Donovan Nixed From Real Madrid Game

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLSinHD, Jul 13, 2005.

1. RussD

RussD New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    The Gold Cup is like a mini-version of MLS...too many games against too few teams in too long a competition. I would like to see the Gold Cup go from 12 teams to a semi-final (skip the quarters). That would give us the US, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Honduras in the semi-finals without putting us to sleep first...

2. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    but releasing landon for a FRIENDLY is essential when there is a trophy on the line?

3. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    True dat...

4. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, its not ESSENTIAL. But it would make the friendly a better sales event for the league, not unlike the all star game. My main point is that it wouldn't cost the Bruce a whole lot to do it. So, it has some potential upside for US soccer in the sense of showing the league in a good light, and little downside for US soccer because it doesn't really hurt the national team. Not ESSENTIAL (very little in life is really "essential") but it would have been nice.

5. pwave

pwave Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ValleyOfHeartsDelite
    Isn't it sold out/destined to be sold out regardless of Donovan's appearance?

6. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    i think the sales benefit of beckham, ronaldo, zidane, roberto carlos, and michael owen far oughtweighs the sales detriment that not having landon does.

7. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Only lawn seats were available as of yesterday.

8. Revs007

Revs007 Member

Nov 11, 2000
    Boston
    WTF?!?!?!

I have plenty of positive reps and just two neg reps from two jackasses who are just full of themselves and now I got a red nipple next to my name? What's up with that? What makes it worse is that I was neg repped 2-3 weeks ago by those two holier than thou low lives!

Great! Now I'm going to be perceived to be in the same class as other idiot posters on these boards. What a crock o' sh_t :rolleyes:

9. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    LD wimped out and is hiding behind Bruce

gold cup is crap

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you know this how?

11. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    Bianca told me

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but who would subscribe to that theory??? It's a friendly. Watch in the next few months, you'll see some crazy, crazy results in friendlies. Was it Walsall that beat ManU, the clinching goal coming on a long chip that went off the crossbar, then off Barthez' back, that ended Barthez' ManU career? If not Walsall, it was some other then-Div. 2 team. They beat ManU by 2 goals. Who cares?

13. These matches give fans a chance to have these kinds of discussions. That alone makes them valuable. Does LA vs. Real Madrid sound any worse that Wigan vs. Man U.? There are disparities between the haves and have nots in all sports. But having a chance to face such opponents gives MLS credibility.
    No matter what happens, MLS can't win. If they beat RM, then RM was out of season and not really trying. If they lose by a few, same argument. If they lose by a lot, see how bad they are.
    But the buildup, attendance, and discussion are worth it, and a few converts may see MLS as improving. I hope all three MLS teams fare well.

14. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS

15. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry. Bad choice of words. I meant a showcase event with an opportunity for the league to "sell" itself to people who are drawn in by the allure of RM. Its like the all-star game in that it has the flavor of an "event." And, you are right, it has sold out with most people knowing that LD was unlikely to be there. But I meant something more general than gate receipts.

16. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your point. But I wasn't talking about advancing the league's image among hard core BigSoccer types. This will draw a different and broader audience. Sure, they will be drawn by RM and they will hope to see some of the Galacticos' skills on display. And they probably will be rewarded. But surely it is better for the league to make a credible showing if possible. And LD being there would help toward that end. And, as I said, it would come at little or no cost to the USMNT.

17. Revs007

Revs007 Member

Nov 11, 2000
    Boston
    I think most of the bigsoccer posters miss the point. A game like this is going to reach more than just the hardcores who post on this message board. Every point Cadaver makes is certainly a valid one and should not be ignored.

How we forget the cries on Bigsoccer when all the ChampionsWorld tour games where drawing more people than MLS' All-Star game. Have we not learned time and time again that there is a soccer market out there that MLS has not had success drawing. That's exactly the market this game will attract.

It's a shame Landon will not be there, but I certainly understand the circumstances as unfortunate they may be. Personally I'm just thrilled this game will be on TV.

18. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sort of bummed LD won't be there. But I can't wait to see the game -- especially Ned Grabavoy. He looked the part last week, maybe he can turn some heads.

19. pwave

pwave Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ValleyOfHeartsDelite
    If AEG cared about the appearance to "more than just the hardcores who post on this message board" then they would have scheduled the Fire v. Real Madrid in Chicago and real Chivas v. Real Madrid in LA. This is not a benchmark of MLS v. the world. This is AEG trying to make a buck.

20. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, apparently it's not set in stone that Donovan won't be there.

http://cybersoccernews.com/mls/galaxy/050715gal-chivadv.shtml
    I don't know, I'm starting to lean towards Donovan getting released to play. Perhaps AEG and Galaxy and MLS aren't taking no for an answer.

21. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Barring massive injuries, Bruce releases him for a half. No way Real Madrid comes to town, and Bruce says no

22. Revs007

Revs007 Member

Nov 11, 2000
    Boston
    What and not try to showcase arguably the most succesful club off the field the LA Galaxay to a broader audience in America?

Their definately trying to make a buck, I'm not disputing that. All things aside, this game will certainly have a more pronounced buzz to it more-so than the Chivas - Real Madrid game in Chicago.

23. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    FYI - No MLS club has won more games on the field than the L.A. Galaxy. None have a better record through the ten years of the league.

Of course, off the field it's no contest as well, but sometimes all the people who jeer about the Cups we've lost forget what it took to get to those finals in the first place.

The Galaxy have earned the matchup against Real Madrid - the one they were cheated of years ago - and for more than just attendance and profits and a nifty stadium.

24. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I really believe you are all overestimating Real Madrid here. I can't see them winning by more than 2 goals.

Prediction Real 2-1 Galaxy. ( I wouldn't be supprised with a 1-1 draw without Donnovan)

25. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most LD could play against RM would be 45 min. And considering the travel from Houston and playing a full international in the heat just 2 days prior, he will probably play poorly and be susceptible to an injury.

And there will always be the following years when MLS can better schedule matches against euro teams now that AEG is the promoter.

So I'll give BA the benefit of the doubt on this.