Don Garber '06-'09 report card and current contract status

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Mr. Bandwagon, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Note: Move this to general if it's not newsworthy enough yet.)

According to this article from back in 2006, Don's current contract as league commish is up at the end of 2009.

So....

• How has Don done over the last 3.5 to 4 years?
    • Should MLS keep him on, and if so, what kind of an offer should they make him?
    • Who else would make a good commissioner in the event he decides to move on?
    Discuss! :)

2. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think he's been fantastic, has a good plan on where this leagues going, and is making good strides to get it there. I'd like to see him on for another 5 years. I want to see how the league goes after the current rapid expansion cools off and maybe we need a new direction after that.

3. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts:

1) The league has continued to do fantastic, especially regarding expansion, increased TV programming and ratings, increased sponsorships, more soccer-specific stadia, and (perhaps most timely) hanging in there during a once-in-a-generation economic downturn.

2) Pay the man.

3) Hmmmm. Former deputy commish and current Arsenal exec Ivan Gazidis is a possibility (someday). Current MLS/SUM execs Mark Abbott or Douglas Quinn? USSF/Revs Exec Sunil Gulati? Seattle GM Adrian Hanauer? Someone from outside of soccer entirely?

It's interesting to consider when at the same time MLS is negotiating a new extended bargaining agreement with the players union. Who is most responsible for MLS' success? The owners? The players? The boss?

4. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Ivan Gazidis would be great !

5. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he does a good job and should be paid well....best thing has he has done is not listen to the nutcases on this website on how to run the league..

7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More to the point, between his handling of the league and the creation of SUM, which was entirely his doing, it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks. The people he works for love him to death and he'll have this job for a long, long time.

8. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Don Garber is the man!

[​IMG]

9. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What really impressed me is that he arrived without much soccer knowledge (I believe his background is in grid iron football), and yet did far more than the first commissioner to reach out to the adult/hardcore (whatever you want to call it) soccer fan. Of course he has made mistakes, but overall I believe he has done a very good job. As Bill said, his contract will be renewed, deservedly so.

If its true that his contract and the unions collective bargaining agreement are both up for renegotiation, this off-season could become very complicated and intriguing.

10. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe you wrote nutcases when you meant "total losers who live in their mom's basement".

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pay the man

12. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These boards weren't nearly as popular 10 years ago, and it was pretty gloomy around here. 1998 WC was a disaster, MLS was on life support, soon to contract, with a game unrecognizable to most of the rest of the world.

Just as a reminder, this is where we were 10 years ago:

12 teams
    2 teams contracted shortly after for a total of 10
    1 SSS
    Massive debt
    games on TV were paid infomercials
    Attendance--14,282 league average (went down to 13,756 in 2000)
    Shoot out, clock going down, etc, etc

We are now, just 10 years later
    16 teams
    2 expansion teams in 2 years for a total of 18
    10 teams in SSS next year (most of remaining 6 have decent lease agreements)
    We get paid by more than one tv station to broadcast our games
    A team averaging 30,000+
    average attendance around 16,000
    The most iconic player of his generation playing here
    SUM, probably the most profitable arm of MLS
    and many more I haven't listed

If you would have told any of us "old timers" 10 years ago that the league would be in the shape it's in now, we would have called you crazy and said we were more likely to beat the #1 ranked team in the world in a tournament.

Mr. Garber is worth every penny he gets paid. Give the man a (sizeable) raise.

13. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All this. Garber is the best commissioner in American sports, hands down. My big worry is that the NBA will make him an offer he can't refuse when Stern is finally forced out (and if you've seen the empty seats this week, you know that's coming soon.)

14. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Or until he gets hired away by the NHL. Bettman's contract is up in 18 months.

15. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you guys suck for bringing this up. Garber rulez and should stay in MLS until he retires!!

16. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think most any other people would have taken this job and the league would have perished. He has performed miraculously. It all started with good o'le marketing hype, 1/2 truths and a glass half full attitude. Kudos for Don for having the Moxie to make the rain!!!!

