Don Garber's State of the League :: Tuesday, December 2 @ 2:00 pm ET

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Knave, Dec 1, 2014.

1. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    So, what up with Canadian player classification and the away goals tie-breaker rule in the next playoffs and the stadium hunts for NYCFC and LAFC?

2. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Pretty sure he left BigSoccer due to stupidity of certain posters (which I have on ignore) that keep bringing up fall to spring schedule, pro/rel, etc. He is active on Twitter.

JasonMa repped this.
  3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1) Allegedly can't happen. Get on it, labor lawyers of BigSoccer.
    2) Keep it and quit changing ****.
    3) MLS hypocrisy. Though I understand the calculus on Miami - they've shown that they can't support soccer teams (or sports teams overall) well, so everything needs to be top-class in order for MLS to act on that. Having that Miami presser looks ridiculous in hindsight, however. All of that should have been happening behind closed doors.

tab5g repped this.
  4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys... GET ON TOPIC. Talk about something related to the press conference, or take a walk. I'm not asking again.

JasonMa repped this.
  5. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    11.9986 km from BMO Field
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I disagree with your interpretation, but as has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread it doesn't much matter anymore. The CSA is trying to work with MLS to find a compromise solution that provides incentives for American teams carry Canadians, but doesn't technically change their designation.

If that doesn't happen -- and the league is fine with it, it's certain people at the USSF that are not -- the CSA is prepared to test the legality of MLS/USSF's position in court. The legal opinion they have is confident they'll win.

That's me reporting. It's up to you whether you want to believe me or not.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm willing to believe you but you provide no evidence. I just don't see what you're reading in those articles that makes MLS's statement "fiction" even when the sources provided state in plain text that its a grey area.

7. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    What would it take for MLS to contract or relocate the 3 current Canadian teams?

8. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Yeah, I'm wondering where LAFC fits. Or Orlando. Funny coincidence that the loss mentions is $100M and the expansion fee looks like ... hmmm ... the same number?

9. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    11.9986 km from BMO Field
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Three of the most profitable teams in the league?

Stupidity.

When Saturday Comes and tab5g repped this.
  10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read the post above mine. I *think* he called tab's point stupid. Then tab repped the post.

Back on topic...I thought it was interesting that Garber seemed to say that NYCFC had a deal but somehow it blew up. I guess Yankee Stadium was a fallback plan.

tab5g repped this.
  11. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #311 tab5g, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    The conundrum may end up being that MLS could eventually need the Canadian franchises far less than the Canadian franchises need MLS.

It is a delicate and interesting inter- and multi-national balance, and certainly MLS wouldn't be in any rush to lose or to have to try to replace those Canadian franchises, but at the same time I'm sure there's only so much "trouble" that anyone involved with the league would want the CSA stirring up. But yes, for the most part all of MLS/USSoccer/CSA have mutually beneficial relationships that all will/should hope to maintain.

12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I repped it because it was a good reply (with which I basically agreed) to a question and a positive contribution to the thread.

My read on those comments by Garber is that MLS HQ honestly or likely at one point thought they had or could soon finalize the Flushing Meadows location, and once that didn't materialize, the Yankees and their venue (as a temp/shared site) were added in to the new and still-forming ownership group for NY2.

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Normally we're able to trust the regulars in this forum not to make it necessary to moderate every thread. It's generally a pretty handy forum that way, and means that if all of the moderators are in meetings or otherwise busy, that things don't normally go off the rails. Because folks in this forum, once asked to get back on topic, generally do in that thread and in others in the future. We shouldn't have to tell the same user/users to avoid the same points ad naseum.

JasonMa, KCbus and tab5g repped this.
  14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #314 KCbus, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    You know, somehow I just don't see that happening.

I can't imagine any scenario where MLS would be so dependent on Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver for their survival. I mean, I'm not one of those people who thinks Canada should start their own league necessarily, But with expansion still on the horizon, that would just open up three slots for other cities.

This isn't me saying that those cities in Canada should be jettisoned-- far from it. But outside of Vancouver's Cascadia ties, I'm not sure the league would suffer that much for them being gone.

That said, they're NOT going anywhere. And if there's going to be one league split between the two countries, they need to find a way to have players from both countries on even footing with each other.

15. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    The reality is that this thread is or should be a virtually all-encompassing "on-topic" depot, given the number of topics that were touched or re-introduced by Garber and his guests during the 70-some minutes of the 2014 State of the League address/round table.

Many of the posts that were binned after the first request were insightful "state of the thread" type posts (and did not reference the schedule, as requested). And a pair of posts were made (and then deleted by a mod) as responses to earlier on-topic points (related to the state of MLS) but as posts that were made prior to the poster reading the full thread or seeing the initial "request."

16. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tab, I'm going to leave that post up as your parting shot.

Now move on. Last warning.

The Devil's Architect and JasonMa repped this.
  17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #317 KCbus, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    Actually, you know what? I have a better idea.

Since we're just down to four or five people arguing the same old topics, off to You Be the Don. Go ahead and argue to your heart's content.[​IMG]

JasonMa repped this.
  18. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    So anyway....how does Don look?

Cancer beaten....right?

19. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    We agree there. (And you may have misinterpreted the post you were quoting.)

Absolutely.

20. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I'm not a doctor, but his ears certainly aren't getting any smaller.

21. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never seen mods so active before, not to mention rude. My two cents.

tab5g repped this.
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sometimes we all criticize the man but when a person is overtaken with an illness such as his, you can not help but keep him in your thoughts and how precious life is. I hope and pray that he did in fact beat it. :thumbsup:

JasonMa and triplet1 repped this.
  23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since you have a more hardy constitution than I, is he still on about the group stage playoff thing?

JasonMa and The Devil's Architect repped this.
  24. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Yes, and someone tweeted side-by-side pictures of him from something recent and from when he first signed with the league, and my reaction was not one of those "Oh, my God, /insert name of President/ looks like hell eight years later" things.

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Unfortunate that this entire thread was moved to YBTD.

Was that the first time they actually acknowledged the plans for the not mentioned Flushing Meadows Corona Park site falling through?