Donovan decides, will go to Germany. It's official [Champions League R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by CyphaPSU, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really need to stop holding your emotions back. It's unhealthy.

2. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I wouldn't have thought I'd ever be using Jaime Trecker as an example of fair soccer reporting - but here it is, from todays SeattlePI: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/othersports/201617_trecker30.html

Relevant part - (although there's also a brief Da Beas mention earlier)

MLS: This week MLS was forced to say goodbye to one of its brightest stars, Landon Donovan.

Donovan, 22, will return in January to the team that owns his rights, Germany's Bayer Leverkusen.

Donovan signed with Leverkusen as a 16-year old, but was desperately unhappy there and asked the club to loan him back to the United States. He went on to become one of MLS' most dominant players with the San Jose Earthquakes as well as current national team captain.

This past summer, after watching Donovan become arguably the most dominant American player, Leverkusen moved to reclaim its property.

For Donovan, the move is bittersweet: He leaves behind his family and girlfriend as well as a league he enjoys being a part of.

But Donovan knows he has an obligation to Leverkusen.

"Leverkusen was the first team to sign me and they have done everything to satisfy my wishes," he said. "They have always been loyal and fair to me -- it is fair to at least go back and live up to the contract I signed. It's not me having to go to Germany, but me wanting to go back to Germany and I'm excited to be going."

Certainly, Leverkusen could use some help. It sits 10th in the Bundesliga with 22 points from 15 games, 10 points behind leaders Bayern Munich.

:) Nicely done, Jaime! Excuse me while I take back a few of the insults I've thrown at you when you've belittled MLS and U.S. Soccer in the past.

3. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
  4. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In another bit of news, aparently Liverpool are interested in Berbatov, Leverkusen's Bulgarian striker. Not sure what implications that might have for Donovan, but he is the one player Donovan mentioned he was looking forward to playing with.
    http://www.lfconline.com/

5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    And who wouldn't be! If you're a center-mid/withdrawn forward, teaming with a Berbatov is a dream come true. I was hoping Dono would get to play with him (still am).

I guess the only way it would affect Dono is it would slightly harm his versatility, since he's less able to play w/drawn forward if the guy he's pairing with isn't a 'goal slut.'

6. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I believe 'Pool fans are wanting Morientes but they'd get a good one in Berbatov.

7. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This off the Bayer04 German website (their English site doesn't always have the same stuff the German version has). Apparently Holzhaeuser is having a hip replacement and they interviewed him in the hospital. Question as pertains to Landon (run through Babelfish):

"BayArena magazine: In Landon Donovan, old players in January to the cadre will push more again. What do you promise yourselves from it?
    Timber buildings: Landon is a hochtalentierter player, who knows that he must change now to Europe, if he wants to develop himself further fussballerisch. He is a torgefaehrlicher man, who can play within the offensive range everything. I am convinced of the fact that he will help us. "

Anyone know what hochtalentierter and torgefaehrlicher means?

8. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm guessing he's saying he has a lot of talent and a goal scorer.

9. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    without my Worterbuch, I'd translate as: highly talented and a goal dangerous guy.

10. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Or "goal threatening", as my sources tell me.