Donovan: "I don't care" who next USMNT coach is

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by subbuteo, Sep 12, 2006.

1. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess this was in appropriate on the USN&A forum (apologies to mods if the case) because it disappeared.

Link to Donovan interview at goal.com:
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=125898

Interesting quotes with regard to his thoughts about next US coach

Who thinks Donovan will or will not be guaranteed a spot?

2. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Using Donovan's words, "I don't care".

Seriously, I don't care if he is a lock or not. Competition for all roster spots is a good thing.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    1. LD will not be guaranteed a spot.
    2. LD will not need a guaranteed spot. He'll earn his spot (without much difficulty).
    3. LD should learn to respond "No comment," as opposed to "I don't care."

4. beejoo

beejoo New Member

Mar 10, 2000
    Lincoln, NE
    Who ever becomes the next USMNT coach is a big stupid face.

5. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    with an attitude such as this, i'd be more than happy to never seem him pull on the red/white/blue jersey again.

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you. It looks like Donovan took a little media class from Bruce Arena here, which is to say that he kinda sorta put his foot in his mouth. I don't care just seems like a harsh thing to say in that situation.

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I assure you none of us BigSoccer moderators are in contention for the position.

;)

8. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    seconded.

9. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    I hope you are kidding, but I guess you're not.

10. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    What are you talking about?

Seriously, do you just look to twist people's words around for the purpose of tying to find ways to prove they aren't "American" enough to wear the US MNT jersey... especially when that person is our all-time leader in assists... by age 24??? Why are you so adamant to try and negate him from the US MNT?

What is he suposed to say here?

"Yes I am gung ho about getting Piotr Nowak to be our next head coach"

What happens in that situation? He either alienates his own head coach by not suggesting him... or he alienates the future US MNT coach if it is not Piotr Nowak, since they will know Donovan is on record as saying he wanted someone else...

This is clearly the "PC" answer...

So because Donovan choses to say "the right thing" he doesn't belong in a US MNT jersey???

Should he be going on about he wants Bruce Arena back so much because he was such an awesome coach... is that what you want him to say?

Why are so many people working so hard to try and discredit the kid who leads the US all-time in assists by age 24? Why are people working so hard to discredit the kid who won the Golden Boot at the FIFA Youth World Cup? Why are people working so hard to try and discredit the kid who was voted Best young player of the FIFA World Cup 2002? Why are people working so hard to discredit someone who has won 3 MLS titles in the 5 years since he has been in MLS? Why are people working so hard to try and discredit the kid who just took on the DCU team which is clear out in front of everybody... and with an anti-Donovan crowd on hand... in which he tore DCU a new one?

Simply you just misread the wording here.

What he actually said, if you can appropriately read between the lines, is;

"I dont give a flying Fuc|< who the next coach is... I'm still gonna be ready to kick some ass... I hope they hire him damn soon, so we can start scheduling games ASAP... so that I can go out and prove the nay-sayers wrong... and am looking forward to someone with a more aggressive mindset that is not going to play one lone forward at the World Cup, so we can actually score some goals"

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    landon is guaranteed a spot because he's still our most talented player. two bad games don't make him a bad player. playing in MLS isn't a mortal sin.

I knew this would be turned against Landon ... he's in the middle of his club season and it's a decision that he, in all likelyhood, has no control over. why should he spend time worrying about it right now? at this point, why should he care? no candidates have been announced? just because we care about rumor-mongering doesn't mean he should.

12. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    I actually agree with Donovan. It's not his decision. Why ask him? If he gives an answer, it's lose-lose. So the best answer is to not answer.

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Nicely said, if speaking off the record. Otherwise, "No comment" gets the job done; "I don't care" doesn't strike precisely the right note.

14. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly I'm just trying to figure out how to make him unhappy in LA so he moves to Europe!!! GO AWAY LANDON, LEAVE MLS, WE DON'T WANT YOU HERE ANYMORE!!! That work? No? Damn... guess we'll never see him grace the classic stage.

15. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    given how well the kid has done under Yallop, maybe the question should have been, "Perhaps Yallop?"

I read the "I don't care" more of as "The hiring process is none of my business" than a "I have no compassion for the position of US coach."

16. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And why is that?

What difference does it make if it doesn't matter who the coach is to a player? His job is to earn a spot on the team. Which is what he says, basically, in his next answer. It's all going to be different. Why should he worry about who the coach is?

You people just look for ways to criticize - assuming the worst when it's not really there.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What attitude? Not undercutting Gulati by exhibiting a preference? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[Red Dawn]Kid, that hate's gonna eat you up. [/Red Dawn]

18. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon was recognized by our World Cup opponents as our best playmaker. Great defenses make good players disappear.

It's amazing how much better you look playing Panama or Trinidad than against the Czech Republic or Ghana who have defenders and defensive midfielders playing in the top European leagues!

19. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps the wrong note for whiny, critical BigSoccer posters who look for any opportunity to criticize the guy - and when there isn't an opportunity, why, they'll just make one up.

"I don't care" works just fine for me. I'm not the hypercritical sort, though.

Plus "I don't care" works especially fine for me right now, since I'm hoping all his focus is on getting Galaxy to the MLS cup final this year. Worrying about who the National Team coach is should be the furthest thing from his mind.

20. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    there is a subtle difference between "no comment" and "I don't care"...

"No comment" evokes the thought that he has something strong to say about it, but is not going to divulge his thoughts...

which usualy provokes a lot more questioning along those lines, and a pursuit by people in the media... who wish to be the guy that makes him expose himself to them...

"I don't care" says simple don't ask, I don't have an oppinion on this... it doesn't involve me...

which usualy provokes a few dissenters who say he isn't interested... but media clowns don't hound him constantly about the previous question... which prevents him from alienating a coach whose job it will be to select him to the team...

21. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this has exactly what to do with saying he doesn't care who the National Team coach is?

As an aside, funny how you failed to mention the Italy game.

22. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan has a knack for expressing his thoughts in a less than tactful way. And then the bashing commences. And then defenders come to the rescue. Nothing new here!

23. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screw tact. If the reporters want to ask silly questions, trying to pin him down, they can expect silly answers, brushing them off. "I don't care" is a perfect answer, because it says exactly what it means. Landon doesn't care who the coach is, it doesn't change his job at all. He still has to play and earn his spot.

I, personally, love his attitude and most of his interviews. He's natural. He said what he feels and that's it. No scripted answers (well maybe sometimes), no ass kissing (well, again...). It makes for good reading. There's really no question as to how Landon feels about the situation.

24. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    hello

we should defend Landon:)...

he don´t care because he has another problems now..he cares of himself now...and why he should care who is next USMNT coach...he can not solve this problem...so he is just waiting until USSF solve this problem...it is not his job to look for USMNT coach...so why he should care of this?....he should play soccer...this is his job...

25. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

like clock work.