Donavan as Captain?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by brandonplaysguitar, Jun 29, 2009.

1. brandonplaysguitar

brandonplaysguitar New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Minneapolis, USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel he's really grown into a leader for the United States. He's also the best player we have and plays all over the place. What do you think? Would it be a good fit?

2. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. He also is one of the few player that deserves to be out there every game.

3. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    The US doesn't have a player by the name of Landon Donavan
    or Landon Donavon or Landon Donnovan either. They do have a player by the name of Landon Donovan though.
    It amazes me after 11 years on the scene people still don't know how to spell his name.

4. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Sure why not. I think being Captain is like upp-ing someone's game. Bonus points, atleast that's how I felt when I was captain. Carlos game doesn't not elevate the way Landon's does when he's playing captain.

5. nirwin

nirwin Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Aug 20, 2007
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point is that regardless of who the coach chooses to wear the armband, it doesn't change who the team leader is. And everyone knows that the team leader is Landon Donovan. When you make someone who is obviously not your team leader the captain, it is at best pointless and at worst can split the team. Our guys have seemed to accept what's happening with that and move on without a problem, but in the end, there's no real point in not giving the armband to the guy who is your captain for all practical purposes.

6. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Changing captains is not necessary. It may possibly cause a locker room rift and it has little to no potential to make a positive impact. While I agree Donovan looks like the team leader on the field, there is a lot more to a captain than just leading the team on the field. Maybe Bocanegra inspires others in training or in the locker room.

There just isn't really a reason to change captains, it's pointless and can only hurt the team.

7. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What he said.

I thought when Claudio retired it should have gone to Landon, but now that it has been Carlos for three years, there is no reason to change. Landon will be the captain after 2010, but as long as Carlos is healthy/on the field prior to 2010 he is the captain.

Remember what happened when Harkes was stripped of the captaincy in favor of Thomas Dooley.

8. ray of light

ray of light Member

May 14, 2003
    somewhere in this beautiful world.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL you "stole" my sentence. While reading the top of this thread I was thinking the same thing.
    Well done.
    AWESOME JOB LANDON DONOVAN!

9. ray of light

ray of light Member

May 14, 2003
    somewhere in this beautiful world.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahhhhhhh and you forgot "LONDON DONOVAN" on your list of stupid "nicknames" or "trash".

LANDON FOR CAPTAIN!