Donovan: Bayern München vs Borussia Dortmund 2/8 11:00 ET (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Bite o' the Cherry, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Maybe it is just me but Toni in the last 2 games ive watched has looked every bit the same player as Zamora at fulham. He holds the ball up very well, makes some great passes that create chances on goal, but when he has a chance on goal he always seems to shank it and totally waste his chances. He had atleast 3 or 4 chances in this game and couldnt even really test the keeper! In the hamburg game he may have had 10 chances, though to be fair he scored one that was called off for no apparent reason. I'm not saying he isnt a quality player or that Lando should be starting over him by any means, just in the two games he has wasted a lot of good opportunities that i havent ever seen him miss before.

2. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    He will get better with experience; but a big component of that experience is getting schooled and making mistakes. On the first goal, Subotic turns his head to look at Klose just as the shot was being taken.

That doesn't mean we can't engage in a little schadenfreude. Subotic did pick Serbia over the US, so my interest in him is limited by the fact that he isn't American born. I don't foresee him ever again spending much time living in the US. Subotic's affinity was Germany first and Serbia second, with the US a distant third. He doesn't get much play for that reason. F-em:cool:

3. Hendrik

Hendrik Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Deutschland
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Altintop broke his foot in March last year, then returned and played one hell of a Euro but was unfortunately again sidelined until December. He just lacks match practice. Once he gets back to 100% he shouldn't have a problem to displace either Lell or Schweinsteiger on the right side.

4. eissman

eissman Member+

Feb 5, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is very fair assessment. Last year, this was NOT the case with Luca; this year, however it is.

He is a lone target forward realistically who plays well in a 4-5-1 situation. That isn't what Bayern plays.

Coupled by the fact that you can clearly now see the lack of communication and cooperation between he and Klose. It was embarrassing at times today the amount of occasions where one seemed to be in the others way.

Landon just may slip in there as a starter if this trend continues, but I wouldn't hold my breathe.

This is correct... well said Hendrik.

I just wish Ailtontop would not state he is ready and deserving of more time when it is clear he is still one step behind the play, regardless of his physical speed. His tactical speed is lagging still. It will take time.

I would love for once to see LD on the RM spot. I think he would compliment Bayern well there.

5. misterw11

misterw11 New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    Altintop looks a lot like Pando Ramirez during his time with the Galaxy. Altintop's thought process - "I'm 40 yards out and marked, I better pass this round thing into the crowd." Kinnsi needs to keep him on the bench.

Landon looked decent but he needs more time to make a major impact.

6. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's what I think I saw, too.

Three times in the second half -- once on a run by Altintop (EDIT -- Schweinsteiger or Lell?) and twice on crosses/passes by Ribery, I saw Klose and Toni making the same run into the same space. I think Donovan replacing Toni freed Klose to do what he does best without duplicating Toni's movement. Dortmund needed to adjust to the more mobile Donovan and that opened up just a tad more space for Klose.

Donovan was OK, but nothing special. He had a couple of good passes, and Altintop blew a chance to complete a 1-2 with Landon down the right wing into space. His corner was perfectly fine. But I also saw him muscled off the ball once or twice. With the game 1-1 most of time Donovan was in, Dortmund kept things tight and didn't give Landy the open space he can exploit so well. I'd say Donovan might have made a case for coming off the bench BEFORE Altintop, as a useful change for the sometimes duplicative Klose+Toni pairing.

7. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I have seen of Toni this yearly (not much, admittedly), he looks a lot more static than Klose, and certainly moreso than Ribery or LD. And, he seems to have been involved in a lot of miss-communications with other players, especially Ribery.

LD came on today and the team scored 2 goals, giving up none. Events like that quickly become food for thought for the head coach.

8. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    I'm fairly sure Altintop and Donovan came on at the same time.

9. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I'll agree that Klose and Toni seem to get in each other's way, and that Klose frequently looks the better player.

