Donovan Cut - is this the end of Landon?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Donovan was terrible against Mexico in the game that sealed our qualification. What a dog.

His form has been way off -- that is a fact.
    But he is still better and more valuable than several other players selected. I respect JK's long term vision and tournament philosophy. I disagree with this choice and hope he doesn't need a game changer with 20 minutes to go.

But I think it will prove costly to us in Brazil.

dwsmith1972, NBlue and Reccossu repped this.
  2. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    My responses in bold caps above.

jeffmefun repped this.
  3. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan deserved to be there. I'm taking a long break from this forum. Bye.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  4. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You clearly must be watching how Julian Green lit up 4th division German football.

Gisselbrecht, russ, deuteronomy and 3 others repped this.
  6. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Did you see how fit he was for Honduras then turned down invites when he was healthy.

StillKickin, WrmBrnr and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. Cowboy Junky

Cowboy Junky Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Wyoming
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to me like they aren't buying in to Klismann in LA. Bruce Arena has been very critical of Klinsmann in the press and hasn't exactly cooperated with Jurgen during the cycle. Alexi hasn't exactly been supportive of Jurgen in the press. He has been extremely critical of Klinsmann.

I think the boys in LA are trying to prove that we didn't need to change the American style of soccer.

8. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    That's a legitmate way to look at it. And Klinsmann might be wrong. But the decision was not irrational. In fact some people were predicting this before camp.

9. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You keep saying that Donovan is not fit. How about a link?

Berks and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Guaranteed the veterans in particular.

Bajoro and keller4president repped this.
  11. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    I guess it is just a matter of opinion, from what I see on the outside as a fan....and what you see. Do you really think that Donovan has the mental strength needed? He was full of excuses, setting himself up for failure. He wasn't in it 100%, and I "think" that is why he was let go...oh, and that he was very far removed from a decent fitness level.

However, I don't think we will ever know....and certainly Bigsoccer and all its wisdom is not the source of info regarding this...it's a gutsy move and in my opinion, the 2014 Landon Donovan does not help this team at all...

12. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Landon of a few years ago would far and away be the best player in the pool today. It's unrealistic to say he should have to meet that standard to be included in the 23. But he was better than I'd seen him in a long time after his sabbatical. Who else do you think would've matched his play in the Gold Cup?

StillKickin repped this.
  13. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    The day was coming. Sooner than I thought.

Cool Hand Luke repped this.
  14. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty convenient to leave out this year, where Davis has 1 more goal and 4 more assists.

15. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Guys, I'm not sure that LD and Klinsmann are pals. But there's no big conspiracy about this. If LD were in shape and in form, he'd be on the plane.

16. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    #141 SUDano, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
    He was 31 and was in Cambodia for a month. Don't players get to take an offseason when physically breaking down? He extended his offseason a month and missed no regular season games for the LA Galaxy.

StillKickin and Xenimus repped this.
  17. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. Ignoring the words that came directly from the guy that's known for his brutal honesty (sometimes to the detriment of himself).

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  18. FC Radar USA

FC Radar USA Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    I think we are all speculating heavily here as to why Donovan was cut. I am interested to see if Donovan or Klinsmann speak to the press about it. They have been in camp for 9 days. Donovan in the first episode on ESPN has said he is having trouble competing physically multiple days in a row. My limited viewing of MLS this season, I have not seen him making consistent runs up and down the field either. I suspect, but would love confirmation that Donovan was struggling showing physical consistency and forced the decision.

cnaw repped this.
  19. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to throw more irrelevant kindling on the fire, here's Klinsmann's son's tweet (I believe Jon is 14...):
    469600427500376064 is not a valid tweet id

RT @jonklinsmann HHAHAHAHA DONAVAN HAHAHAHAA I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE UNTIL PHONE NOTIFIED ME HAHA

deuteronomy repped this.
  20. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BS. He's in shape - go watch MLS Live.

As for form, please explain Brad Davis and Julian Green. Thanks.

22. Cowboy Junky

Cowboy Junky Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Wyoming
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckily the world cup camp that both of them got invited too was more important than a game two years ago in Honduras.

Americans are still pissed that Timothy Chandler played hard to get. Get over it. He's an American and unlike Donovan, he's hasn't taken a year off and he didn't show up to camp 20 pounds fat.

23. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The United States needs someone better than Cobi Jones to hold the caps record, Landon is our only hope.

Neuwerld repped this.
  24. a4anthony

a4anthony Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Greer
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One plays a position of need and the other plays in our most crowded positions. One is our best bet against the talented wingers in the group the other has been losing his physical gifts that made him good.

25. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    As much as Donovan needs to go to the World Cup, I've never been a big fan of his honest, open, reflective self analysis to any camera sitting in front of him.

jeffmefun repped this.