Donovan: Bremen vs Munich; 11:00 a.m est on Gol TV

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Red_Devil22, Feb 28, 2009.

1. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's talking about Gooch, probably.

2. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I just watched the last 20 minutes of the game. I don't usually watch the German league...are the announcers always that snippy and critical? They certainly aren't like that when they're calling La Liga games.

They acted like Donovan was the only person who'd ever had a ball taken away from him, except that they were down on the rest of the team before he came on.

Not terribly entertaining.

3. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought it was a pretty entertaining game for the most part, which is usually the case when a team plays a man down for most of the match, yet still manages to outplay their opponent.

Were you listening to a match with German commentary? They can be much more critical than anything you will hear from Americans or even British.

4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And a million times more critical than the arabic announcers i was listening to.
    But, in my experience, the German annoucners are usually fair. They spare no one, but at least it's equal.
    I agree, I thought it was a good match, some great chances, some really fine goalkeeping. And it's been difficult for me to watch LD (a player i hope will do well) with Bmunch (a club i really don't like) in turmoil. Mixed emotions, a little disappointed things are going better for him, but hugely amused at the clubs free-fall.

5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There is that. Klinsi is not known as a tactician. A great motivator is the rap. And very American, in his willingness to try new things in training. But he leaves the game strategy to others. At least that was the chatter in Germany. Might have been just an attempt to soften the blow when he stepped down after the cup.

6. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was pretty widely known that Löw handled most of the tactical decisions.

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I've been out of germany for most of the past year, so haven't been as in touch as usual, but he's not considered tactically inept, is he?

8. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I watched on GolTV. I don't know the announcers name -- he's the one who speeks with a Latin accent (spanish?). Always very positive for La Liga games, but he was really going after BMunich and about the 1st thing he said (which would have been the 70th minute) was about both Donovan and Klinsman both going back to California.

9. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those announcers were kind of clueless.

They were really having a go at Lukas Podolski and how he was always complaining about not getting playing time, even to the point of wanting to leave BM and perhaps go back to Koln.

Gee, ya think?

10. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Klinsmann or Löw?

I wouldn't say that either is inept. Löw is pretty good usually, but Klinsmann is starting to feel some pressure, I think. They are leaving too many holes in the back, which is OK if you are scoring three or four every game like Germany did in their World Cup run, but Bayern haven't been doing that.

11. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pablo Alsina was the main guy last night. I had heard the guy ripped for his commentary before, but never knew which voice went with the name. It was pretty dire.

I don't think they were especially insulting of any players, they were just regurgitating the lines that have already been floating around the soccer media, and not that well, so it was just annoying.

12. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    thanks, yeah, sorry, i meant klinsi. He didn't make adjustments to tear apart a short-handed side yesterday (by tear apart, I mean spread them even thinner). But sometimes you keep them running, then go for the goal late, and i figured that had to be why LD came on.
    I did think Bremen was looking really vulnerable for the first time in the five to 10 minutes before he came on.

13. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything they have done this year has gone down the left side with Ribery and Ze Roberto. When that isn't working, there is no plan B. They also aren't direct enough for my tastes. Barcelona is about the only team in the world that can pretty reliably walk the ball into the goal two or three times in a game.

14. Fusion Logix

Fusion Logix New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Miami,Fl
    I just saw the replay for the game on goltv...

is it me or does it look as donovan has cynder blocks attacked to his feet?...he hardly broke out on a sprint or chased bremens attacking players down? made some nice passes but one awful play.

rainer made a great point, everything bayern have done is on the left, roberto is too old for the fast pace and ribery gets caught playing with the ball to much. the teams not looking good...they need someone in the midfield to push the ball quick from side to side...ala diego for instance

15. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree. I posted in the BM forums last week that I thought the team really lacked good wing play and they don't switch play fast enough. If you watch ManU that is how they create space when dominating. The ball really moves quickly side to side to allow players space to run at the defense. I also think they need a more intricate playmaker in the middle. Someone that can see those pinpoint passes and make them.

16. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Ze Roberto has been pretty great this year, but teams are eventually going to catch on to what you have been doing and make you adjust, and they don't seem to be able to do it.