Donovan Cut - is this the end of Landon?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is a great player, no doubt. But in 20 years is anybody going to talk about him? I would guess Ronaldo's going to make "best ever" lists for a long time to come.

And I don't even like the guy (added since it sounds like I'm all over his jock).

2. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they have people better than him who can play that position (Khedira, Schweinsteiger, or Lahm would be our best player if they were American).

SoccerMIGermany and deuteronomy repped this.
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Landon didn't get fat, he just got his "man body." In your 20s you have the "young buck" body, very different. That's why when you're 20-something and you have to fight a guy in his 40s, the one thing you avoid is he connecting a punch to your jaw. He'll break it, even if he's smaller than you.

The "young buck" body is what most wingers need. It's good for speed, for agility, for turning this way and that, dribbling past people. Landon has been moving from winger to playmaker, and a playmaker needs a "man body" so he's not pushed off the ball easily, so he can cover it and the only way to take it away from him is by a foul.

He got a flat abdomen when standing straight. It looks bulky when you're all hunched over, speaking into a microphone. Bet you now Landon is stronger than ever though. I was a winger too, and at 5'10', 120 lbs., had the body for it. Then I aged and couldn't do it any more, so moved more to the center. It's tough to take the ball away from a guy who's 5'10" and 160 lbs. Also, you can push the "young bucks" around without making any effort, so the ref won't even see a foul.

I think Landon is going to end his career as a pure playmaker. For Galaxy, he's a creator now, and even last year during the Keanovan days, he was assisting more often than scoring, and when he scored was a return from a play he had created. All that makes the choice of playing him as a pure forward more puzzling.

4. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    First, pretty sure that was a sarcastic Lobos made.
    So, that goes back to even before this whole mess started. People were wondering where LD would fit in the team.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That Azerbaijan match showed we could use a real playmaker. Heck, the diamond formation is made for a creative 'trequartista'.

Geneva repped this.
  6. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    I was enjoying your post up until the second finally and the cheap shots. Brad Evans was one of JK's favorites for quite a while, but had no business there. Brooks may turn out be our future star CB and has a better upside than Goodson. Gonzalez was nursing an injury and should have been left off. But a healthy Gonzalez is better than Goodson. And you said LD was left off in favor of Green, but then your number 5 bullet says Davis was chosen in favor of LD. Which one is it?

luftmensch repped this.
  7. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is that a measurement of how good he is now?

As I've said in other threads...if Pepe, Coentrao, Moutinho, Nani, Alves, etc were American, nobody here would be calling them average.

8. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    That game showed me they were playing with some heavy legs. JK even addressed why they chose AZE to play right after hard conditioning. So, we still haven't really seen what the team is capable of.

But, let's say you are right (And I do like the idea). Where would Donovan fit is not on the wings along with Dempsey and Bradley?

9. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Listless" would be very very suprising. That would indicate that the players themselves didn't give a damn......that's France of 2010, at Game 2 of WC, territory... we ain't there yet..... [:unsure: ]. Now, "Unsettled", that would be a reasonably understandable indicator of a bad omen of things to come...
    To the players on the team: "Eff JK and his merda, you guys take charge, settle down as a team, and drive right through Germany and out of the group. Heck, drive right to the damn final. It is your WC, not Jay Goeppingen's".

Private Entrance repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    CAM, in the diamond:

---------------Jones---------------
    -----Bradley-------Bedoya-----
    -------------Donovan-----------
    -----Dempsey---Jozy----------

Zusi in a diamond is wasted, he won't be going wide any more. And Bedoya is better than Davis, IMO. Both Bradley and Bedoya can defend too, so when under siege, it goes back to 4-3-1-2:

------Bradley----Jones----Bedoya------
    -------------------Donovan----------------

All that is a moot point, though. But it makes much more sense to have Donovan as the primary CAM than Bradley. Bradley is a connecting CM, not a distribution/attacking master.

Berks and pichichi2010 repped this.
  11. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. We'd be calling the majority of them MLS All Stars... But isn't it your contention that MLS level just ain't good enough?

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  12. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    Davis looks to be a starter tomorrow and I'd be shocked if he didn't start at least one game in Brazil. For those of you who are defending the Donovan cut, are you OK with Brad Davis starting for us in the World Cup?

13. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you implying that it's a bad decision regardless of what happens in said hypothetical World Cup match?

14. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Natural Light.

luftmensch repped this.
  15. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    No, why would you infer from my question that I think it's a bad decision even if it works out? I think it's going to go horribly awry and I'm wondering whether those who support the Donovan cut, sitting here today, also think staring Brad Davis in a World Cup match is going to go poorly.

16. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention that Boyd was left off the roster in favor of Wondo. Unless that was done just to throw us off the trail....

17. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't infer it. I asked you if that was your meaning.

18. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not calling them average by any means. But I'm also not calling them extraordinary, best-in-the-world-at-their-positions talent.

Anyway, this is all beside the point, Ronaldo is in his absolute prime and Landon isn't. Leaving him off the roster seems premature, but leaving Ronaldo off the Portugal roster would be the dumbest move in World Cup history.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  19. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    I'm guessing no one's actually going to answer the question presented...

20. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would try USA Men General. That's where the few people supporting Donovan's exclusion have congregated I think.

21. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG! How did it come to this? And I like Brad Davis.

22. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    For the record, I like Brad Davis too. Great player. Loved me some Steve Ralston too. Neither was/is World Cup level, however.

23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My take on Klinsmann not taking Donovan to the WC is that it's a huge mistake.

I understand that Donovan has not been playing at his best. I also understand what Klinsmann is trying to do with this team. While I think it's necesary for US soccer to emphasize ball skills like dribbling, ball control, short passing etc at every youth age level in order to improve for the future, right now with what's available today the best hope for this WC is to emphasize athleticism, endurance and conservative tactics. That's what Klinsmann is trying to do, and I can see how Donovan doesn't fit into this model.

Nevertheless, a player like Donovan can still make the difference. Maybe right now he should not start for this team, but he still should be on the list. As an option to come in during the second half of a tight game, I cannot imagine the 14th to 23rd players on the list being able to make the type of difference that Landon can still make.

He will probably not admit it, but I'm sure there will come a point during the WC when Klinsmann will regret not having Landon on the bench as an option to come into a game.

Private Entrance, Geneva, Tejas and 8 others repped this.
  24. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Orrrrr a bunch of Bundesliga players has been introduced who are all just very fit which is something the Bundesliga is still known for. Mmm.

25. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To a certain extent, this is true, however, he was called into camp for three caps after being a fixture on their youth squads. Low quit calling him back and the rumor was that he was too much of a loose cannon. And injuries played a part, perhaps, also. Anyways, he was one of the first players to make the one time switch (to the US). Again, the point being, Jurgen can work with someone like Jones, however, mysteriously Donovan appears to be an issue.
    Absolutely, they have about 8 players that we probably would build our team around.

Private Entrance and luftmensch repped this.