Donovan decides, will go to Germany. It's official [Champions League R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by CyphaPSU, Nov 23, 2004.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: Donovan decides, will go to Germany. It's official

[result]yeah, but i got cocky. it's tied up now and real is looking pretty scary. never think you're out of the woods against this real team. they may leak goals, but man they can score them fast. zidane to figo to raul. not bad.[/result]

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

Good one. And Real Genius, Top Gun, Heat, The Doors and True Romance were hardly stinkers.

3. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca

[result]Its OK, since Real came back after Beckham went off the pitch (check out the ticker... :D

In Beckham minutes, its 4-0 Leverkusen (or 5-0 if you count the away goal rule :p[/result]

4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Big thumbs up to the moderator who fixed my post, stopped it from being a spoiler.

5. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Me too sorry... :eek:

6. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    So LD will play in the Champions League, that's pretty damn cool.

7. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly

Amen. Besides, the guy is young and is leaving his country, family, woman, and culture behind for a foreign pressure cooker type atmosphere. I can't say that I would not be a little nervous as well.

8. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Actually maybe not. Leverkusen could easily come in 3rd in group (comes down to last match against Kiev, and Madrid vs. Roma). However, Leverkusen would get thrown into UEFA Cup for the New Year.

Based on their current league form, Landon will have to improve them several games just to get them to UEFA for next season (assuming they don't win UEFA or the German Cup*)

* If they are still in it...I don't know

9. kicker1

kicker1 Member

Jan 31, 2004
    St. Louis
    Landon has the speed/quickness/skills and will be a success at Leverkusen. When he was German Nat. team coach, after a Brazil game, Bertie Vogts said:
    "we are a bunch of refrigerators playing against violins".... Landon could be the "first" violin in the Bayer L team. Wish him all the best....and then come back to the US Nat's in even better shape/more experienced for the 2006/10 WC's.....

10. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Just a note, if you misssed the teleconference, the archived MLS audio feed begins at 00:35:21 and not at the start. I don't know why the 'tards didn't edit it before linking it, but that's our MLS.

EDIT:

It's been corrected now.

11. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence

. . . and when he scores his first Champions League goal, there will be a 7 page thread on how is first touch really wasn't that great.

12. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    You're right. For some reason I thought this was the final group game.

13. bardsoccer

bardsoccer Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Venice
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Only to counter-balance those who page after page pronounce him the second coming of christ, for example Robben. People are entirely too polar, quick to dis and quick to praise. That being said I am a huge Donovan fan and I think he will do well in Germany... if his attitude isn't a problem. No matter what he is feeling to say those things in public is simply unprofessional.

14. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002

Once again, not to ruin the party witth facts, but it was Bayer who told him it's not a prison there. It was a figure of speech, but hey carry on.... and for those of you who constantly rehash the first Germany go around, well, you're the ones carrying the girl over the river. Donovan let go of her a long time ago.

15. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand this. Leverkusen signed LD when he was 16, now he's 24 and still under contract? Did he sign a lifetime contract at 16 or has he signed a new deal? If he is still under his original deal did he ever have a lawyer look at this deal and try to get him out? If anyone knows details of Landons contract status please reply.

16. jonny

jonny New Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Mexico
    Will donovon bring his blanky with him!

17. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I have canvassed this thread and my perception of the YA board is one that says "let them go to Europe if they want to, tell them to quit whining if they don't."

Classy.

18. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Pretty much. And pretty much the way it should be.

19. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: It's Official: Our Newest YA is LD

You're such a dick. ;)

20. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Re: It's Official: Our Newest YA is LD

When can he start playing for them? Does he have to wait for the window to open or since it is a loan he can start ASAP?

21. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that years have been added to the back end of the contract to offset the loan to MLS.

22. house

house Member

Dec 27, 1998
    Inver Grove Heights, Minn.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What's the reaction there to the move?

BTW, missed you at the QBA draft.......La Velle

23. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles

It's possible that a player like Landon - one that lives to play - might consider the bench a sort of prison, and fears, due to his previous experience there, that he would be stuck in what to him is a gulag situation where BL won't play him and won't sell him. He sat in limbo for half a year when he was 17 because MLS didn't want to set a negative loan precedent and BL wouldn't sell him except for a huge price. They also wouldn't loan him out to another team. He was miserable.
    Donovan loved MLS and the Quakes because they let him play, they gave him a leadership role and boy did he run with it. All he wanted was the opportunity.
    Funny thing, this is the guy who once shunned MLS, signing with Bayer at 16. Now he's giving BL the second chance he gave MLS. Here's hoping it works out as well as his first change of heart.
    The real whiners, IMHO, are those on these boards who won't stop complaining about Donovan and how he should live the life that they envision. It's not enough that he's going to Europe - they're still whining about the statements he's made about going back.

24. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ

Well, his nickname is Baby Jesus :)

While I don't think DaMarcus Beasley's in the same league as Robben, LD is not too far off from him, although their positions and roles are slightly different.

A couple of years ago people might have slammed anyone who tried to compare LD to Frannie Jeffords. :eek: LD has been a consistently good player for a very long time, and it's frightening to think what he could do on the field w/ a 1st string Leverkusen team.

I'm not an LD apololgist. He was horrible vs. Jamaica. But he's a very nice player, and could succeed in any league. The bigger the stage, the better he seems to play. I'm looking forward to this.

25. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody else see the Real/Bayer match. The first 30 minutes were as bad of soccer as I have seen. Bayer had nobody on the field with any flair whatsoever -- maybe it was just a tactical decision playing in Madrid, but neither side was impressive.

BTW, Landon is 22, not 24.