to see Donovan get his 100th cap at the Home Depot Center!
    Heal well Landon! ;)

5. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about this weekend? He is listed as questionable on the Galaxy's injury report and says he will be evaluated later in the week. Almost sounds as though if he gets the clearance he'd play but I would expect if he were able to go then it would be against Argentina and not the Crapids right?

6. Galileo777

Galileo777 New Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Sec 134, Row G
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 things:

1. Graham Jones is still an idiot... his articles about the Euro Cup these last few days are completely stupid.

2. Still haven't heard anything about whether or not Donovan will join the US team against Argentina...hoping USA will make a better showing than Mexico...that was hilarious!

7. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's on the 19 man roster released a couple hours ago. So he'll definitely be there, I would assume he will play too.

8. ashaman112

ashaman112 New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Also from the LAG blog...
    http://thelagalaxy.blogspot.com/2008/06/thursday-training.html

9. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I don't know if anyone else has thought of this (of course they have) but I just realized something about the US v. ARG game on Sunday. If Landon doesn't play, that means those of us going to the barbados game at the HDC would see him get his 100th cap in person. That would be awesome, and cool for him too, to do it in his home stadium in front of his biggest fans. I'm selfishly kind of hoping he doesn't play this weekend. Anyone with me?

10. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These groin injuries are a total JOKE and laziness on the players behalf. You hear it in the NFL all the time too and it's pathetic how athletes who are paid a million dollars or more a year can't take the time to stretch for 2 minutes a day!! Or even just 3 times a week!

I am very flexible and can do the splits all 3 ways and I don't get paid a cent to do. Once you have that level of flexibility you CAN'T get a groin strain because you're already pulled all the way! That's why trainers always recommend stretching but so many pro athletes don't listen!

If Donovan had been more flexible he would've played in both of these huge internationals (England and Spain) and he could've played for the Galaxy too.

11. tehphil

tehphil Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Colorado
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The really sad part is that without LD, the USMNT is, I won't say ordinary, but rather a team not to be feared. Can they win an odd match without him? Maybe. But LD is the key to USMNT success. And LAG success, too.

13. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep in mind this is Donovan's first groin injury.

Oh, and he does take yoga. Since 2005. He credits it with helping him stay relatively injury free.

But he might not be able to do the splits all 3 - 3!!?? - ways. (I can only imagine 2 ways; I'm scared to think about a third way.)

14. Linus Tulagi

Linus Tulagi Member

Jan 5, 2006
    St. Paul, Mn
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't it possible that Donovan won't be called up for the Barbados game? The Nats should be able to handle them without him, and he needs some time to heal.

15. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dunno. The USMNT is playing some pretty bad football right now. I don't know if they could take the chance of not calling on LD

16. sacris00

sacris00 New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Burbank
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think we will have a full house tonight?
    Are you really concerned about the Gals and our players or just trolling through?
    you always come up with something that is not good for the Gals.
    Gino,Gino:eek: :rolleyes:

17. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course I'm concerned otherwise I wouldn't be saying what Donovan should be doing to stay healthy and injury free. It only takes a few seconds 3 to 4 times a week. ALL of us can do that.

StillKickin, doing yoga can mean just doing some very simple stretching and breathing. That's not enough. With the extreme intensity of a 90 minute soccer game you need to make sure you are flexible enough so you don't get injured.

There are 3 ways to do the splits. You split looking straight ahead, then you turn your left foot forward and turn your hips to the left and touch your head to your knee if you can. Do the same for the right and that's 3 ways.

If Donovan could do that he would NEVER get a groin pull unless 2 people literally grabbed his legs and started pulling them apart! LOL!

18. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    Dude, that is the biggest unadulterated BUNK I have ever heard.

Stretching is vital to preventing injury, however, you can still injure a muscle if it gets kicked for instance. There are many others ways it can be injured. Landon is one of the hardest working athletes I have ever seen. He really works hard to stay in good shape for such a small guy.

Anyway, that is one of the dumbest theories I have ever heard.

19. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You obviously know NOTHING about the human body. Getting kicked in the muscle is different than a groin pull or strain dumbass. I've gotten my pre-certification in personal training and I've met Lou Ferrigno and Arnold Schwarzenneger at the Mr.Olympia contest where they have clinics on stretching and flexibility.

You are a total idiot if you think being very flexible doesn't prevent groin pulls which it CLEARLY does.

20. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sir, you are making an ass out of yourself. To assert that Landon (a professional athlete) could have avoided this injury with a little bit of stretching, and blaming him for "laziness" is just flat out ridiculous. I can't imagine you will convince anyone here with your deeply flawed argument. Injuries happen and are part of sports, usually it's not the players fault.

21. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    Look, I didn't say stretching doesn't prevent injuries. Unfortunately, it doesn't prevent ALL injuries. Since you bring up credentials. I am a doctor (MD) but apparently know nothing about the human body. Oh, and which Medical school did you attend?

Anyway, I AGREE WITH YOU that stretching is a valuable tool. However, there are many injuries that stretching will not prevent. If you can't see that fine, I think most reasonable people can.

22. Falsify

Falsify Member

Jul 28, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a doctor but I remember reading articles disproving many of the common misconceptions about stretching.

As far as I know, it won't prevent injuries unless they are injuries to do with the tendons. For example stretching right before a game will not make you become significantly flexible for the match - - in fact it may have the opposite effect.

23. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The proof is in the personal experience. Find me any athlete who does the FULL splits all 3 ways before ANY type of game and I guarantee you he will have a SIGNIFICANTLY less chance of a groin pull injury. Remember we are only talking about groin pulls and strains because that's what Landon has.

Soccerobsession, we are not talking about a "little" bit of stretching. Less than 1% of the population can do the full splits. I bet Landon can't do the splits and if he can he must not have done it before the game.

It really does work. Just train and do the splits yourself and you will FEEL the difference.

24. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is little value as "proof" in personal experience. That is only anecdotal evidence.

Then you say there's "significantly less chance of a groin injury". Well. I suppose that could be true, but that's a far cry from a guarantee, and you haven't provided any proof at all. Your personal experience is interesting, but it has nothing to do with what Landon does or doesn't do to prevent injuries, or what would be effective if he did it.

25. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Donovan had stuck it out in Europe, he wouldn't have strained his groin....