17. Boston Red

Boston Red Red Card

Aug 13, 2007
    BOSTON
    ...and that is where you fail

18. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An offer from the NBA could definitely lure Garber away. With all the talk about the NBA trying to penetrate the Euro market, I could see them going after Garber who had experience working on NFL Europe. The NBA commish job offers prestige and big money.

However, the NHL? Unless the money they offered him was huge, no way. MLS has WAY more potential upside than the NHL. If MLS continues on its current path, it will take overtake the NHL in money, prestige and stature. At this point, Garber is probably thinking not only about money, but also legacy and with MLS he can leave a better legacy than he ever could with the NHL.

19. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don had done a lot of great things in his tenor. Other than forgetting the Quakes GM name when giving him the 2003 MLS Cup and letting AEG move the Quakes, I have had no problems with him. :cool:

Sign him up!

20. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    That's where you lost the plot. Out of any sport NHL is the most likely to expand to Europe first. Hockey is still more popular than basketball in Europe and that is only rising. Even with NHL barely being mentioned as one of the big 4 team sports, they still make almost 20 x the revenues as MLS currently and that isn't going to change anytime soon. Besides, I'm guessing that NBA and NHL can pay far, far more.

21. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your other points are valid, if arguable, but how, exactly, does hockey's already-established popularity in Europe translate into upside for the NHL as a league? There are clubs there already, so (as the NBA is starting to finally realize) it's not like expanding the league with league clubs into Europe is going to be easy, or even desirable.

The more popular the sport becomes in Europe, the stronger the European clubs become, and the less likely it is that the NHL can get a competitive foothold there. I just don't see it happening.

I completely agree that MLS has a whole lot more upside than the NHL, and this is coming from a rabid hockey fan.

So, to get back on topic, pay the man. He's worth much more to MLS than he is to the NHL, no matter how much he could make there.

22. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Garber has done a tremendous job for MLS. His creation of SUM probably saved the league. More importantly, the USA is no longer looked at as a laughingstock in terms of a footballing nation. If someone told me when The Don was hired that in 10 years MLS would have been profitable, I probably would have only stopped laughing about 5 minutes ago. A ton of stuff went right for The Don, but he forged opportunities where there wasn't any, and got the most out of every one. As for him jumping ship, I don't see it happening. I'm sure there is a certain arrogant streak that tells him that there isn't anyone who can do the job better than he can, and it's not arrogance if you can back it up. Pay him, but let his pay increase percentage be similar to the salary cap increase of the new CBA. He can probably score credibility points with the Association if he gets the same raise they do.

23. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did forget to mention that, 10 years ago, every team in the league was owned by 3 guys. Today, with one possible exception I think? every team has its own owner. That in and of itself was huge.

24. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt the NHL expands to Europe. What is more likely is the KHL (or whatever they call it now a days) enters into a true partnership with the NHL so you basically end up with the NHL, and a continental European league that work together and eventually play for a single world championship. But outright euro expansion from the NHL I don't think so.

NBA Europe is an intriguing idea, but how much would the euro basketball teams fight this? Can you see Barcelona getting a team in NBA Europe and Barca not being involved?

Garber is in a really good position where he is. The NBA is a mess that is only going to get messier (I believe David Stern lost his mind during the lockout year and never recovered). The NHL is a solid though unspectacular league, if they could get back to their core markets it would be better. Some sunbelt locales worked, others not so much.

If the US is awarded WC2022 the impact to MLS could be what it takes to really push MLS permanently into the American sporting lexicon. Sure the average American knows what soccer is, but how many are aware of let alone pay attention to MLS? Do you think Garber would pass on that opportunity?

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    2 1/2 years isn't "shortly".

Garber took over during the 1999 season. The first thing he did was make MLS Cup 99 the first official MLS game where the time was kept on the field.

Miami and Tampa played two full seasons during Garber's tenure. There was apparently some call for contraction after the 2000 season due to the increasing financial hangover from the start of the league, mainly the weight of carrying three league owned teams, as well as the under-capitalization of the Miami team. Several high profile suitors had kicked the tires of both Tampa and San Jose and walked away. Additionally, the original owners of New York, DC, and Los Angeles all left the league.

Garber gets full marks for his part in helping the MLS BOG make the hard choices necessary to put the league's financial house in order.