Donovan & Hejduk

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by beineke, Aug 2, 2002.

1. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I was thinking the same thing, although I'm sure that it would get more complicated somewhere along the line.

Bayer could use some more creative players, so I'm surprised they haven't been more adamant in getting Landon back, or at least someone.

2. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In some interviews with Landon, he has said he knows he can play at that level, but the problem is what happened in his previous stint their with the coaches. Apparently he has bitter feelings about them as he feels he wasn't treated honestly and he doesn't want to go back there just to be stuck on the bench if the coach doesn't like him.

3. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Well as far as I know, Landon's deal with Bayer runs through 2004, so if they loan him out through that time, they get nothing in return. IF they do consider the loan, I am sure Landon will have to sign an extension with Bayer if Bayer thinks that is beneficial to the club.

4. The Toe

The Toe Member

Mar 30, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think LD has knocked up some little chica???

5. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankie, get the hell outta there! Please. Landon hope your talking with Frankie quite a bit.

6. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Landon's contract runs out with BL in 2007

7. The Toe

The Toe Member

Mar 30, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LD and Brittney?? I thought Brittney is having an affair with Jenna Jameson??

Oh man!! No wonder LD does not want to leave!!!!

8. Elliott

Elliott Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I'm surprised that Landon has been so reluctant to return to Germany. First, I think the world cup buzz will have completely died out by the end of the MLS season. Second, the situation at Bayer couldn't be better. Bayer failed to win anything last season and isn't expected to this year. If Landon comes in and leads them to a title, any title, he'll be hailed as a hero. If he could lead Bayer to the champions league championship, he'll be a world star the likes of Ronaldo and Beckham. Not saying its likely he could do so much with Bayer, but the ball is round and it would be worth the chance of becoming a international phenom.

9. Syncope

Syncope New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Translation:
    But now comes Bayer-Manager Reiner Calmund looking to harvest what he has sown. "Why," asks Donovan, "should someone else profit from what San Jose has done for me?" This is how it is: His life in California is optimal, Leverkusen, in comparison can only be a let-down. What about the challenge? "Blah blah blah," he says. "I don't have to score against Dortmund to prove that I can keep up."

1) Why should LD be the only beneficiary of Leverkusen sending him back home so that he can mature as a player and person?
    2) Actually, yes, he would have to score against Dortmund to prove that he can keep up.

LD does not miss a single opportunity to reinforce what I already think of him.

10. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    More Donovan

A short excerpt from MLS Confidential:

"The initial phase of the loan expires at the end of the current MLS season, after which the league must pay up to buy his rights or relinquish control unless a new arrangement can be worked out.

'They [Bayer] have my rights until 2005,' says Donovan. "But there are ways to get out of it.' "

jgw

11. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Interesting quote from Landon. All signs have pointed in the past to him being under lock and key until '07.

Maybe he misspoke. Maybe we've all had it wrong.

12. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    i totally agree with you. something tells me he's scared of not performing over there. or the fact that in going back to Germany he won't be a standout in reality he'll slide in and have to bust his ass to make the plays he doesn't have to really work hard for here.

i agree it he should be able to enjoy what he does. but we also have obligations. him running away from his worries me about his ethics.

someone should play that song "you can't always get what you want. for landon.

feel free to pick through my generalizations. it's how i learn
    -brandon

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    from syncope:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LD does not miss a single opportunity to reinforce what I already think of him.

from irishfs1921:
    i totally agree with you. something tells me he's scared of not performing over there. or the fact that in going back to Germany he won't be a standout in reality he'll slide in and have to bust his ass to make the plays he doesn't have to really work hard for here.

i disagree. landon simply understands his unique position as the leading poster boy for an up and coming soccer nation. he needs to be here now, and of course he's enjoying it. he'll leave for europe in a year or two.

but remember these 2 things:
    1. landon has said that he does not mind going over to europe.

and
    2.its just that he does not want to go to GERMANY (or b.l. in particular). something happened to him there that we do not have all the details of . he wants to go to ENGLAND to play. he's willing to work hard and compete. just not in germany.

14. ripmstr

ripmstr New Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Orlando Fl
    Scared is not a word I would use in describing Landon. I don't even think that word is in his vocabulary. Not want to bust his ass???? He didn't have to work very hard in the WC to get the goals and make the plays he did, he coasted.

Listen to Buff - Think before you post!

15. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like, with the departures of Ze` Roberto and Ballack, that some significant playing time would be available to LD in the middle and up top.

He obviously has the skill to break down Germany's best defenders (showed that in WC), but I think he likes his status as a soccer star here, and is worried about being relegated to face in the crowd on a team over there.

Personally, I am scared about what happens to him over there. I think he is a great player, and he looked great in the WC, but what if he can't hack it over along pro season in Europe?? That would really damage our credibility, much worse than JMM riding the pine at Everton.

16. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    1. i'm reffering to the bundesliga. you're telling me he's not going to have to step it up a notch everygame to preform at the level klaus will expect from him? scoring on DC sure as hell is a lot different than scoring on Bayern.

