Donovan - National Team Jersey# question.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Cruiseman, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Cruiseman

Cruiseman Member

Feb 28, 2005
    Cotati, CA
    Hello everyone,

My apologies if this has been asked an answered before, but I'm going to be ordering a USMNT jersey from their site and I want Donovan's. There are two numbers listed for him. #10 and #21. Anyone know the story behind this. During Gold Cup he wore #10 so that's the one I'm probably going to get.

Just curious as to when and why he switched and if he still wears #21 on occasion.

Thanx!

2. gaucho

gaucho Member

Dec 17, 2001
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Reyna plays, he usually gets #10 due to seniority. LD plays with #10 whenever Claudio's not around.

3. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Yeah Donovan will be wearing #10 exclusively from WC 2006 (after which assuming Reyna retires from international play) until Donovan's run with the team ends...which will be far far in the future, so that'd be the one to get.

4. Cruiseman

Cruiseman Member

Feb 28, 2005
    Cotati, CA
    Thanks.. #10 it is.

5. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have wondered the same thing. The new jerseys come out in spring 2006, so Reyna #10 will still be available, but those jerseys should last 2 years, a year and a half of which LD will rock the #10.

For me I've already decided on JOHNSON #9 when the new ones come out :)

6. turbostevo

turbostevo New Member

Jun 5, 2001
    dallas
    i'm a dork and got my own name with a random number. Sweet.

:)

7. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the random number?

8. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    The players in camp get to choose their number in order based on the number of caps they have.

9. turbostevo

turbostevo New Member

Jun 5, 2001
    dallas
    On the particular jersey in quesiton, #1. :)

10. NYC

NYC New Member

Nov 1, 1999
    That doesn't seem very random at all. Your generator must be on the fritz.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yep. A similar, but lesser talked pair like Donovan and Reyna are Beasley and Lewis. Beas wears #17 when Lewis is playing and #7 when he isn't.

I should go update the spreadsheet I put together last year tracking numbers.

12. turbostevo

turbostevo New Member

Jun 5, 2001
    dallas
    :rolleyes:

13. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Speaking of purchasing a US jersey: I've seen a few websites selling the blue US jersey with player name and number for $90. The cheapest I've seen was $80 (but the style of the numbers didn't look like exact replica).

Does anybody know of an online store where you can get a a blue away US jersery for a less expensive price?

14. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    If it was trully a random number, then the probabilty of the selection of #1 would be the same as any other number in the selected range.

Nerd alert! :eek:

15. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    If you really want to mix things up, I've got a picture of him wearing #20, I think from the game in Foxboro against Jamaica when we clinched WC02 birth.