AllWright AllWright AllWright : Haji moving to the Coventry

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Dec 17, 2013.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So how is he scoring goals now? I understand that its reasonable to believe someone his size would be as good as he is at his age because of his physical advantage, but a lot of his goals are from things like positioning, movement, anticipation and things like that.

From what I've seen, his main problems are over dribbling and staying involved in his each game. Sometimes he seems to go quiet for large stretches of games.

2. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point that SuperDave was making is that Zardes' positioning (and, hence, his improved goal-scoring) comes from having a good "soccer brain"--hence the importance of such an attribute (as vague as it is) for a goal-scorer just the same as for a playmaker.

3. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Well he is second on the team in assists and I've seen him make several very nice plays out on the wing as a play maker. In a central role he struggles with that aspect of his game though.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <plonk>

Gerardo Silva and Winoman repped this.
  5. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    He's able to run past markers so easy if someone makes a run there's a good chance of a tap in.

Personally I prefer Zlatan to Adebayor.

6. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His soccer brain is fine.....he scores a lot of goals against the top teams in the world, its not like every one of his goals is against T&T.....he dominates every team....we havent seen a forward as good as him come out of the NT setup in some time....Guys like Jozy and Juan were literally dominating everyone physically....this kid is doing it with nice moves and being in the right place....which is all he has to do when you have the best prospect in our youth ranks feeding you the ball....

7. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only on BS. The logic you run into around here at times. :ROFLMAO:

A set of random quotes in which two coaches don't acknowledge one specific trait while praising two other specific traits possessed by a promising 17 year old prospect, and to some of you, it's logical to conclude that said player is without the one trait (amongst numerous others) that's gone unmentioned.

Hilarious that Zardes was then sighted as an example of a forward with a good soccer brain. Take a look at what the general consensus was regarding his soccer brain on here a year ago. Oh snap, he improved.

But this kid Haji no he's slave to a predetermined narrative we've all heard before. His development is over, surely he won't possibly gain this soccer brain that we're only certain he does not have because it wasn't mentioned in a random interview. Btw I'd love to hear which U.S. developement movie is a carbon copy of Haji's. Even if Haji was dumb as rocks some of you are just greedy. 6 years ago would have been happy with an exceptional athlete who also had technical ability and skill.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree with most of this. He really does seem like the best attacking prospect out of the U-17 residency program in a long time. I know some people think Pulisic is the best prospect of the current U-17 program, but I feel like Haji has the highest ceiling of any player to ever play in the program.

The whole "what if our best athletes played soccer discussion" is one that I think is in play with Haji because he is one of those incredible NFL or NBA type athletes with very good soccer skills. He's a legitimate 6'4 and incredibly fast and athletic at age 16. I don't see him at all similar to Koroma or Agbossoumonde who were mostly so dominant because of their physical skills. Haji doesn't even dominate by having long balls hit to him and then outmuscling and outrunning everyone. He's at his best running at defenders with his skill and athleticism from the wing and also in the box where he has very good instincts. He seems to score a lot of those poacher type goals, but he also has terrific skill.

If Haji is able to combine his elite athleticism with his tremendous skill and goal scoring ability, he really should become a very good player.

9. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i agree on Haji, but Pulisic is the man....if the guy keeps progressing the sky is the limit.....he is a very rangy 10, guy can combo out on the wing, or he can move forward into the 9 if need be...guys has some great vision and has excellent touch that is rarely seen in US players, and his execution in the box is money.....reminds me a lot of landon....

Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree. I just think Wright has the higher ceiling.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He still has a year until he can go to Europe. Perhaps a one season contract?

12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he's 17, and playing for the Cosmos is better than not playing for anyone currently. He's not ready for MLS.

Because it's the NASL and doesn't operate as MLS does, it's completely plausible he signs a 1 yr deal just so he can play competitively at 17/18, then move on a year later.

This is due to the gap in development. Given our gap in development, it's not a bad option for 17 yr olds looking to move to Europe at 18 to sign with NASL for a year, especially since MLS won't sign 1 yr deals.. Would have been better for Flores too.

It's not like he's going to sign a 4 yr deal with them as he would have to with LAG.

wixson7 repped this.
  13. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Solid post. This kid is no where near ready for prime time. Consistent playing time in a lower league is exactly what he needs.

14. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully, the Cosmos are as lenient with their contracts as some here are suggesting.

15. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    How about signing a 4 yr deal when he was a 15/16 yr old and working through LAG 18's and USL. Its about long term goals and if he's not ready for MLS at 17 what does that say about his ability to start out with Schalke or any top European team at age 18 and be up to speed to compete for first team football? Not much. He's already way behind top German prospects and will be further behind at age 18 and thinks he can catch up with 18 yrs of being behind. Our top prospects have to become humble and see if they can work to start in MLS and not a top team in the world. Its about path to first team football and not the what youth team you play for in Europe.

wixson7 and bballshawn repped this.
  16. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Exactly, imo i think starting at a lower league when youre younger getting FT minutes is better. Its about how hard you work also. work your ass of you will be good.

SUDano repped this.
  17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is it a gap in development? He was free to sign a contract in MLS the entire time and he chose not to. He hurt his own development due to poor choices by him, his folks and his management team. This is a good move for him, but to blame this situation on some hazy "gap" created by an outside source is wrong.

18. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Self induced gap in development. I don't know why top prospects are so afraid to sign with MLS, just to wait to sign with a top European club 3-4 yrs down the line.

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait until he's with Schalke and starts going up against Gale Agbossoumonde!

21. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    on the bright side every game is on Watch ESPN :)

does he get to say in this forum? Or does he get to be in the youth national teams section? or neither

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It ultimately comes down to money. When a player isn't willing to continue with a youth team (for free) because he and his family are concerned about injury (or his future *new* club overseas doesn't want him there) and there's no upside to staying in the local club (at least as they see it), signing a short-term deal with an easy out may be the best option.

I wonder if the USSF "career advisor" was behind this signing? Players in this somewhat self-created limbo are worrying to the organization. If MLS can't sign them, they need to be somewhere getting playing time.

23. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    It seems to be short sighted. Haji Wright knew he was going to pursue professional soccer at age 15-16. Even at 50K a year for 3-4 years is 150K-200K he doesn't have in the bank to hold out for making money only when he's older. LAG at age 15-16 is better than Cosmos at 17-18. Its superficially a better option. Just offering another perspective where MLS at a young age may be a better soccer option while putting alittle money in the pocket. Do we have any idea what prospects like C.Pulisic and H.Wright get as teenagers from Bundesliga Power clubs? Would be interesting to know facts than to guess.

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the one thing that prospects fear is that MLS won't let them go when *they* think they are ready.

And there's that hesitancy about committing to the pro ranks too early if it costs you NCAA eligibility.