News: Donald Trump goes on a twitter rant against Megan Rapinoe

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by McSkillz, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Let's not forget that Colin Kaepernick has been kept out of the NFL by owners even though he's better that some of the starting quarterbacks. He finally accepted a financial settlement for the NFL's disgusting conduct, but he lost his NFL career. Fortunately, there's been enough support for Megan Rapinoe so far that no action has been taken against her. But we know that plenty of people--including some who've posted right on this thread--would like to see her kicked off the U.S. national team. It is indeed scary.

2. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #152 Smallchief, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    A measurement of prominence I sometime use is views of the subject's English-language Wikipedia article

So, how does Rapinoe come out against Trump in views of their respective Wikipedia articles?

6/28 49,056 (Trump)
    6/28 344,208 (Pinoe)
    6/28 24,968 (Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (second most prominent U.s. politician, after Trump.)

Conclusion: Briefly at least Rapinoe has up-staged Trump. Has Pinoe raised the visibility of the U.S. team? To quote another politician, "You betcha."

jackiesdad, blissett, McSkillz and 2 others repped this.
  3. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello McFly, if you're gonna jump into a conversation it's best to know what it's about. This particular conversation was her ongoing mudslinging with Trump. NOT about her ignorant protests. That's a whole 'nother animal.

4. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true. NFL has employed murders, rapists, child abusers, dog abusers.....IF they are good enough. A pompous protester?? That's nothing. IF he was good enough. He isn't.

Well they did change their rule and and she at least has to be respectful (stand) now during the anthem. So they did take some action.

Also as a side note, CK protesting while playing for a private entity and MR protesting while playing for the country she's protesting are quite different. If she truly did not respect the country, as she says, she wouldn't play for or represent it. But....$$$$$. And, like CK, she seems to like the limelight.

5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    USSF is a private entity.

jackiesdad and BostonRed repped this.
  6. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

7. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    So are you contending that USSF is NOT, in fact, a private entity?

jackiesdad repped this.
  8. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    So tell me, genius. WHY was The Orange Con Man going after Rapinoe in his childish tweets? Because he doesn't like the brand of cleats she wears?

orcrist, Bob Lamm and Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Much of this thread, including, probably, many of my posts, is well described by a line from "Macbeth":
    it is a tale, Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing.

We need to just leave it now as there is nothing new under the sun.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++
    SONNET 59
    If there be nothing new, but that which is
    Hath been before, how are our brains beguil'd,
    Which, labouring for invention, bear amiss
    The second burthen of a former child!
    O, that record could with a backward look,
    Even of five hundred courses of the sun,
    Show me your image in some antique book,
    Since mind at first in character was done!
    That I might see what the old world could say
    To this composed wonder of your frame;
    Whether we are mended, or whe'r better they,
    Or whether revolution be the same.
    O! sure I am, the wits of former days
    To subjects worse have given admiring praise.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nothing more to see here, move on, move on.

MrPerfectNot, blissett and Bob Lamm repped this.
  10. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    This particular conversation has included discussion of both Rapinoe's conflict with the disgusting man in the White House AND her protests during the National Anthem. I could quote many, many previous posts--both for and against Rapinoe--to document that. If you're going to jump into a conversation, meyers, it's best to know what it's about.

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    As a reminder this is the quote from January that was released on video and was partially responded to by some.

orcrist, meyers and Bob Lamm repped this.
  12. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    composèd :)

13. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I contending you don't have a clue what I'm talking about. And it doesn't seem like I'll be able to explain it to you. So it's smarter to just walk away.

14. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well McFly, because she said she would not visit the White House if invited. Try following along. (and of course, because he's just an @SS. and it gets him attention - kind of like why she does what she does)

However, someone very cynical might conclude he was doing it to piss her off and trying to motivate her to play better. And of course said individual would now say "see?". :cool:

15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Aw, shucks!

16. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do believe you were the one who jumped into MY conversation. If doing so you need to follow MY conversation, not everyone else's. You quoted me. I was talking about Rapinoe and Trumps mudslinging. If you want to talk about that fine, talk to me. But if you want to talk about something else other people are talking about...go talk to them about it.

17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    So let's try this again.
    You are attempting to draw a distinction between the NFL (Kaepernick's erstwhile employer) and USSF (Rapinoe's current employer) in a particular aspect: whether or not they are a private entity. Now, unless some law or the 501(c)(3) status has been changed, or Congress has seized control and commanded they be subsumed under some executive branch agency, USSF is a private entity like the NFL.

Do you disagree?

Bob Lamm repped this.
  18. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, to reintroduce the human element here; a reminder that Megan Rapinoe, despite being famous and outspoken, is a human being with human feelings, and a regular U.S. citizen without any real power who is being targeted for harassment by the POTUS, and in turn all his rabid MAGA brown-shirts.

Seriously, screw anyone who even obliquely argues she deserves this.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/sue-bird-megan-rapinoe-uswnt
    Another quote from her girlfriend:

kaged27, jackiesdad, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  19. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Sti
    Hey, great to know that you are the Rules Czar of this board. :)

jackiesdad repped this.
  20. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Thanks so much for posting these quotes. For anyone not aware of this, Sue Bird is an outstanding basketball player and WNBA star. I've been a fan of Bird for a long while and the same for Rapinoe.

BrooklynSoccer, blissett and orcrist repped this.
  21. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again.

[​IMG]

22. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not of the board, just of my conversations. If you want to talk about what I was talking about fine, but if you want to talk about what other people were talking about....talk to them.

23. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    My last comment to you, Meyers. I will post exactly as I choose and you (and everyone else) should as well. Your instructions mean nothing to me.

24. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a huge UCONN fan, and Bird has always been one of my favorites. Great clutch player.

Bob Lamm repped this.
  25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    So you were not trying to draw a distinction?

That's some weird phrasing if not. Were you tossing out a red herring? To what end?

Bob Lamm repped this.