Donovan, Howard: Everton vs. Sporting Lisbon [R] Europa League 2/16 12:45 EST

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by schrutebuck, Feb 16, 2010.

1. fusion101

fusion101 Member

Jan 11, 2002
    That's classic Landon. He plays a very high percentage game and he really limits the chances he takes.

2. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I haven't read the thread yet so I'll give my thoughts then flick back through after to comment on anything.

Well, I got to say, overall I'm very disappointed. I would rather be 1-0 than 2-1 because away goals can be that important. I didn't think we played that well at all to be honest. The only players I thought played well were Baines and Osman.

We started off sluggish and slow, which is strange as I thought they would be flying from last weeks result. The fans were restless early and the frustration with how the team were playing was starting to show (normally the fans are reasonably patient with the team but I think today was viewed as a home baker win - everyone thought we could just turn up and win comfortably after Sporting's troubles this season - along with the fact that noone could have a drink and had to come straight from a day at work...).

We finally settled into a kind of rhythm, without playing well, and without playing good football (the downside of having Neville - who had an absolute shocker of a game - Yobo and Distin in your team) but we were doing enough to be the better team. We should of had a free kick (I think it was out of the box, I sit the other end of the ground) for the foul on Saha, and by the letter of the law I think the defender would had to have been red carded? Could of been a different game...although our record versus 10 men suggests not!

We created a few chances and the keeper made some decent saves but our set piece delivery was poor on the whole AGAIN (Get LD on them, he seems to be the only one capable of putting in a consistently good ball!). Our first goal was good play, Cahill doing a Guti like (dunno if you have saw that goal...) flick back for Pienaar to steer home.

Second half and we scored pretty much straight away....then sat back and defended. Now, I'm pretty used to this as an Everton fan, but it does my head in. We never learn...it always comes back and bites us on the backside. Can be so damn frustrating supporting them sometimes, I'm tellin ya :rolleyes:. Although, we did create some great chances, I think it fell apart when Cahill went off (I'd like to think it was just precautionary - if not, he is a HUGE miss). We lost our shape and Sporting pushed forwards more. Rodwell did a poor pass and Distin a poor touch and well, it was accident waiting to happen from there. Frustrating that the ref sees that from further back than he was for the Saha foul in first half that he totally missed though.

Overall, I have come to the conclusion that when a team opposes us and sits back to hit us on the break, we invarably find it hard to get into the game and play our own way. We panic and instead of moving the ball and attempting to find gaps and flaws in the defence, we resort to the ugly horrible football that we hate to watch. It agitates the hell outta me, I'm tellin ya! Sporting had some dangerous players, particularly Ismailov (who I thought was quality - although moving to Russia soon I hear?) and Liedson who caused us a lot of trouble at the back, but their defence was very "get attable" and we didn't expose them nearly enough for my liking.

Howard, didn't have much to do but what he did, he did well. No chance with the pen. Few dodgy kicks like but nothing of concern.

Neville, well, I've defended him on here before, but today he was indefensable. I'll be short and quick. Shocking.

Distin and Yobo as a partnership scare the hell out of me together. It's like 2 accidents waiting to happen...Neither of them can concentrate for a 90. No leader between them (despite Yobo being Nigeria captain).

Baines played well. Got back and forward really well. Caused them troubles when he got forward. He should be 2nd choice LB behind Cole for England, in my view.

Pienaar had a poor game by his standards, but still caused them trouble. Won some free kicks in dangerous areas but clearly not his best game.

Osman was good, he is a cracking little player who takes a lot of unjust stick but he made some great tracking back and looked dangerous going forward.

Arteta was not upto speed, he looked so rusty. Starting the games lately seems to be taking it's toll. He's clearly not fully match fit and so he is nowhere near top form.

Cahill ran himself into the ground, he caused them a lot of trouble. As I said previously, I felt we lost shape when he went off and they started to push more. Hopefully his calf isn't too bad and he is fit for Saturday.

Saha was in and out, he did some very good things but then some bad things. Should of had at least one goal I think. Poor header at the end of the first half.

Donovan was ok, much like Saha he did some good and some bad. When he gets the ball and runs at them, he scares the hell out of them, they could only foul him everytime. He gave the ball away cheaply sometimes but he was a threat.

Overall, bit unhappy with letting a comfortable 2-0 scoreline (which probably should have been more) slip and giving them what could prove a crucial away goal, as well as losing Distin now. We have a lot of work to do as they are a good team, but I do believe we can go there and score.

