AllWright AllWright AllWright : Haji moving to the Coventry

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Dec 17, 2013.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the up-and-up!

2. SloterHaus

SloterHaus Member

Dec 14, 2018
    VVV Venlo and Schalke 04 in talks about Haji Wright

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go young man! Go! Much better than being loaned to a 3Liga. I hope this works out. Interesting to note, the VVV manager was an assistant in Colukbus for a year or two.

SloterHaus and Suyuntuy repped this.
  4. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I defer to our Dutch contingent, but VVV does look a bit thin up top with the forwards roster being recent transfers... he would have the chance to make an impression and be a starter.

5. He will get nr 7 on his shirt it is said.

6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now official.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  7. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    VVV is confirming this morning that Wright has joined the club, looks like on a free.

8. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Schalke has been fairly active so far this offseason. No really big money transfers either in or out. They've brought in a center back and a left winger for $32M, and netted about $15M selling a striker and loaning a goalie. All the other movement is a combination of loans and free transfers, including one promotion from the second team. This looks like a fairly modest approach to solidifying the squad. They have gotten younger as a result of the player movements in and out, including the signing of Ozan Kabak, a 19 year-old Turkish center back from Stuttgart. One would hope there's enough veteran leadership to lift the club, as blooding a young squad can have rough patches, especially at the start. It is telling that Wright did not fit into this revamp. VVV Venlo is as much as anything a fresh start for a still young striker, but he's old enough not to waste anymore time shuttling between first and second teams.

9. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Overall this seems like a great move for Haji. If he can’t succeed here then he probably can’t make it anywhere. I’m rooting for him but he’s got to show some of the ability that made him unstoppable when he was 18.

TxEx, Gacm32 and adam tash repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I know folks hate my guts for saying stuff like this, but here it goes: although the transfer sounds good to me, even though Zelalem failed there, Wright was let go on a free with one year left of his Schalke contract, and the contract he's got is for only one year.

In short: Schalke didn't value him at all, wanted to unload his salary ASAP, and Venlo didn't have enough confidence in him to give him but the minimum contract possible.

He's going to have a very short leash.

Thundering165 repped this.
  11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #2286 Ger90, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    “Haji is an excellent player who will give our vanguard even more body. Speed, duel power and very focused,” Venlo technical director Stan Valckx said. “We are happy and grateful that we came out with Schalke and that this player opted for our club, because I am convinced that he is an added value for our selection with his input and his commitment.

VVV Venlo finished 12th in the Eredivisie last season, sitting eight points clear of the relegation zone. Wright is the first American at the club since Gedion Zelalem spent a loan spell with Venlo in 2017.

https://sbisoccer.com/2019/07/haji-...e=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've gotta be honest, I'm surprised he landed at a club this good. He looked so far off the pace in most of his Schalke appearances last season that I didn't really expect him to play top-flight football in a decent league again in his career.

So, here's to you hopefully proving me wrong, Haji. Best of luck!

Sombrerito, SCSAutism, DHC1 and 5 others repped this.
  15. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    guy has the tools but his work rate is terrible, its been his problem since he was 17. Can put the ball in the net but just doesnt have the attitude to be a top flight guy. I expect him in the MLS in a few years but id love for him to get a change of scenery and make the best of it...

Pegasus repped this.
  16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Wright at Venlo, Career in Limburg?

17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #2292 ArsenalMetro, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    I think of this commercial every time I read Haji's name:

So I'm suggesting: Show me what you got, Haji: Wright at VVV-Venlo (Netherlands)

18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well......VVV only gave him a 1+1 deal so it's not like they were licking their chops to get Haji thinking he is going to be the savior. It's a "prove it" deal. With that said, I think he will get plenty of opportunities to prove it. That's exactly what I want to see. The jury is still out with me on Haji. Schalke were shit last season. No one looked worth a shit. So naturally, it impacted Haji in his limited time. That's why the jury is still out. Big year for the kid. It's a make or break it a lot of ways.

TxEx, Gacm32 and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Haji Wright's Career Sputters, at V ...V ... V ... Venlo!

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For sure. I didn't expect that opportunity to be in the Eredivisie though, even if VVV is a pretty small club. I'm very pleasantly surprised.

21. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    That makes me long for the day when MLS doesn't just accept back every Yank who gets shat out the bottom end of European leagues.

22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We're already near or at that point. Someone like Jerome Kiesewetter is playing in El Paso rather than Houston, but he would have been a lock starter in MLS like 7 years ago.

Anyway, American citizens who bomb out of Europe are always going to have a place in MLS so long as there are restrictions on international players, because an American is much more valuable than a foreigner of equivalent skill.

Thundering165 repped this.
  23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    What the ffff..? Wright at VVV
    VVV for Victory: Does Haji have the Wright stuff?

*really the Limburg pun will be the best ones here.

24. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Does Haji posses an EU passport, or is he getting paid a foreign player's salary at VVV? Nearly €400k is a big chunk of change to pay someone to "prove it".

25. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen

*Lots of Haji tweets on the VVV twitter

UniversalAdvice, TxEx, Gacm32 and 2 others repped this.