Donovan Nixed From Real Madrid Game

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLSinHD, Jul 13, 2005.

1. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone's responses seem to imply that Landon would miss a match for the USA, and I just don't think that would be the case.

The cost to the USMNT wouldn't be that they would be without landon, only that he might be :

a) jet lagged
    b) a little tired
    c) possibly injured, but that could happen anywhere, including practice for the USMNT.

It wouldn't take Landon out of Thursday's semifinal unless he walks back to the east coast.

2. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Not assigning blame. Just saying that Bruce has been outspoken about not liking the scheduling of games while the national team plays. This case might just be one of those unavoidable conflicts, but still, Bruce will keep Donovan make his point.

3. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    However, if US Soccer decided to cast that logic completely aside, there'd be no penalty for it.

Yes, but had we played in the last Copa America and done well, we'd have a good shot to be seeded in this WC, so there might have been some benefit.

At the same time, it is true that the Copa has a few problems of its own. Including one common problem: both tournaments are played once every two years, where they should be played once every four. (Combining the two of them, as voros has suggested, and forcing the minnows to qualify for it would probably be a good idea as well.)

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least they're glorified friendlies. Real is an unglorified friendly.

5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    We once came in third place in that tournament, and we're a better team than that today, so it's possible.

6. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only we'd accept the invitations to participate in it!

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Perhaps this is Landon's decision. Or does it matter what he wants? Maybe the players don't think of the Gold Cup as a worthless trophy like you guys seem to.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with the thought, you still run into the problem that this was true of a number of players missing from their teams on the 4th of July weekend (Mastroeni, Armas, Pope, etc.) and they weren't allowed to return to their teams for league matches, so why should Landon be allowed to return for a friendly?

9. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think we more or less have looked at these games as glorified friendlies. However, if we played Mexico in the final, that would be a rivalry game that technically 'counts for something' (though, what do you get for being 'North American Champions' really?) so I have to believe they'd play that one pretty fiercely.

10. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    YES.... Sadly we have created a mountain of faux excuses that keeps us from doing so.

11. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    You could argue that those clubs don't really have a beef, since this game doesn't count in the league standings, anyway. But of course, it counts on the bottom line, so you could make a beef there.

12. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    So, subbing in Wolff, Donovan, and O'Brien late in the game against cuba to get a spark when he could have subbed in more scrubs proves that the Gold Cup is just a testing ground? Sure it's partly a testing ground, but he also obviously wants to WIN these games.

13. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Shouldn't we treat our own tournament seriously though? ​
    Everytime someone mentions a tournament other than the WC and the Euro it gets poo poo'd as a contest that doesn't matter. As a nation that is trying to grow a soccer culture, it might be nice to see us take most tournaments seriously and participate in as many as possible. ​

14. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I didn't see the game. Can I just assume Wolff did nothing as usual?

15. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.

where the US team will play the quarter final if in CA so why not ?! but if in eastcoast it's impossible for him to fly accrooss the country to play friendly.

16. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    he missed a header he really should have got. he looked pretty sharp. (i am not a fan of wolff)

17. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    every soccer player wants to play against world stars like beckham, but how about donovan? it seems to me he doesn't care...

18. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I don't get why a striker that never scores get so much playing time. I just dont get it. When was the last time Wollf actually scored in a National Team jersey?

19. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    he knows he gets to play against them and others like them next summer in games that actually mean something

20. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's why I said, its not like he doesn't want to win. But, are you telling me the US is so weak that it can't face Jamaica without LD?

LD is in the same position as Claudio Reyna - Bruce doesn't need to use Reyna or LD in a friendly to know what they bring to the team. If winning were really that important to Bruce, why don't we have our whole first team in?

Look, I like and approve of what Bruce is doing with this cup - its the best way to get USMNT ready for the big stage. All I am saying is that playing LD is not an essential part of what he's trying to do now.

21. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because releasing a player for a friendly does not undermine the integrity of the competition in the league. (And don't forget Bruce DID release Matt Reis to play for NE but did not release Landon to play for LAG in the very same game.)

I assume that basically Bruce respects the integrity of the competition in league play and (with this one obvious exception) did not want to be seen as playing favorites or putting his thumb on the scale in favor of one team or another. Letting LD go for the RM game impacts no other MLS club adversely, and if you subscribe to the theory that the RM game is a "test" of the league's strength, then arguably all MLS clubs profit from having LD play in the RM game.

22. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But again, even if he released Landon, he'd still have him for Saturday's match against Jamaica and for Thursday's semi-final against CR/HON

23. Revs007

Revs007 Member

Nov 11, 2000
    Boston
    The problem with the Gold Cup is timing. Having the Gold Cup amidst WCQ is just pure stupid and it completely devalues the competition.

Personally the Gold Cup blows. You want an example. US v Costa Rica in Salt Lake blew that attrocious affair in Foxoro the other night completely out of the water.

24. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know in times past there have been some conflicts with the use of LD's time and he's basically said, "I'll go where they tell me to go." So I kind of doubt it's his decision.

And from the article, it appears that U.S. Soccer is not the least bit interested in having Landon fly back and forth across the country in between games. It's been obvious in this tournament that the team lacks a lot when he (and Beasley) are not on the field. I'm assuming they just value him too much to risk the extra wear and tear.

But as someone pointed out, he wouldn't actually be missing any games and perhaps he could just be used for a half in either game.

It would have been fun to see him get reacquainted with Figo :), but I'm gonna enjoy the game anyway. Glad it's on TV.

25. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    ok ok.. How about one other tournament that we take seriously between World Cups. I would be happy with one at this point.