Donovan & Hejduk

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by beineke, Aug 2, 2002.

1. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Saw this on the Quakes board:
    http://www.bayer04.de/en/1407.htm

According to Bayer's site, LD returns to Leverkusen on November 1st. Also, Hejduk is available "if someone tables a good offer."

2. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    That's from July 14th. Old news, really.

Hejduk doesn't have any buyers.

Donovan still is putting up the "staying here" sign, but things could get going officially since MLS, Bayer and Motkzin meet up this weekend.

3. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this transfer market, one has to wonder if anyone is going anywhere. Would love to see Frankie get some pt but that looks like a pipe dream at the moment.

4. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    Earlier this year Bayer had stated that Hejduk, along with a few other players were avalible for free transfer, I doubt anything has changed....the "tables a good offer" thing is interesting. Bottom line is Bayer wants out of Hejduk's contract and I don't think at this stage in his career Hejduk would move for a significantly lower salary even if it came with playing time.

5. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    I agree, Frankie wants to make his money now, so he won't take a big paycut to go somewhere else. I think he should stick it out another year at Bayer and then look for a transfer. He will have made enough in Germany to hold him off for many years to come.

6. Eisern Union

Eisern Union New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Berlin
    Interesting article in the Berliner Zeitung on Thursday (they run a story on LD about once a week). More or less said that he hates Germany, not just Leverkusen (he was quoted as saying 'Germany isn't the friendliest place in the world').

Goose was also quoted saying that the agent he found him a deal in Germany was 'no longer his friend' and that he didn't like 'fighting every day for a spot on the team'.

Sannah relayed a story about a friend of his who came to Hertha practice in the middle of winter on a frozen pitch and therefore eased up on his tackles (not wanting to hurt someone when he's only a geust). The Hertha coach asked Sannah later if 'his friend is a sissy.'

Lalas also quoted (and named America's first soccer star) saying that Europe was good for him, but it isn't right for a lot of Americans.

The gist of the story was that German soccer is hard work, and a lot of Americans who have come to Germany have not liked having to work that hard (Agoos held up as exhibit number one). It was not explicitely stated, but the connotation is clearly that LD doesn't have to work ethic for German soccer and that his 'quality of life' and 'team environment' arguments are a reflection of this.

I don't really agree with the story. There may be an element of working very hard combined with not getting anywhere that is weighing on LD. It was an interesting analysis nonetheless.

7. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a link?

8. Eisern Union

Eisern Union New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Berlin
    Well, the paper's sitting on my kitchen counter. I can look for a link, but no promises.

9. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
  10. Lab Mouse

Lab Mouse New Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Kalamazoo, MI, USA
    "Wenn sie mich wollen, muessen sie mich schon holen." (If they want me, they are going to have to come and get me. [loose translation])

That's a telltale quote.

Very interesting article--gave me a chance to exercise my newspaper German, which doesn't happen often these days.

It's not like there will be a deal announced much before the end of the MLS season, either. I'm not exactly waiting with baited breath here. He's got a season to finish and he's eager to see it through.

11. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Today on www.bundesliga.de:

LEVERKUSEN IS FIGHTING FOR DONOVAN

The return of US national player Landon Donovan to Bayer Leverkusen remains uncertain.
    Donovan, who scored one goal at the WC, is on loan to US champion San Jose Earthquakes since one year. In negotiations Bayer GM Reiner Calmund could not come to terms with Donvoan agent Richard Motzkin.
    "There are serious tries to find a solution, but it's a process that still requires some time", said Motzkin. The 20 year old doesn't want to return to Germany where he didn't have a game in the pro team yet. The offence player, who also got offers by other European clubs, prefers to stay in the USA. "It's a good time for soccer players in the US. You can help that this sports grows and this is an important factor for me", says Donovan.

12. Rowdie

Rowdie New Member

Jan 27, 2000
    He's 20, and he refuses to leave so adamantly. My take is that he's got a girlfriend that he doesnt want to leave behind.

That's the way it seems to me anyway.

13. Lab Mouse

Lab Mouse New Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Kalamazoo, MI, USA
    I thought they were negotiating with Ilja Kaezig (sp?) since Calmund has been moved out of that original position he was in. That's according to ESPN Soccernet anyhow.

14. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    I think Britney has enough money to buy her own house in Germany so they won't be apart.

15. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony should be very happy he's not at Hertha.
    The coach is a genius. ;)

16. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Hertha got a different coach meanwhile, but Tony should be happy nonetheless as he wouldn't see playing time in Berlin.

Regarding Donovan kicker today just mentions that the negotiations were stopped without any result.

17. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Another Donovan/Bayer article on www.transfermarkt.de. Excerpt:

Donovan agent Richard Motzkin is negotiating with Bayer's GMs Ilja Kaenzig and Reiner Calmund. Kaenzig: "We want the best solution for everyone. We can't exclude that Donovan stays in the USA a bit longer. The player still shall develop. Everything is possible".

18. Eisern Union

Eisern Union New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Berlin
    Interesting, looks like the first indication thus far of anyone giving any ground. Complete speculation: with other MLS players begging to get to Europe and Donovan begging to stay, wouldn't some sort of swap deal make a whole lot of sense?

Dandal: Union did make the DFB Cup final two years ago, losing to Schalke. They look poised for a mid table finish in the second division this year. Decent team, but a nobody who can score.

19. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    If he went to Leverkeusen now it's hard to imagine him playing very much.

20. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    Officially, he scored two. Realistically, he scored three (Poland.) Optimistically, he scored four (off the Portuguese defender's head.)

21. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Wishfully he'd have scored 5... (one past Kahn)

22. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone catch the rob stone commentary during the all-star game about landon's meeting saturday night with the BL GM, his agent, and ivan gadzidis?

he started to say something, was cut off by some play commentary, and they never came back to the story (as far as i could tell...).

23. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Yup I heard those commentaries by Stone. Realisticly Leverkusen will not demand he return unless they forsee him playing a bit for them. I think the MLS will do everything it can to keep Landon, including paying the Bundesliga money.

Maybe the MLS will trade Mathis' rights to Germany for Landon's rights.

24. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Could be! *grin*

Or maybe he's not convinced that he has a good chance of getting regular playing time for them. Although I have to wonder why someone as talented as Landon wouldn't think he stands a good chance.

25. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    That doesn't make sense. Bayer isn't interested in Mathis or other MLS players and they surely won't do a benefit for Bayern Munich. Realistically they are planning a further loan to MLS and the problem is the date for his return - with the new transfer rule Landon would be without team and playing time for three months if he stays until the end of a MLS season and returns to Bayer in January; so I rather see Bayer willing to loan him to July 1st (probably 2003, maybe even 2004), which wouldn't please MLS to see him leave inmidst of their season. At least this could explain the failed negotiations so far.