Donny on the Spot - The van de Beek Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i feel bad for van de Beek in some ways. looking more and more like time to simply part ways. too far down the pecking order and none of the managers have fancied him. even the one he starred under.

hopefully he can get his career on track again. there is a player in there somewhere.

2. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Another one of our whimsical signings. We might have cut our losses sooner, but I think some were embarrassed by the prospect that he might actually do well elsewhere. He was signed as cover/competition for Pogba and Bruno. The board, not the coaching staff, approved his signing and that led to a lot of false hopes and broken promises too. I felt Ole mistreated him and unfairly chose to make an example out of him to keep other players in line.

3. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    There is definitely a player there and he is young. Nothing wrong with signing elsewhere and restarting his career. I am sure some German team could use him.

4. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Something ain't right with him. If he can;t even get game time under ETH it's over for him here. Hope he moves in January, he deserves a fresh start somewhere.

Deadtigers repped this.
  5. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    my only issue is we knew there was a player in there.

we knew there was a player in there with a higher ceiling than McTominay but we did not afford him as many chances as McTominay.

granted, he did not always cover himself in glory either here or on loan, but i think he offers more than McTominay and he actually has a body of work at the highest level. and under ten Hag no less. McTominay has nothing of the sort.

that coupled with ten Hag's comments that Casemiro is being kept out because of McTominay's form is curtains for van de Beek.

he hasn't even been used to spare Eriksen or anyone else. 5 minutes every 2 or 3 games benefits no one

CybrSlydr repped this.
  6. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I hope this loss to City ends the McTurd form talk. Donny is a shell of the player he was and even EtH says his confidence seems shattered. He won't be the first player to have a bad few years at a team that bought them but he can easily bounce back in Germany or Italy, we just have to accept that this was a bad purchase.

7. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't a bad purchase, it was a horrible mis-handling of an up and coming player.

8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Apparently he's injured

9. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Some very vague stuff on AWB and Donny injuries …

10. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    There must be something wrong with our trainers/coaches/conditioners when these guys get injured in training/making dinner/whatever. Because they certainly aren't getting injured playing since obviously, they're not playing. I don't get it. Unless they have some chronic condition going on ala Jones(and maybe Martial).

CybrSlydr repped this.
  11. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    OGS said the same thing about Sanchez a couple of weeks before selling him. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Deadtigers, CybrSlydr and United 16 repped this.
  13. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

Naboomagnoli repped this.
  14. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Yep. This is the difficult thing for Donny, he’s so specifically built for the final product that Ten Hag wants us to become, but so many of our players are still making these weird passing choices earlier in the process. And it’s a really tiring conversation to keep having with the Utd fanbase because fans always watch the ball, so they don’t see everything else that’s happening at the edge of the screen. And they haven’t really watched Ajax under ETH, nor do they have a single competent modern Utd possession side to draw from.

Something that needs to happen is Donny needs to get angry with his own teammates for not making these passes. People say he needs to assert himself but usually they mean he needs to drop deep and be part of To Feet FC - that’d be a disaster. But Bruno gives people an earful for doing anything other than pass to him. Ronaldo gets furious with players for scoring goals instead of him ffs. Meanwhile Donny just runs and waves and points at huge high value spaces, gets nothing and then just carries on. It’s all very well him being in the right, but he needs to make sure his teammates know that too. Otherwise by the time we get a team that finally makes the right decisions in these moments, he’ll be back at Ajax having been a makeweight for someone like Timber.

15. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    So what are they working on in training? Shouldn't ETH be telling them when Donny is playing to pass to him in those positions?

16. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just proves to me that the players we have aren't up for it because they don't have the vision to pick DvB out despite him being in great positions.

Fred and McShit aren't good enough.

17. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I think I agree with UtdArena’s suggestion was that they just like passing to Bruno because it absolves them of the responsibility of making a pass - whereas VDB asks them to take that responsibility themselves.

In Bruno’s case he’s not particularly accurate with these precision passes, what he likes is the satisfaction of putting his foot through a pass in the same way Rash likes to shoot with his instep. So the only time Donny can make a run for Bruno to find is if they’re on opposite sides of the pitch.

And as for McFred - look at this MarkStats pass map ffs. Three lines going into Fred, nothing coming out. Comical.
    1DC066D3-ACAD-4DE3-9D91-BEBA8502735C.jpeg

There are a few things we need, but in particular we need more precision passers who take responsibility and actively look to use good runs. We need a midfielder who can pass as well as Lisandro tbh.

SF19 repped this.
  18. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Enzo.

Naboomagnoli repped this.
  19. thefly

thefly Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I thought vdb looked decent going forward against Forest in his 30 min cameo - linked up well with Garnacho and could have got an assist or goal.

20. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sounds like his injury could be serious. Looking at the video, my guess is ACL. The on field test is usually pretty accurate to diagnosis this.

How the hell wasn’t that tackle looked at by VAR? It was horrendous, even if it looked like a bit of a slip.

21. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Show Spoiler
    74D597B8-A7F7-4028-9B2B-611216B10C71.jpeg

So gutted for him, man.

22. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After I tore my ACL, I couldn't walk. Mine was a twist - doctor said it looked like a rubber band had been twisted and exploded. No MCL or PCL damage thankfully.

SF19 repped this.
  23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Mine was almost identical to what happened to VdB. Goalie came out and speared my knee like that and my boot stuck in the turf. After mine, I couldn’t walk for a few days. But my friend did his and was walking fine later that day. All depends on how much swelling their is.

I saw one of the Twitter doctors said he think it’s MCL and PCL damage for sure with ACL being worst case.

SF19 and CybrSlydr repped this.
  24. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that tweet too.

I was batting with the winning run on second base. I hit a ball up the middle but was solely focused on making it to forst. First base coach was yelling, "GO GO GO". It didn't occur to me until later he was yelling to the guy rounding third to score.

So, I tried to make the turn at first in about 2 steps. Leg turned but my body kept going with my foot planted on the base. Lol

Sucker hurt like hell, hence no walking on it.

25. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    out for the rest of the season. confirmed:(