Donovan: FC Bayern vs. Al Jazeera, 8 AM EST (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by worldfootballgenius, Jan 9, 2009.

1. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't, please!!

2. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll get them up ASAP... keep getting this 'upload failed message' .... stay tuned.. they'll get there...

3. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gooch is everywhere. He's the Chuck Norris of the USMNT

Seconded. It's refreshing to be able to go into a thread and expect to actually read about the thread topic, rather than wading through 9 different side-topics.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rep for highlights, btw. I didn't have it in me to wake up for this one, up late last night getting ready for the residents to move back in today.

4. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no question that DOnovan's heart and head were not in the last stint in Germany. But except for the Champions League game, he actually played well. (Kicker consistently projected him into the starting line up.) His mentality was wrong last time, but there are a lot of misconceptions about how he played in Germany.

Nonetheless, he has a different mentatility this time. He is going to be very successful.

5. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And apropos of nothing....I have been a Donovan fan since he's was a Youth Nat. I deeply look forward to his coming success in Germany followed the chance to tell his naysayers that the time has come to consume excrement and expire

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And based on this opening effort -- OK, I know it's just a friendly, in Dubai, to keep things in perspective -- I'd say Landon's well on his way towards staying in Germany with Bayern Munich. He played the full 90, teamed up quite well with the team's other two leading strikers, assisted on one goal, could have had another assist, and took some of his own chances.

I would think that Juergen Klinsmann would be very impressed. And at worst, LD's got his foot in the door.

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know if there's over 150 posts for a damn friendly against Al Jazeera. I can only imagine the number when he actually does play a league match. Or better yet a CL match where everyone and their cousin will have TV access! Yikes! I bet it will be near 1,000 posts. :D

8. ejo1956

ejo1956 Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    how you can say 2 completely opposite things within the same sentence is beyond me! :eek:

Today means nothing in isolation. The next game means nothing in isolation. It will be the totality of the performance over a LOT of games. It is totally jumping the gun to think today means anything (yet). He still has some real serious tests to pass.

10. apocow

apocow Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Goal Highlights:

Donavan's assist on Schweinsteiger Goal

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9mFzNZa_o0"]YouTube - AL-JAZIRA UAE . Vs . 1 . FC Bayern Munich[/ame]

Other goals

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ye73B65hro"]YouTube - AL-JAZIRA UAE . 1 . Vs . FC Bayern Munich[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp26DzKK_4s"]YouTube - AL-JAZIRA UAE . 2 . Vs . FC Bayern Munich[/ame]

(FK after Donavan is fouled)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPLgq8c1THo"]YouTube - AL-JAZIRA UAE . Vs . 2 . FC Bayern Munich[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS6HKxKHrSI"]YouTube - AL-JAZIRA UAE . Vs . 3 . FC Bayern Munich[/ame]

11. Yougottawanna

Yougottawanna Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who gave the ball away for the first AJ goal? That was awful. Gorgeous strike though.

Donovan's assist to Schweinsteiger was kind of a no-brainer, but I thought he showed composure by letting the ball go across his body and making the pass with a single touch. If he'd waited the chance might've dried up.

12. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was Lell. That was shocking.

13. obewan

obewan New Member

Jul 24, 2005
    NC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hasn't Oddo been the regular starter at Lell's RB spot? Of the two new additions to the starting line-up, Donovan acquitted himself much better. It was smart of Klinsmann to play Landon with both of the regular strikers. I wouldnt' be surprised to see Donovan start again in the next friendly, but with Klose this time.

14. mattygp

mattygp New Member

May 6, 2006
  15. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Michael Bradley. Gladbach and the entire Eredivisie are clearly in on the conspiracy!

So what's the over/under on posts before someone actually blames Donovan for Jazira's 2nd goal? :rolleyes:

16. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Bild, Donovan's take on his play:
    http://www.bild.de/BILD/sport/fussb...yern-al-jazira/donovan-schoss-halbes-tor.html

Donovan afterwards: "It wasn't perfect on my part. I was still somewhat imprecise in front of the goal. It was difficult, but was fun. Al Jazeera is not Hamburg or Stuttgart, though. I can play in the Bundesliga, I just need a chance."

Donovan hinterher:
    „Es war nicht perfekt von mir. Ich war noch etwas zu ungenau vor dem Tor. Es war schwer, hat aber doch Spaß gemacht. Al Jazeera ist aber nicht der HSV oder Stuttgart. Ich kann in der Bundesliga spielen. Ich brauche aber eine Chance!“

17. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like his attitude, humble yet determined. This mid-season camp is just what he needs so he can round himself into form and shape.

18. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does donovan speak german or are they translating his english to german and we're translating back to english?

If not then i'm empressed with his german.

19. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is the same Bild reporter who is with the team in training camp. In a video from a couple of days ago, Donovan was speaking German with him so I suspect this was also in German.

20. obewan

obewan New Member

Jul 24, 2005
    NC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't Donovan in Bayer's youth/reserve system for almost two years prior to coming to MLS and the Earthquakes? I'd imagine he picked up a fair amount of German during his first stint in Leverkusen. Maybe he should look at playing in Italy. :rolleyes:

21. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the highlights, I'm impressed with some of the passing that Bayern is doing around the goal. That type of game is perfect for Donovan. I also couldn't help thinking that it looks like he joined FC Dallas. That's just wrong.

22. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    actaully, it's probably my place to retract that as I forget how easily threads can be derailled with the smallest throway comment.

For those who dont watch BM often, Toni gives everyone that look when he doesnt get his cross or pass. I wouldnt read much into it. That being said he will likely see fewer minutes going forward if they choose to use Donovan as a striker because some games will demand a speed option at that position over either himself of Klose.

23. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think that was the main reason why they signed Olic.

24. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still impressed with the quickness of that pass which led to the first goal. A perfect point-man pass, really.

Not surprised he has it in him, but just overall impressed with the pass, and his efforts on the day.

25. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, my 6-year-old saw me watching the highlights and said, "That's not Germany, that's MLS!"