Donovan & Howard: Everton vs. Birmingham, 3/13 10am EST

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by ctoa23, Mar 12, 2010.

1. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game's being shown live on FSC in the US.

Both Timmy and Landon are probable starters in what is looking like LD's final game in the EPL before returning to LA.

2. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan on the subs bench.

Cahill's back. COYB!

Everton XI: Howard, Neville, Jagielka, Distin, Baines, Heitinga, Anichebe, Arteta, Pienaar, Cahill, Yakubu. Subs: Nash, Yobo, Rodwell, Gosling, Donovan, Hibbert, Bilyaletdinov

3. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    I suppose it makes sense, if nothing more than from a psychological standpoint. Moyes is readying his team, and apparently Anichebe, for Landon's departure. Sort of a "I have faith in you to do the job when he's gone."

4. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    To me that would seem a very strange approach to take. They need to win this match and need to field the line-up that makes that the most likely.

5. PHX Soccer

PHX Soccer Member

Feb 8, 2007
    AZ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon off the bench...F that. Makes it really hard to sympathize with the "He needs to stay at Everton" mindset. We will see you in a few weeks LD. Get a real transfer in the summer if you need to. And those Everton kits are maybe the worst ever in the history of the game, home or away.

6. Bees Knees

Bees Knees Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Aruba
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet strike by Pienaar there - a litte wider and the keeper wouldn't have gotten there.

7. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    goal anichebe

rocket from inside the box....

8. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Birmingham is above Everton in the standings? Everton is dominating them in their house so far. They don't need Donovan right now, and they need to get used to playing without him.

9. Bees Knees

Bees Knees Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Aruba
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really nice goal by Anichebe there, and just as I was thinking about how much he sucks. Shook his defender, moved left, and rifled a left-footed shot into the far corner. Donovan might be spending a long time on the bench today...

10. nfwyrfmfoafbaw

nfwyrfmfoafbaw New Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Yeah, I would think that Moyes would field the team that has the best chance of winning, and apparently Landon doesn't figure into that team. He actually hasn't been able to get into the starting lineup three games in a row (albeit, while he was getting over a flu). Maybe it's for the best that Landon's coming home if he's not really starter material at Everton when everyone's healthy (and remember, Fellaini is a lock as a starter and isn't available right now).

11. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, I was literally about to post about it.

Also, what did Bily do to piss off Moyes???

Oh, and there's #2, feeding the Yak.

12. Bees Knees

Bees Knees Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Aruba
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Everton is just SMOKING B'ham right now.

13. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way to overreact people.

14. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    :rolleyes: He's done great there, but Moyes has to prepare for not having him though. Landon would be the starting RW if he were a permanent Everton player.

15. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Oh really?

[​IMG]

16. Bees Knees

Bees Knees Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Aruba
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least when/if Dono gets in the game it will be wide open like the Hull game. It'll be a nice last game if we get to see him running at some stretched and tired defense.

17. Bees Knees

Bees Knees Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Aruba
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell?

18. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    No offense, but this is just idiotic. He is "starter material," and I suspect he might be starting today if he was on a permanent. That said, he didn't have his best game against Birmingham the first time around. They are a rough and tumble team, and it makes some amount of sense for Moyes to start Anichebe on that fact alone. And, given the start of the game, it's hard to argue Moyes didn't field the team who "has the best chance of winning."

19. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Moyes needs to think about the rest of the season, not just this game. I'm surprised anybody would think Donovan's not Everton "starter material" at this point.

20. Bees Knees

Bees Knees Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Aruba
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jerome claimed that one like he had something to do with it. B'ham just clawed a goal back.

Bring on Donovan for his defense on the wing? Pretty please?

21. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal out of nowhere for Brummy.

Nothing Howard could do about that, he has to assume someone is redirecting that towards goal (where he's at) that going through was an absolute freak accident. The pus side is that more likely hood of DOnny cming on!

22. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I guess my question, if I'm Landon, would be -- why do they make all this noise like they want me to stay and extend my loan and now I'm not even a starter? So....why would I extend my loan? (Besides the fact that MLS players voted to go on strike?)

23. PHX Soccer

PHX Soccer Member

Feb 8, 2007
    AZ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need one of those!

24. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you seriously making the case here that Moyes hasn't done right by Landon during his loan spell?

25. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    So what happens if they started Donovan the last 3 games and then he leaves? Well then Everton has to toss an unprepared player like Anichebe into the starting lineup.

Since they have to assume Donovan is leaving, they need to make the transition. So Anichebe has been a starter in the last 3 games.

I thought this would be obvious to everyone, but it sure isn't.