In other news, Fellaini out for such a long time is a sickening blow. I'm gutted for the lad, hopefully he comes back as soon as possible and we can make the best out of what has been another horrendous season for injuries...we must have the worst luck :(

Onto United on Saturday, can't say I'm looking forward to it though...

3. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I won't neg rep her. She's right. He needs to hit the training field again. And learn how to take his free kicks again. He was bangin assists and goals before his injurie from set pieces.

4. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    It was dead tonight. So many kids and non usual match goers. I blame the kick off time.

5. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the report, Arteta's Girl.

Landon had a better 2nd half than he did first half and he wasn't awful, but this was his worst game since he's been there. It was bound to happen sooner or later.

He did an awful lot of running - I think in an attempt to get himself kick-started and get in the game - and at one point he literally ran end to end, and the crowd acknowledged it, which was nice. When he ran at people, he did well. Needs to keep doing that.

Too bad they gave up the goal in the end. That away goal is going to hurt. And even though Everton won, it feels like a loss almost.

I hope Cahill isn't hurt. He seemed to tweak his knee or something, it appeared to me. Hopefully it's nothing.

From reading through the thread - I think I'll skip Ives' site on this one.

6. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    He was unlucky with this, I thought I'd seen him score a goal for LA from a similar angle on the other side but the keeper did enough to put him off, I think:

[​IMG]

7. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a lot of teams play this way, including my Galaxy and the US men, and it is sooooo difficult as a fan to sit through that. You just know the other team is going to score. When they do, all you can say is "I told you so" and when they don't you can breathe a sigh of relief, but not get much satisfaction from the viewing experience. Aargh.

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't be true. I've been told that every park in England is full of hard core supporters for every game with long and complex songs and chants and never anyone under the age of 16 or over 50

9. natsalways

natsalways Member

Apr 30, 2006
    Missouri
    Guys and gals, let's not expect Landon to be Superman every game. He is a great player, but even great players have nights in which they look mediocre. The sign of a superb player is one who can effect the flow of a game on an off night...and I think tonight showed that even on a not so perfect night, Donovan can play.

10. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dagnabit, they advertised 461...I got hours of nothing recorded

flapjacks!!@#@#^&%&@#

11. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you really think the number of American fans running to an unfamiliar English website in the middle of a workday for a game most people couldn't watch compares to the number of Everton fans there?

12. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Everton fans and USMNT fans really have a lot in common, no wonder it feels so much like home supporting your team....

13. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha, I wasn't worried about you in particular. I got neg-repped before for pointing out how bad Baines, Bily, and Arteta's service was.

Any sign that Donovan will become the set-piece taker while he's there? Baines has had some free kicks and Pienaar scored on one, but other than that, set-piece delivery has been pretty dreadful for the most part apart from Donovan.

14. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't think there are that many American fans, let alone internet nuts like ourselves

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Landon was OK. Not good, not bad. Better in the 2nd half. But as Tony notes, he was kind of...passive.

I'll say this...Landon should be taking the corners and wide free kicks, not Arteta.

16. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you're wrong. Don't wanna sound like a dick, but there are, TONS.

17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In weight, yes. Numbers, no.

18. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did this end up as a discussion of the weight of a dick?
    :eek:

I'm truly sorry... I've a had a stressful day at work. :)

19. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I think most American fans are internet nuts, almost by necessity. Probably a much higher percentage than over in jolly ol'.

20. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Any news on Cahill ?

21. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No there isn't. Jesus, how many USA fans even show up for USA matches! That's right none. It's often the away side filling the stadium as we all know.

I hope you were joking, otherwise your dilusional in regards to us soccer's popularity.

Luftmen, brings up an interesting point that perhaps it's just because the relatively small number of US soccer support, pretty much all has a thorough internet connection. It might make a touch of a difference in these type of things... but even that I doubt!

22. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've found the actual soccer fan to be pretty small size wise. So in numbers, no and in weight... also no. Maybe 1 ton collectively.

23. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    He has a calf strain and is doubtful. Type of guy he is though, I'd say it was more likely he would play than not though...

24. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then why are we hearing about such large volumes taking over Everton boards? US match attendance doesn't mean $**t because the country is so damn big.

25. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No you're not a dick unless you tell me how stupid I am. I just think think the relative numbers are probably not so high. No doubt many more now than 10 years ago.

Be easy to see if they show the number of votes, just compare pre-LD to post LD vote totals. But an average of multiple games, not one low pre-LD number compared to one high post LD number like a lawyer (or politician) would do.