But it seems like pure fantasy that Bayern would let Toni go. His goal scoring record is tremendous.

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

It's just you. And any other wild reactionaries.

Two subpar games and you're ready to label him a Zamora? Good grief. :cool:

11. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point.

Klinsmann has always respected what Donovan can do for them. He has to show some production in the box score to get that respect from the board, who was reluctant to bring him over in the first place.

12. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is, but Bayern have a history of letting lead strikers go right as they start to hit their early 30s - and Luca turns 32 at the end of May. They shipped Elber when he was 31; they shipped Makaay at 32. Both guys were still great scorers, but not what they had been a year or two previous.

Does Toni fit that mold? His scoring record this season and last suggest otherwise, but Bayern are nothing if not savvy wheeler-dealers. And it's worth noting that he never spends more than 2 or 3 seasons at a time with any particular club. So while I wouldn't exactly expect him to leave in the summer, it wouldn't be the shock of the century either.

13. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klose is 30, and they probably aren't going to sell him anytime soon. if they were going to sell a forward, it would be Toni, but I can only see him leave for an Italian club

14. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    This statement amused me. There are a hell of a lot of players on this planet 'more static' than Ribery or LD. I wouldn't hold that against Toni. Next are you going to complain that he's shorter than Peter Crouch? Not as quick as Messi?

15. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is correct. Klinsmann will keep giving him playing time as it is important for BM that Hamit regains form. He has only played twice in substitute roles since September before today.

16. dogbyte

dogbyte New Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Los Angeles
  17. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    Klose did get in his way once in this game were he took the ball off his feet :D

18. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, be amused, if you wish. Toni being "static" is exactly the problem when there are guys with Klose's and LD's quickness around him. He's got to get with the program or get out of the game.

19. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True but if Toni had passed it to Klose he would of had a strike on goal. They were getting in each other's way and the LD sub changed that dramatically.

20. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, Luca, just score and you can stay on the field.

Klinsi said he had a gut feeling about leaving Klose in and taking Toni out, and I've got to agree with that feeling. Klose was much more active, quicker, and had forced the goalie into many more saves than Luca had. Klose is a better finisher than Luca. Luca doesn't force near as many saves from the goalie, as he misses the target more often than not.

I really think had Luca stayed on, FCB wouldn't have won that game. Just think back to the previous week's game: Luca missed a point-blank header when he was wide open that would have won the game.

Luca will get over it - he most certainly hasn't lost his starting spot - but he needs to remember the main point: hey, your team won! Rejoice!

Just perusing most of the German newspaper Web sites, that story gets as much or more press than the fact that they actually won the game in the closing minutes and are in second place. I guess they truly are FC Hollywood. :)

21. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I wondered at that. Looked like Toni had space on the right he was headed towards and either expected to get the ball back or never wanted Klose to take it in the first place.

22. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Klose screwed that run. But he sure made up for it.

Re: LD. He did fine, but nothing game changing. Did his job, Klinsi probably happy. Being on the field for 15 minutes or so while your team nets 2 goals is a positive, but yeesh, the fanboys are really stretching it to give him credit for a nice corner. the corner was good, but that should be a given at this level.

23. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Hmm, what exactly did LD do on those two goals? As I recalled, he had no part in them.

He had an OK 15 min in this match. Certainly didn't make himself foolish, but to go as far as even suggesting he as any influence in those two goals is like pulling wabbits out of a hat.

24. humin12

humin12 Member+

Sep 20, 2008
    Ferguson, Missouri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was below average because he missed a glorious chance to score (the one in which Altintop is close to goal but takes a horrible kick at the ball)

As I said in the BM boards, I was really excited to see Donovan at BM not only because he is an American but because i thought he could bring something fresh to the game after 60-70 minutes.
    But as I watch more and more of him, I realize that he's not what I had hoped for.

25. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

Trying not to be fanboyish here but that is what you have determined after what maybe a little bit more than a half of playing time? That is stretching it a little the other way IMO. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course.