Donovan Cut - is this the end of Landon?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Exactly. He brought these guys in to cut them, and he had to do it before the friendlies in case they went off and played insanely great. He straight ********ed a number of dudes who helped carry us through qualification, and the greatest player in US history.

2011 Fireman, StillKickin, Berks and 2 others repped this.
  2. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said Brucey.

3. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this real life?

You want us to believe that Klinsmann has held a grudge against Landon Donovan since 2002 because Donovan couldn't score against Klinsmann's own country? WTF?

You also, conveniently, forgot to note that Klinsmann brought Donovan to Bayern Munich, after this supposed grudge began.

Take off the tin foil hat, please.

Kot Matroskin, Guinho, cnaw and 8 others repped this.
  4. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bedoya? Beasley?

5. aila76

aila76 Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Auburn, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the first time I've posted here in years probably, but wow this angers me. Such a horrible decision. I hope I'm wrong, but I can't help but feel failure is pretty much sealed now in Brazil. Not because Donovan would have carried the team on his back, but because this WILL cause problems within the team and his absence will be felt. Brad Davis making it over Donovan (who is a midfielder - who are you kidding, Jurgen?) is absurd. I think the surprise roster announcement coming now, before even the first friendly is played, shows that Donovan wasn't even really given a chance. He was called into the 30 for show. This is disgusting. I feel like Klinsmann has kind of scammed US soccer - the team will fail badly in a few weeks, the pressure calling for his firing will be too much for the US to not fire him, but they will still have to pay him for another 4 years. I hope I'm proven wrong (I'd love it, believe me) but right now this has all the makings of a trainwreck. Great timing, too... :(

taylor, chris4usa, Pl@ymaker and 2 others repped this.
  6. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    So I guess it means Robben doesn't believe in himself because Casillas made a great save on him during a break away in the World Cup final in 2010. It's just Klinsmann being Klinsmann, letting his mouth run ahead of his brain.

StillKickin, WrmBrnr, Pl@ymaker and 3 others repped this.
  7. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Pathetic.

8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Exactly how I feel.

NMMatt repped this.
  9. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Maybe. I hope Bedoya myself and he figures out how to be comfortable on the left.

Cool Hand Luke repped this.
  10. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the worst I've felt about this team going into a WC.
    Because Green might continue his deer in the headlights act, and it would be hard to take him to Brazil. When that had already been promised.

11. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really?

Klinsmann hated Landon Donovan so much post-2002 he made him his only signing after his controversial appointment as the manager of the largest club in all of Germany and one of the biggest clubs in the world?

Guinho and onefineesq repped this.
  12. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The rare moment of clarity from Lalas,

Alexi Lalas ‏@AlexiLalas 44m
    No problem with LD out of #USMNT, but you do it after Cambodia. Don't name him to 30 in May '14 and then tell me he's not one of best 23.

StillKickin, Berks, cnaw and 11 others repped this.
  13. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I'm giving Klinsmann the benefit of the doubt by interpreting it as him saying Donovan blundered away those 2 shots. Klinsmann is right on one.

14. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some states are effed in the head.

Guinho and keller4president repped this.
  15. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Green, obviously. Part of the agreement.

16. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling Jurgen wanted to make this announcement this early because he knew alot of people will be shocked and this gives them as much time as possible to settle down and focus on preparations in time for the world cup

taosjohn and UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  17. RevvedUp10

RevvedUp10 Member+

Aug 10, 2010
    Watertown, Ma
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice, Bruce Arena's not a fan of the move...looks like we actually have a shot.

18. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone say it's a grudge? Could it be possible that it just hasn't been the most supportive or motivational relationship for Landon? Or that Jurgen has failed to adjust his coaching techniques to get the most out of a very talented player? There are plenty of ways to interpret the Landon/JK/Bayern narrative. Jurgen returned to Bayern with the tastiest jewel he could bring from the States. Landon would be hard pressed to turn Jurgen or Bayern down. It didn't work out. Proof of anything? Not really. Evidence of a supportive, functional, productive relationship? Not that, either.

19. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I'm not saying it's a 12 year grudge...but it's clear Klinsmann has always held Donovan to impossible standards. The Bayern thing was all for show...he clearly never actually played him in a bundesliga match. I think that was just Klinsmann trying to get all the other players into shape by showing them how fit the American was.

20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not even that. Many of my European family members believe the same thing as Klinsmann. Not about Donovan, but in sports in general. A team or players failure to win seems to always come down to lack of belief or lack of effort or lack focus, lack of coaching, lack of discipline, etc. It almost never comes down to the winning teams great play or superior athletes, incredibly high technical skill, etc. In other words, it's all about the loser being a loser. Klinsmann probably feels this way in general. I think that making it out to be some singular thing that he believes about Donovan which causes him to have some irrational vendetta against him particularly is far afield from the truth.

21. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I find Lalas to be surprisingly good in analysis when NOT on a television. He and Twellman absolutely nailed it on their podcast last week. Really insightful stuff, asking a lot of tough questions about what Klinsmann is doing, etc.

But you put him on TV and he can't help but play the clown. Twellman also significantly worse on TV. They should really be hosting a radio show.

cnaw, taosjohn, CAllen91 and 3 others repped this.
  22. RevvedUp10

RevvedUp10 Member+

Aug 10, 2010
    Watertown, Ma
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, let's compare children who commit crimes such as murder or other serious crimes to one who said something stupid on twitter.

I can't think of any rational explanation to say something that stupid.

CAllen91, Statman and stonejh127 repped this.
  23. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with this. I was just pointing out that you left it out of your summary and, moreover, it strongly suggests that Klinsmann respected Donovan and valued him very highly, contrary to your implications.

24. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    After 2010, it became pretty obvious that he has a "character" on tv.

25. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Impossible standards?

Yeah, can we get a World Cup winning, formerly world-class striker to comment on Donovan's finishing in 2002 please instead of this hack? What standards do you think Klinsmann held himself to?