2. that's why i reffered to them as GENERALIZATIONS.

most of my comments came from what i saw of him. i.e. his attitude, thoughts, etc. (from ESPN's the life)

landon is a true talent and by staying over here he is furthering US soccer. but by going over to Europe i feel he can do much more for US soccer by showing that WE can produce talent.

so many players are itiching at his chance and i think he's not truly thinking of the outcomes. he enjoys his life here in the US. the attention and everything else he gets. my SCARED reference was the sense that he was more in fear of loosing that comfort when he went to Germany.

again. i made generalizations. i didn't ask for attacks.

luvdagame i appreciate your response.
    as i do yours ripmstr minus the sarcasm.

17. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    So you think our players being good is an illusion that we should try to keep fooling the world with, by keeping them in MLS.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

But let Landon try to get BL to let him play in SJ if he wants. Bayer made a good investment in him, and are just looking for the best way for it to pay off, since it doesn't seem like it will pay off in Bundesliega goals set up by Neuville.

18. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems pretty clear that Landon is more interested in proving to himself that he can play than proving to you folk that he can play. And he is pretty comfortable right now that he has nothing he needs to prove to himself that requires going to Europe.

He is politic'ing to avoid leaving the US. That is quite different from in fact not honoring your contract.

19. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Having grown up a Red Sox fan, I have a predisposition for jinxes, and I'm getting a feeling there is some sort of Nats/DBL jinx thing going on.

Landon not being real interested in going back to Germany makes some sense, as player after player goes over there and has.... at best.... a mediocre experience. It must get real frustrating being in that group of players that have a reasonable hope of going overseas, seeing your peers go to Germany and come back telling stories of misery and despair.

However, memo to Landon: You signed a contract. This limits the number and nature of demands you can go around making.

If he thinks he can lollygag around MLS until 2006 and then have some sortof orgasmotournament that leads to the serious scratch, that's fine. It just sounds like a long-shot to me.

20. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand what you are saying. And I know this is a different era from even 2 years ago when we seemed to be on a downswing in talent. I think LD could do remarkably well in Europe, but I almost feel like the bar is set higher than average for Americans because we have not historically fielded great field players.

I would love to see LD go over and score 15-20 goals for BL, but I feel like if he doesn't, it will hurt the transfer credibility of future Nats and MLS'ers.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why does it *have* to be about soccer?

Jay Hipps wrote an excellent piece for cybersoccernews. In it, he focuses on non-soccer issues.

I'll say this...Jay's interpretation makes more sense than this "he's afraid of Leverkusen and the BL."

It fits the known facts better.

22. saroccer

saroccer New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Atl/Kabul
    Re: why does it *have* to be about soccer?

I agree, I feel that Jay's interpretation is on target. Besides, he's 20 - he's got time. Mental development/happiness is alot more important than people realize...

23. Eisern Union

Eisern Union New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Berlin
    I forgot to include this quote in my original synopsis, and I'd say it makes Landon look pretty childish. 'should someone else profit from what San Jose has done for me?' What about what Leverkusen has done for you, Landon? Who gave you a pay check as a 16 year old? Who found a way for you to go to San Jose in the first place? Should Leverkusen profit from what San Jose has done for you, Landon? Damn right they should. If Landon doesn't want to go back to Germany for whatever reason, that's his perogative, and he's free to it, but this immature arrogance is a bit hard to take.

As for the 'riding the wave of being the poster boy of an emerging soccer power' all I have to say is this: how many butts were in the seats for the last San Jose home game?

24. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me say a couple of points.

First, when something is reported in the newspaper all it means is that something is reported in the newspaper. We don't if it is true, and we don't know if player quotes have actually been said. So we must be careful about acting too strongly about a newspaper article. I have seen many lies and false quotes in newspapers before, as I'm sure many of you have as well.

Second, I don't think Leverkusen did too much for Landon from a football point of view. In fact, it may have set him back. However, they certainly paid his bills and he must honor his contract or buy it out or work with BL to find a new club. The is a professional relationship.

If lies or false promises were told to Landon by BL staff, this is nothing new in business. One must distance oneself from these types of people as quickly as possible. I don't know if this is the case here or not.

25. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    I agree a lot to Eisern Union. There are several credits Donovan owes to Bayer.

Of course he only played for the reserves, but does anyone honestly think that he didn't learn anything in these two years before returning to MLS? Becoming MVP of MLS immediately after his return on the level he was with 16? That's hardly possible.

Then Bayer let him go on loan without getting a real compensation, or does anyone think MLS paid a decent loan sum? I can even imagine that Bayer is still paying a part of his salary, but of course I don't know that.

Until now Donovan didn't repay any cent of Bayer's investments. If Leverkusen now is again willing to loan him (and that's the only chance for him to not return to Leverkusen in November), then he can kiss Calli's fat ass and should stop talking this negative crap about them. I would loan him with a clause that the loan deal immediately ends as soon as one further negative word on Leverkusen leaves Donvoan's mouth - this would maybe help him use his brain, something he still seems to have some problems with.

Aris, the contract is definitely until 2007. It just might be an option that he can leave for something like 5 or 10M in 2005.