Donovan in Never-Everton Land

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by orcrist, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always wanted to be the one to start a YA thread :)

So here's my naming attempt... let'er rip!

2. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    subscribes

3. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First Page! Here's hoping for more good things

4. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    last Donovan thread was...828 posts? is that right?

5. soccermusician

Oct 20, 2004
    i feel lazy to search in this foru, but the other day on youtube there was a video of landon in his debut for everton, highlights of just hi... anyone know?

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're onto a winner! :)

7. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what do you guys think the chances of:

A) Successful loan (which it appears).

B) Long term move to Everton (logistics and such).

Personally I'd like to think that if Landon can continue his progress from last game that he will have a de facto successful loan spell. I'd also like to believe that Moyes will understand that Landon is a special talent. I believe if pressured by Everton and Landon, he could be sold for something of 10-15 million. Surely the 25 million pounds they received for Joleon Lescott deserves to be invested back into on the field talent. If Landon is bought it will probably be after the World Cup. Which is quite the risk for both Galaxy and MLS. If the US performs well with the help of Donovan, then the price will go up. If they tank a la 2006, his price will deflate marginally. Perhaps 2-3 million.

Landon has the opportunity to play in 9 more league games. My guess is that he'll play in 7 of them. I'm uncertain as to his Europa status. There's an SI article out as well:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andrea_canales/01/11/donovan.wenger/

Arsene seems pretty keen on Donovan. Arsenal TV has played the interviews of his ravings quite a bit. Wegner is no dummy to the growing trend of cheap US Prospects, which is why he's not only linked to Luis Gil but also Dustin Correa. One of the interesting tidbits this season is the amount of Prem managers discussing how the British Work Permit system has become a real bother in signing certain American's.

8. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Got to say I was impressed with Donovan, he slotted in so perfectly tot he side and looked very comfortable with the team. He had a solid debut and looked quick, sharp, comfortable on the ball, good workrate and good passing too - shame he tired at the hour mark but he done good and I look forward to seeing him play again at the weekend.

He has some massive games in his spell with us, as tough as you can probably get so it's a real test but so far so good.

I read a lot about the 'failed' times in Germany but from what I gather he was never given a fair crack. That is one thing David Moyes will always give a player, and he makes them feel wanted and appreciated (giving him the #9 jersey shows that - it is really a special shirt and number for Evertonians, usually worn by the most loved and worshipped player at the club, it had a huge history going way back) and gets them really involved and engrained into the club - even for such a short space in time.

I won't drag into a debate about permanent deals or whatever, if it happens then it happens but alls I know is I'm gonna just enjoy watching LD while he is here, however long that may be.

EDIT: I forgot to say, everyone around me at the game on the weekend also agreed he looked very promising and he got a big standing ovation from our fans as he left the field :D

9. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    English are only now seeing the true Donovan we Americans have seen and enjoyed watching all these years.

Oh and first page. :D

10. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Landon has a buyout in his contract. He can negotiate personal terms with any club that meets it.

11. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    Thanks for stopping by Arteta's Girl. We always appreciate the supporters perspective.(unless you post something negative :p)

12. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With respect to long-term, don't assume anything. Moyes does have a history - two successful loan spells with Brian McBride but the player wound up with Fullerton. Moyes' history is one of takling Yanks on loan and giving them time, but not buying them.

13. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I'll keep you guys updated if you want? I go pretty much every game that I can (got a season ticket and go most away games) so I'll give my thoughts on how he does :)

Can't see much negative coming if he carries on the way he started ;)

14. Lombard

Lombard Member

Jul 6, 2007
    It's worth keeping in mind that this summer Moyes paid a reported 8.9 million pounds for Diniyar Bilyaletdinov. That amounts to 14 or 15 million dollars. Wahl has said Donovan's price has always been around Jozy's price (~10 million dollars). And Moyes started Donovan over Bilyaletdinov this weekend. It's true that its one game, and the Russian is three years younger, but I don't think Donovan's price will put him out of the question for Everton.

15. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I keep seeing that Donovan has buy-out, which is fine and all. But, unless we know how much the buy-out is, we don't really know much because basically any player is for sale, it is always just a matter of how much. A buy-out of 5-7 million and it would be a surprise if someone didn't snap him up as long as his time continues to go well. A buy-out of 15 mil+ and that's another story all together.

16. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10 things we learned from the games that made it at the weekend…

2. Landon “USA!” Donovan might actually be a very good loan signing for Everton. The American skipper may have repeatedly cramped up at The Emirates due to him lacking match fitness, but for a man making his Premier League debut, he impressed. A strong, brave tireless performance, particularly considering for long stretches in the game he was playing outside of his natural position.

17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Would that be upright or prone?

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Except Tim Howard.

He was on loan for the 06-07 season, and then Everton bought him for a reported 3 million pounds (I don't think that's ever been officially disclosed).

Quite a bargain, there. They won't get Donovan for 3 million.......................but I'm jumping waaaaaaaaay ahead of myself.

19. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep... MLS price tag is sure to be on high side

20. Pandy Flapjack

Pandy Flapjack The Pompitous of Love

Aug 30, 2003
    Van by the River
    Landon was born to play for Everton - Everything about his game is Moyes football. Pace, skill, vision, he can play the right flank!

In the poetic words of Bob Dylan, Landon...May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung....may you stay, ForEverton.

21. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    If memory serves, McBride had offers from both Fulham and Everton, and chose London over Liverpool. I sort of recall the Everton contract was better (longer term, more money), but he was moving his family and lifestyle played a part in the choice.

Edit: a bit of research suggests it may have been Fulham and Blackburn vying for McBride, although Everton had tried to extend McBride's loan (and MLS rejected the request). I retract my response.

22. Bradley's Glare

Jul 31, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Preston North End FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May you always be courageous, Stand upright and be strong may you stay FOREVERTON!

23. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man City looked aces yesterday, albeit against a woeful Blackburn. And who was in the stands but David Moyes -- sitting next to Phil Brown (but looking like he'd rather not be photographed with him).

Tevez' hat trick was impressive, but Benjani was excellent up top. A bit lackadaisical but extremely effective working with Bellamy and Tevez. Kind of a shocker, but if he keeps that up they won't miss Adebayor too much.

Mancini also played Garrido at left back behind Bellamy. If Landon plays again I'd expect him to be busier helping with Bellamy then harrying Garrido. The spaniard is a good defender but if LD gets a good jump on him, I don't there's a question who's winning a foot race.

24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    The assistant referee?

25. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True for Mcbride, untrue for Howard. Was Max Moore during Moyes' time?