Donovan Cut - is this the end of Landon?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Show me one Anti-Bob post claiming he was deliberately sabotaging the team or intimating that he was an actual fascist.

2. RevvedUp10

RevvedUp10 Member+

Aug 10, 2010
    Watertown, Ma
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we fail to get out of the group, it will absolutely be time to reevaluate Jurgen Klinsmann, but the idea that he dropped a guy who himself has said his body is falling apart and can't make it 12 days in a row without feeling something bad is the wrong decision is just plain silly.

We'll find out in a month. Until then people should relax.

3. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I could not disagree with this line of logic more strongly. This is a terrible, terrible way to approach a World Cup.

Berks, WrmBrnr, deuteronomy and 6 others repped this.
  4. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    If Dempsey does his usual thing, Zusi plays amazing, Bedoya has a scorching group stage and the attacking supersubs impress, then you (and I) are wrong.

But if not, then we're right about this.

5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    They are a team with very little margin for error.

6. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ********ing hell people. Can we NOT turn this into "who did BigSoccer hate on more: Bradley or Klinsie"?

Pretty please?

swedust, deuteronomy, luftmensch and 3 others repped this.
  7. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Why?

8. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Bungadiri or Friedls Accent?

Ghosting and orcrist repped this.
  9. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    in a group that they were not likely to advance out of.

10. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I actually called it after watching the first episode of teh documentary thing before the WC on ESPN.

People said I was crazy for bringing it up...but I had a feeling this was coming. Donovan if he wasn't on point in this camp, was going to get cut.

Truthfully, he didn't look into it. I think even with what he did at teh GC, he wasn't fully there.

Whether it's because Donovan didn't buy into JK as much, or whatever, it is what it is. Huge decision. I think Donovan is useful, but at his state of mind, I don't think we would get good results out of him.

jond repped this.
  11. Android Cat

Android Cat Member+

Sep 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't agree more lol….

12. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Because why bother to go to the World Cup at all if you think the odds of advancing are so low that it gives you license to play guys who have no business being on the field in 2014?

Our odds of getting out of the group are a hell of a lot better than people have thought, but if we approach it in a clownish way, we're definitely screwed and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. If our manager doesn't have enough faith in the team to get the job done, he should quit.

It would be an awfully defeatist way for Mr Believe-In-Yourself to behave. I thought we were supposed to challenge ourselves against the best.

WrmBrnr, russ, deuteronomy and 6 others repped this.
  13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Yet that is what we are doing. With four years of security, he just cut the face of US Soccer.

14. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Sacrifice 2014 for 2018.

15. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I know, but people will still blame JK for not taking LD. It's human nature.

16. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    By bringing Brad Davis? Um, okay...

17. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    No offense to Bruce, but he did select a severely crippled John O'Brien for the 2006 World Cup. So he's not exactly a genius in roster selection. And what else is he going to say about his club's best player?

18. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    I never said that Klinsmann wouldn't deserve a ton of credit if we advance, but omitting Donovan was a mistake that will not make the task any easier. It goes without saying that making strategic mistakes and having successful outcomes are not mutually exclusive.

Private Entrance and schrutebuck repped this.
  19. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    So that means you don't bring your best team with you. You are obviously looking at this as a fan and using cliche's as opposed to how a team is actually chosen. Klinsmann isn't experimenting he actually thinks J.Green and B.Davis is better than Landon Donovan. Or he promised one of them. Experimentation has nothing to do with this.

Private Entrance repped this.
  20. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    It was a false security. LD was done After this one. Dempsey is going to be done in about two years.

21. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been through a number of these WC's now. Relaxation has nothing to do with it.

jeffmefun repped this.
  22. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get (negative?) bonus points for closing the Freddy Adu thread.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  23. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    If he were to say anything remotely like this out loud, he should be fired on the spot. Greece won the Euros, you play for *this* tournament, the future will take care of itself in the future.

24. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Fodder
    You are thinking emotionally.

25. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    International soccer isn't baseball; you don't tank a World Cup for the sake of youth development. That's what friendlies and the off-year Gold Cup are for. Julian Green has less than 10 minutes of 1st team club ball. NOBODY knows what he'll become in 4 years. 4 years in soccer is a LONG time. There's way, way too much attrition in a player pool to do that.

If JK or anyone else at USSF actually believe that punting and building for 2018 is a viable strategy they should be fired on the spot. It's shortsighted, foolish, and bullcrap logic that only the stupid buy into.

Swami, Berks, chris4usa and 4 others repped this.