Donovan Nixed From Real Madrid Game

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLSinHD, Jul 13, 2005.

1. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Your opinion. The quality is much better than the quality we are interupting MLS season for. You buy into the excuses, I think they are **********'s. Difference of opinion I suppose. But with that frame mind, what other tournament other than the World Cup should the US play in?​
    Additonally, the 'didn't want to interupt the season' excuse doesn't fly either. They interupted to play a litny of friendly games anyway. BS excuse.​

2. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    The game is somewhat a joke....Galaxy without Donovan is a pretty plain team (and also the other 3 guys) .

Galaxy will keep score low, since they'll be running all over field, busting their ass, and are in shape. Real will 'keep the score low' as another poster said...by not going 100%.

Its going to be a laugh. But I hope Galaxy get on the board early to keep it respectable.

3 or 4 to 1 to Madrid..

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    once again- we are in CONCACAF and the Gold Cup is our championship.However much you wish, we are in North America.Copa is the South American chamionship. We made the last 8 of the WC without Copa and playing just the Gold Cup.

4. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    If you only goal as a soccer nation is to qualify for the WC, then I guess you should be satisfied. I think we should be striving for more than that. Just my opinion, i understand lots of you guys are satisfied with where we are..

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Of course. Because everyone one knows that CONCACAF is a joke, so why not release him.

Then in two years they'd be able to point out that "hey, Landon Donovan played a friendly for his club - during the Gold Cup - so it must be a joke!"

:p

6. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Exactly, the make these tourny's important, we have to treat them as though they are important.

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    UNAM beat Real last year and at Bernabeu to boot.

8. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, for one, would like to see Donovan get to play against Real Madrid.

Any chance the Reggae Boyz will do us exhibition game fans a favor and beat the USMNT on Saturday?

9. MLSinHD

MLSinHD Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that in order for the Galaxy to be real competitive in this match, they need Landon Donovan. Perhaps the Galaxy will be competitive without him but in all honesty, I can't see them beating Real or drawing even. With him they have a chance but without him I doubt it. Personally I believe the Galaxy ought to have first priority over him since they (in this case MLS/AEG) are the ones paying his contract. The U.S. team has enough good players on their roster that they could afford to drop Landon for this game, even though its getting to crunch time in the Gold Cup. I believe the game against Real should not be taken as an exhibition but played as a regular season match. All MLS fans should be pushing hard for a Galaxy win or at least a tie to show that our league is for real.

10. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Is this ReAl game even on TV?

11. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox Soccer Channel, according to their schedule for next week.

12. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! I don't care as much as Donovan playin i just wanna see the game. Besides, the semi's and finals of the Gold Cup are in NY. I want to see us in em..

13. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't. While I'm happy Real is playing the Galaxy, its an exhibition.

14. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    This mirrors the decision to make Chivas players skip the Libertadores Cup to play in the Confederations Cup. I was against that since the Confederations Cup is a fake tournament and the Libertadores is old and prestigious and no Mexican team (I think) has ever won it.

I do not think of the Gold Cup as a fake tournament, though. A shabby one, yes. Moreoever, if UNAM beat Madrid in Spain, then the Galaxy are only playing for the right to say they are as good as UNAM (and maybe not even that - no road win). And only people with FSC will be able to watch this match on television.

It just doesn't seem like enough to me. I sympathize with the argument for including Donovan in what should be a gala affair, to represent MLS there. But this is not a gala affair. It just doesn't feel like one to me. It's not big enough. I think Donovan should stay with the national team.

15. Midnight Attack

Mar 13, 2005
    U.S.A|Jamaica|DCU
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dont worry. We will.

16. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Normally I'll take country over club every single time. However, in this case, I don't really see a problem with Landon playing a half against Madrid on Monday. He'd still be 100% in his match against Jamaica on Saturday and then the US don't play again until Thursday and even then it's against Honduras or CR, not Mexico or South Africa (The only two teams remotely impressive in this tournament.)

Landon would not miss any US matches and in all likelyhood only need to play 45 at the HDC.

I'm not furious or anything but I would have liked to see the Bruce be a little more flexible.

Mike

17. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying Bruce doesn't want to win the Gold Cup, but isn't it pretty clear from his selections and line-ups that he is treating this as a useful laboratory to play with different players and different formations? And that's fine - without Gold Cup he would probably set up a bunch of friendlies to prep for WCQ games for just the same reason.

So, what does he need to learn about Landon? Nothing. Having Landon with the USMNT in Gold Cup is superfluous to Bruce's clear objective - test his depth and test his formations.

So, it would not be a big deal to release LD for the Real game. No matter what we think of the Gold Cup, Bruce's actions have made it eminently clear what he thinks of the Gold Cup.

18. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Thank you.

19. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    I admit my MLS Cup comment was way over the top, but I think the main theme is still correct.

20. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Bruce wants to force MLS to schedule better and take breaks when the national team plays. Keeping Donovan and make MLs go without its biggest star in a spotlight game will push them in that direction.​

21. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    True, Bruce is clearly a one tournament poney. He cares about nothing else except the qualifying for and playing in the World Cup. ​
    PS: In the last 10 years or so, which tournaments have we actually won?​

22. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fine and all in general, but surely MLS and more specifically the LA Galaxy had no options when it came to scheduling this game. Real's Asian tour was scheduled and it was basically "play us at this time, or don't play us at all."

What would you do if you were the Galaxy? Of course you'd play Real so you could charge $50 a seat for lawn tickets :eek:

23. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We won the Gold Cup which is probably realistically the only international tournament we can have a reasonable expectation of winning.

24. nsamsarmy

nsamsarmy New Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Why do they 'need' Donovan in the Gold Cup? It's not a first rate competition. We didn't bring in all of our top players, and neither did any other team in the tournament, for the most part. Hell, even South Africa didn't bring their best 11. It's sad that a tournament that is really pointless (Unless you factor in the Confederations Cup possibility, which Arena probably won't coach in next time around) is an excuse to keep the club's best player. It would be different if this competition actually meant something. Do we really care about winning it? I don't. All that matters is the WC. I'm almost never a club-over-country guy, but this is just crap.

25. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I might think we would have an outside chance at winning COPA.