Donovan Cut - is this the end of Landon?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I can't even imagine. And now, when these guys are made available to the media, the first and second questions are going to be about the guy who isn't there. Its unnecessary pressure added.

He has to have been hurt, and I hope more info about this decision clarifies it.

2. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fine, but if we *do* perform well, can we expect a whole bunch of the people who are now outraged to show up, hat in hand, to say "Yes, JK made the right decision" ?

Because for that last Mexico match, people were saying JK should be fired just for not starting him *then*, which decision was completely validated when LD came on late and was *still* sluggish. I never saw anyone turn around and say, "Oh, yeah, that was probably the right decision not to start him".

That is not to say I don't think this is stunning. I don't know if it's the right decision, but he owns it now either way. We shall see.

dwsmith1972, gunnerfan7, Guinho and 2 others repped this.
  3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is he going to say? Of course he says he wants to be part, and of course he'd rather be on the team. But if you and keller4prez think that his body language is consistent with a guy who is ultra-motivated, I will just have to leave you to your own beliefs. I love LD. But I simply didn't see what you saw. I saw a guy who had made peace with not going, not a guy who was going to go down swinging, no matter what.

UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  4. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    2003 ESPN article by Marc Connolly "He failed there because he didn't believe in himself"

jamtime and mette72 repped this.
  5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm literally shocked it happened before any friendlies. It's not like Landon stepped on the pitch over the course of the three lead-up friendlies and failed. He wasn't even given the chance.

This tells me there's more going on behind the scenes between those two or literally, Landon just looked terrible in training. We'll hear more I'm sure.

This can't be about JK thinking a Brad Davis or Green is better than Landon today. Can't be. There has to be more to this. It's got to be something like a serious difference in philosophies which JK thinks undermines his ability to manage the squad and that he thinks Landon is hurting the squad. Based on sheer talent alone, there's plenty on this squad who aren't at Landon's level. Landon isn't the Landon of old, but he's not Brad Davis or Brad Evans either.

jaxonmills and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    How do you know this? Perhaps the opposite is true...LD out, team mentality improves...LD is a mental midget...just watch the first episode of the ESPN series on right now, and you will find the reason LD is out...

7. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Not calling up Ronaldinho backfired for Brazil in 2010.

Like others here, this really makes little sense to me. I mean WTF.

esco300, Pl@ymaker, xsosx and 1 other person repped this.
  8. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not the way I would have started the thread, but we do need an N+A thread to discuss the issue so I'll leave it as is.

And I wonder what stage of grief I'm in?

StillKickin, Geneva, Bajoro and 2 others repped this.
  9. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    It's not strictly his age. It's his fitness and form.

GiallorossiYank and Cool Hand Luke repped this.
  10. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So is Klinsmann going to be welcomed at the Stub Hub Center if the US flops

11. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I guess so.

If I'm Landon, I'm done.

Of course will support 100%, but I'm absolutely pissed right now. I want to punch Klinsmann.

So Brad Davis is the answer? Or Green? JEZUZ.

taylor, esco300 and Berks repped this.
  12. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    'Whatever Klinsman says is right by me'
    Julian Green is better than Landon Donovan? Really.
    The promise to include Green and decisions not based on merit will tear this team apart.

Gisselbrecht, Pl@ymaker, Berks and 2 others repped this.
  13. FameThrowa

FameThrowa Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Completely agree with this. LD has said the wrong things lately.

14. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    M. Night Shyamalan off in Klinsmann's ear.

15. Cowboy Junky

Cowboy Junky Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Wyoming
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is all on Landon. If you want to play in the world cup, you don't take a four month vacation to go to Cambodia. You don't show up to the game before camp starts 30 pounds over weight.

16. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Left-footed set piece delivery, and less baggage.

Hobo and luftmensch repped this.
  17. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    I have to assume Brad Davis is starting at this point. Who else do we have at left midfield if Fabian Johnson is the Left Back. Bedoya on the left where he's never looked comfortable? Julian Green? Is he ready for THAT role?

18. FameThrowa

FameThrowa Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Green is very inexperienced for sure. But what if aside from being younger, he's also fitter, faster, and hungrier? What if Donovan hasn't shown well in training? Do you just bring him based on past achievements?

Guinho repped this.
  19. Mainer5

Mainer5 Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Topsham, Maine
    My problem with Yedlin, after watching the Rev's torch him in their last game with Seattle, is that while he has speed, he doesn't know how to use it effectively, and loses position too often... Green was promised a spot, not happy about it unless he turns into a Rossi in the future, but that is the coaches choice...

20. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps we should compile a list of potential explanations:

- Landon was secretly disliked by a bunch of other players
    - JK didn't want Landon on the bench distracting
    - JK honestly felt Landon wasn't good enough at his position / role
    - Landon's fitness was in question
    - Landon's commitment was in question
    - Landon was fooling around with Wynalda's wife

It seems inexplicable to me... just trying to inventory potential theories and see what turns out to be correct, if we'll ever know.

Guinho repped this.
  21. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Replace "Landon" with "Chandler" and your logic is both true, and contradicted by reality

Gisselbrecht repped this.
  22. chris4usa

chris4usa Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is complete bullshit. Why even call in a 30 man roster Klinsi and play mind games! Oh wait that's what you have done the whole time as coach. Don't even let them play in a friendly? This is so stupid on so many levels.

Berks repped this.
  23. MLSFan10

MLSFan10 Member

Mar 23, 2014
    While I'm surprised Klinsmann had the balls to pull the trigger on this, I'm not surprised he did it. He doesn't like Landon for whatever reason.

I feel like cutting Landon served Klinsmann on two fronts 1) he just doesn't like Landon on a personal level and 2) it sends a message to the team that "no one's safe".

That said, I think the US has the talent to overcome the loss of Landon. I hope Julian Green is ready to step up.

24. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so excited.

I can't wait to watch Evans and Gonzo play Germany...