News: Donald Trump goes on a twitter rant against Megan Rapinoe

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by McSkillz, Jun 26, 2019.

1. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Equal right is not a pie @Chastaen allowing everyone, including LGBT, equal rights does not take away the rights of others.

But, you clearly aren't listening. LGBT are not equal in America. They do not have the same rights and are not protected under the law.

Do you accept this as fact? Because it is.

Secondly, your religious "tolerance" argument is simply inaccurate. Religious people, such as Hinkle, who think LGBT do NOT deserve the same constitutional rights that she has, are not allies.

It's important to remember that Separation of Church and State allows you to practice whatever religion you want to. It ALSO PROTECTS PEOPLE FROM the bias and prejudice of those religions.

Lloyd Heilbrunn, Bob Lamm and blissett repped this.
  2. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no clue what you are talking about. Religious tolerance? Where did I even mention that.

But while on the subject...you are a walking example of what is wrong with GSM. You push that because people dont support you they discriminate against you. You want your freedoms while denying others theirs. You do not understand how intolerant you are in the name of tolerance. At least based on these posts.

People have a right NOT to support you if they dont agree with you. You can be gay and accepted without being supported. Some gay people do not support heterosexuals, and GSM supports that. But it should go both ways.

GSM police officers have been excluded from celebrating their lifestyle in uniform by GSM supporters. Not by homophobes, but by tolerant GSM communities. GSM firefighters, fine. GSM doctors, fine. GSM cops, screw them.

Maybe start being accepting if you want to be accepted.

kumuyc repped this.
  3. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    This is true.

Hang on...what constitutional rights has Hinkle been recorded as trying to deny people? Habeas corpus? Speedy trial? Right to face one's accuser? Right against unreasonable search and seizure?

No, bias and prejudice are not illegal unless one acts to deny someone a right. Separation of Church and State prevents the state and any church from entangling their authorities.

CoachJon and kumuyc repped this.
  4. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Are you saying the LGBT are trying to deny other people their freedoms!!!!

hahah.

ok, let's start at the facts @Chastaen, @BrooklynBaby @Timon19
    please read the below like 5 to 25 times.

1. Fact: LGBT do not have equal protection under Federal Law. They are not equal.
    2. Fact: LGBT now have the Constitutional right to get Married.
    3. Fact: In the USA, a secular nation, you can practice any religion you want.
    4. Fact: In the USA, a secular nation, and you may practice any religion but your religion is not allowed to take away the civil liberties of other American's based on what your religion says.
    5. Fact: Under the Constitution, the US can not make laws establishing one Religion - literally meaning we are not a Christian or Muslim Nation nor will we ever be. That would mean the end of the United States of America.

Let me know when you're ready to move forward. I have other work to do.

Bob Lamm, McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I'm ready to move forward once you tell me what rights Jaelene Hinkle has denied anyone.

jack sticker, kumuyc and MRAD12 repped this.
  6. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I think you are mistaking not supporting a specific cause with the delivery. I can’t speak for others, but I really don’t have a problem with Rapinoes stance on homosexuality. Not that I should have to justify it, but I support gay rights. This isn’t an “ ignorance “ issue ( you quoted Timon and made the claim.) ignorance implies lack of awareness or understanding. Accusing people of that is intellectually lazy and a poor route to go down.

I am criticizing her self absorbed attention seeking and using sports s as her mouthpiece. There comes a point where potential support backfires because annoyance. If you can’t see that I can’t help you.

Cannons, LevskiSofia and MRAD12 repped this.
  7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    OK, she was called back for what? a day? and then promptly released. To me that seems like a token call-up. I hardly call that "Given a chance".

CoachJon and kumuyc repped this.
  8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Those who are against Hinkle's decision cannot answer that question. Because she hasn't.

She has not denied anyone anything. She has never said others should not wear the pride colors. She just doesn't want to wear them. US Soccer could have easily given her a "plain" uniform with no symbols on it. Those that want to wear the pride jersey can wear it, those that don't, don't have to.

OK, let's hear the "chemistry" arguments.

CoachJon repped this.
  9. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008

You guys aren't really making sense. Hinkle doesn't have to personally deny rights to people to not be welcomed back on a team.

Bigots (or anti-black, anti-jewish, etc.) are routinely disciplined for speaking out publicly against equality or in this case the equality of their teammates.

Even if it's in the name of their Koran or Bible.

Go back and re-read my posts, thanks.

10. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It is the way for civilians to show respect for the flag that was taught and insisted upon and even forced on all school children, at least in Texas, through the 50s and 60s. It is the civilian "salute" to the flag. You also see it in news reels and other films from the start of filming to now. It is not "new" at all but it may be new to you.

11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population. - David Letterman
    Most surveys have about the same meaning and value. They are just like statistics in value:
    Most people use statistics the way a drunkard uses a lamp post, more for support than illumination. - Mark Twain

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  12. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It must be a regional thing. We put our hand on our heart during the pledge of allegiance but not during the playing of the national anthem.

jnielsen and Timon19 repped this.
  13. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It's pretty new in the context of the National Anthem. If you instead were referring to the Pledge of Allegiance, I'd agree.

Of course there may be a difference between Texas and Ohio.

14. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There is, Texas is bigger, better and we (when I lived there) have vastly superior braggarts.

Once a Texan was visiting New York and the New Yorkers were getting very tired of his bragging about everything being better and bigger in Texas so they took him to see Niagara Falls.
    When they showed it to him they said "Now, have you got anything like that in Texas?"
    He looked for a short while and said, "Nope. But we got a plumber that can fix that leak in about half an hour."​

CoachJon repped this.
  15. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Dear Brooklyn Soccer--Please know you have my respect and support for going through all the above. I love AND hate sports. The latter because of the endless sexism, racism, homophobia, and other bigotries of the sports world. That you have to carry on this particular battle on page about women's soccer isn't surprising, but it's surely distressing.

McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  16. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    This is true, but it wasn't the direction the argument was headed.

This is also true, but not where the argument was headed. There was a lot of ancillary stuff dragged in.

I don't know what ideas you have, but I literally do not care about any holy books.

I've tried. It's a weird, wild ride of arguments that don't logically follow.

CoachJon repped this.
  17. SOCCERMARINE

SOCCERMARINE Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are you guys blaming President Trump for holding Megan Rapinoe accountable for her comments?

18. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #94 cpthomas, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    My understanding is that, when Rapinoe started taking a knee during the National Anthem, her call ups stopped, even though USSF had not adopted a rule on it yet. (Rapinoe also was recovering from knee surgery.) Then the USSF adopted a rule saying "no taking a knee" but did not adopt a rule saying you had to put your hand over your heart, and Rapinoe said she would follow the rule. Then she began getting all ups again. Neither she, nor we, know if the timing of "no call ups" v "call ups" was coincidence or not.

Hinkle has been falsely accused of a lot of things, including recently on this thread -- I've read what she's read and said in order to see -- but she did refuse to wear the team uniform and I assume hasn't said she will wear the rainbow numbers if they're part of the uniform again.

So, Rapinoe has indicated she will follow the rules that apply to the team. Hinkle has indicated she won't. I think they have been in comparable positions, but have responded to it differently. I have a problem with Hinkle's religion, I think it's a bad one, but given it's her religion I have no problem with her following her conscience in relation to it. But, if that means not abiding by team rules, then she get to pay the price. Similarly, if the USSF required players to put their hands over their hearts during the National Anthem, and if Rapinoe or Altidore refused to do it, I would expect they would get to pay the price too.

Timon19 repped this.
  20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I missed it, I thought Trump was talking about himself. Certainly it all applied to him.

21. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Well said, cpthomas. The concept of Donald Trump holding someone accountable for their comments is hilarious. I wish that on a page about women's soccer I didn't have to see praise for the world's #1 misogynist. Solidarity with Megan Rapinoe.

JanBalk, sitruc, McSkillz and 1 other person repped this.
  22. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    As a culture, we are treading on dangerous grounds, including the new push for "Religious Liberty" through the 1st amendment. I'm not sure how many times this can be said, but clearly the message isn't getting through.

Hinkle's religion is trying to undermine the constitution and civil liberties of Americans.

You should have a problem with her "following her conscience in relation to it."
    Everyone who believes in the separation of church and state should.

23. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Don't worry. With my newly acquired religious liberty I'm going to smoke weed in all 50 states and throw virgins down volcanoes.
    Sadly only a few states have active volcanoes.

24. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    This is way too reasonable of a position to be taking here.

25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Please cite any actual action that she or her religion have taken at violating the Establishment Clause of the 1st Amendment, or any of Amendments II, IV, V, or VI.

CoachJon, Chastaen and kumuyc repped this.