Donovan Cut - is this the end of Landon?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Casual fans or people who only follow soccer once every four years know him better than Bradley, Dempsey, and Howard though. Right now, my Twitter has blown up about Donovan being cut, acting like he's still our star player when he probably wasn't even starter quality.

Soul Rebel, Xenimus and ImaPuppy repped this.
  2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make the assumption that he was cut because JK doesn't "like" him. I see that stated all the time, but that statement is a leap. Thinking that someone doesn't fit what you want to do, or doesn't do what you like them to do on the field is not the same as not "liking" them. Far too many are making this out to be a personal vendetta by JK. I think it's totally unfair.

Second, all the guys you listed above were guys who, for their entire careers (even at those late stages), lived and breathed the game. They were desperate to play in another World Cup (with the exception of Zidane maybe). Landon hasn't shown nearly the same passion for the game down the stretch here that those guys did. And simply, it matters. He has, for several weeks and even more so lately, been speaking like a guy who doesn't think it's a big deal either way. Again, that matters.

3. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we don't perform well (which we probably won't), this will all be blamed on this, whether it had any effect at all. People will be up in arms even if Donovan would have made the team worse and whoever plays instead of Donovan lights it up.

Dage and RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  4. BaconMix

BaconMix Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Next question is... who's our new #10?

CAllen91 repped this.
  5. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    This.

Casual fans are going to be FAR more perplexed than us about this exclusion.

6. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah jeez. This won't be good.

esco300 repped this.
  7. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has said he is playing out his contract with LA. Not retiring.

This is beyond bonehead stupid. It's clueless, it's vindictive, and it's stupid.

Someone on here please tell me what Brad Davis brings that LD doesn't.

Livid.

8. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I think it is a joke and a huge mistake that he was cut.

[​IMG]

http://thebiglead.com/2014/05/22/landon-donovan-left-off-final-u-s-world-cup-roster/

Donovan’s left the team last year for a self-imposed soccer sabbatical, but appeared work his way back into the fold during last summer’s Gold Cup. Even with his form questionable, this is a huge shock — a true jaw dropper. Yes, Donovan is 32, but by no means is that old in soccer terms. Knee-jerk logic would make you think Klismann had to find a spot for him among the 23 players.

Klinsmann did include Julian Green, Timmy Chandler, Brad Evans and DeAndre Yedlin. Those are the other big surprises in the final selection.

It seems that Klinsmann took the “Group of Death” draw against Ghana, Portugal and Germany literally, opting for a team that is more suited for the future — i.e. the 2018 World Cup — than, perhaps, winning in Brazil next month.

By the same token, the U.S. is going to have its hands full in Group G, would Donovan — a shadow of his former self — make that big of a difference? Either way, Klinsmann is going to come under immediate question by the American soccer — if not sports community — for this decision that seems almost impossible to believe.

Klinsmann, knowing he’s locked into a long contract extension through 2018, rolled the dice, making the only truly bold decision with the final roster he could have made, a decision where Donovan’s performances in 2002, 2006 and especially 2010 apparently had little bearing.

The initial shock of the announcement is likely tied to the fact Donovan has been, for better or worse, the face of U.S. soccer in the 21st Century. A World Cup without the California native will be jarring.

Vote on Poll Daddy on this article. At the time of my post it was 78% he should go.

jarbitro and jamtime repped this.
  9. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Should have clarified, retire from international play.

10. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's certainly an attention-grabbing move.

11. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. I've posted multiple times that this is incorrect.

12. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    He said that if LD had more belief in himself he would have finished the 1v1 on Kahn.

jamtime repped this.
  13. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I can't believe you're saying he didn't want to go to a World Cup. Of course he did! If he didn't want to go, he could have retired from the international game a long time ago. Hell, he could have retired from the Nats after 2010. But he didn't, because he loves this team and loves the USA.

I see all of Landon's quotes as part of his personality - he downplays himself because he's not a self-centered egoist. He's a team player who leads by consensus and by building camraderie - not by yelling at other players and telling them how much they suck.

He is the lifeblood of this team - I honestly don't see who will pick up the slack. Howard and Bradley are leaders, but very different than Landon. I honestly don't see Dempsey as much of a leader, I don't know why he's captain. He's our best field player, but not captain-material.

14. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Where? When?

15. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    I'm surprised but not totally. he's spent a year barely being with the team, lacked committment, went on his sabattical, rarely played in midfield under klins, he's out of form, last game he was on the bench and was slow and seemed to have been a bit bigger than normal.

I'd have had him on my team but the whole anger at JK thing to me is people that are made because their idol has been insulted but not because he's in the best form. Granted like i said, he'd have been in my team and Julian Green likely wouldn't, nor would brad fricken davis or a bunch of other guys.

Master O, gunnerfan7, Dage and 2 others repped this.
  16. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Even in darkest moments, putting US Soccer on the front pages of websites and on Sportscenter.

17. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    This is a very poor decision, and one of the very few things he could have done pre-WC that, should we fail to advance, will result in actual public pressure and scrutiny.

Landon's knee must not be right, or those two really must hate each other, because I refuse to believe he thinks Brad Davis is a better bench option.

WrmBrnr, joelk, esco300 and 5 others repped this.
  18. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. He has specifically stated that he wanted to make the team in any way possible. And was willing to contribute in any way possible. Basically the exact opposite of what you just wrote.

He is not a rah rah sports platitudes guy. That's it.

19. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good god, what must Michael Bradley and Tim Howard think of this? Tim Howard just called Landon one of the two best players on the team!

The veterans must be aghast.

WrmBrnr, jaxonmills, wsmaugham and 4 others repped this.
  20. HelluvaEngineer

May 26, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow didn't realize all you guys got access to attend camp and watch the players perform for the past couple weeks.

taosjohn, BigTimeBull, MarkoC and 2 others repped this.
  21. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JK famously said that after the 2002 World Cup.

Ghosting repped this.
  22. FameThrowa

FameThrowa Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The meltdowns occurring in this thread are incredible. If Klinsmann guages that there are 23 more in form players than Donovan then it's logical that they make the squad instead.

I think it's clearly a hard pill to swallow but the USMNT has to move beyond Donovan at some point. Nothing lasts forever.

Dage repped this.
  23. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Is this like a really early April Fool's Joke or something....????

24. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is also likely the end of LD's illustrious international career.

I find it disgusting that both Bocanegra and LD were treated this way.

StillKickin, WrmBrnr, ChrisSSBB and 2 others repped this.
  25. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course not. But we have been watching MLS matches enough to know that yeah, Landon's form is in the toilet, but it's still better than Brad Davis.

Of course, as I have said before I would take Feilhaber or Nguyen in a heartbeat over either of those two right now, but that's another thread I think.