AllWright AllWright AllWright : Haji moving to the Coventry

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Dec 17, 2013.

1. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The remaining Eredivisie season was cancelled yesterday. VVV-Venlo were 13th in the table at the time of cancellation.

Wright's final 2019/2020 stats are 1 assist in 1,409 minutes in the Eredivisie (22 games, 16 starts); a goal in a 31 minute substitute appearance in the KNVB Cup (VVV-Venlo were eliminated in the first round); and 5 goals in 535 minutes (6 starts) with the VVV-Venlo U-21s in the Eredivisie reserve league and preliminary round.

freisland repped this.
  2. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so are they just going to relegate the teams in the relegation zones if leagues are cancelled without completion?

seems unfair (teams expecting a full season to fight it out had plans in place under that reality)...but only logical thing. unless just no relegation this year....but that would be unfair for teams that wouldve been promoted

3. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2728 autobus39, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    The Dutch Federation cancelled promotion and relegation between the Eredivisie and Eerste Divisie this year and are also not declaring an Eredivisie champion. The Scottish second through fourth tiers determined promotion and relegation based on the table at the time of abandonment (the Scottish Premeirship has not been cancelled yet and there is talk of expanding the Premiership by 2 teams in 2020-21 and there is currently talk of lower division restructuring as well). Those are the leagues that have cancelled their remaining season and made a determination on promotion and relegation that I am aware of (besides the Mexican Ascenso MX which is making more far reaching changes).

UniversalAdvice and adam tash repped this.
  4. SloterHaus

SloterHaus Member

Dec 14, 2018

sakibomb523, Winoman, BostonRed and 2 others repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Can we Wright him off now?

6. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were we waiting?

The Irish Rover repped this.
  7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Meanwhile, in other breaking news, water is still wet . . .

8. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I see him as an Agudelo type who has technical ability and some athleticism but lacks the goal scoring edge a striker needs. He’s have been an MLS starter 5 years ago but does any team need his skill set right now?

9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Who was MLS starter?

10. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I mean he would have been. I think the league has moved beyond him now.

11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That's a total guess.

12. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Well yes, it’s an opinion. Would have thought that was obvious.

13. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Bump. Any chance of Haji joining MLS? Does he have a European passport? I could see him ending up in Belgium or Denmark/Sweden.

taylor repped this.
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I can see some journo saying he's going to Arsenal next season as clickbait and most folks here believing him.

ttrevett repped this.
  15. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    you just love making stuff up. First, Williams and now this.

16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    They are watching him.

17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    MLS? Why would they take him? He snubbed them a few years back and, in any case, there are plenty of better players out there.

As for a Euro passport, unless he has an Irish/Italia/Danish grandfather somewhere he's not eligible on ancestry grounds and hasn't been in Germany long enough even for permanent residency. I could see him in Belgium or Scandinavia, but in their second tiers. He's shown nothing that suggests he has what it takes mentally to play at a higher level.

18. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I've mentioned, the Galaxy passed on him in 2019 (although his agent was apparently asking for a lot. Maybe if he came down quite a bit, but he isn't going to play much at LAG).

19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree with your general tone, but I could see someone like the Red Bulls taking a flyer on him if he's cheap enough. Domestic, no good strikers already at the club, and a USL team to give him competitive reps if he isn't getting enough time with the first team.

If an offer from a team like that came in, Haji and his team should jump on it, because his stock is submerged in a flooded basement right now.

20. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Haji plays over Brian White who had 9 goals in 1368 minutes last year (a productive ratio). Even Barlow had 4 goals in 690 minutes. They're not BWP but it's not like the Red Bull forwards didn't produce in 2019 - and neither are foreign.

The Irish Rover and m vann repped this.
  21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #2746 ArsenalMetro, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    This is a little off-topic, but while that ratio was good, it is entirely unsustainable. White had 9 goals last season, yes, but he did it on 12 shots on target. No one's keeping up that kind of ratio for an extended period of time.

Pre-pandemic, my biggest concern about the Red Bulls was the inevitable mean reversion of their strikers. So when the goals dry up, they're going to need to look elsewhere, and since they're cheap, a young American with European experience on a free transfer might be appealing.

My general point was that a club in a situation like New York's might find him appealing. I'm just most familiar with them, so I used them as an example - I can't really speak to other teams.

Edit: also, if those Ivan Toney rumors are accurate (you would certainly know better than I would), then they're out shopping for a striker already.

22. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #2747 Ceres, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Haji Wright has signed a 2-year contract with Danish Cup Winners 2019-20 SønderjyskE, so he could be playing Europa League qualifiers for SønderjyskE on 24. September. ... and at home against FC Midtjylland on September 11 in their first game of the 2020-21 season

https://www.soenderjyske.dk/fodbold/amerikansk-angriber-til-soenderjyske/

https://www.bold.dk/fodbold/danmark/3f-superliga/2020-2021/
    https://www.bold.dk/fodbold/danmark/3f-superliga/

An interview with Haji Wright from the official SønderjyskE website :

Deeneaus, sakibomb523, Hobo and 10 others repped this.
  23. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #2748 Ceres, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    The dutch league clubs have been badly struck by a Coronavirus crisis that has been much more "kind" to Denmark and the Danish clubs, so I can understand why he is one of many players not getting their contracts extended in the parts of Europe that have suffered the most and now suffer financially.

We are also going to see a huge drop in transfer fees, not only because of present financial worries, but also because it could seem that a second wave of Coronavirus may be on it's way in some European countries, and the Netherlands are right next to Belgium that has the highest number of Corona-related deaths per capita in the World (not counting tiny San Marino that only has a population of 34,000).

The Netherlands are also fairly high on the list and has the disadvantage of being the European country with the 10th largest population, but with by far the largest population density (of the European countries with a population of more than 500,000). So you will probably see lots of European and dutch club cut their losses and not investing as much money on transfers, not knowing how the 2020-21 season is going start out or end up.

The Danish Superliga has been on track since late May and also with a fair amount of people in the stands in July, so there is not so much of a worry here about the season to come or about signing players. In fact, I think Danish clubs are going to take advantage of a slow European market with lots of players being worried about how much they are going to play, if they will be getting paid and about not getting their contracts extended.

ChicagoVT and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  24. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Who was the last player in Danish league to play (and have an impact) for USMNT? Not that many surprisingly. Parkhurst is the only good player for national team while playing in Denmark. Though Amon could become good one day. Hamid only lasted about 7 months in Denmark as a back-up before coming back to MLS.

So I'm saying moving to Denmark doesn't bode well for Wright's national team changes, unless he uses it as a stepping stone to a better league (e.g., Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, or MLS).

25. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Clarence Goodson, too.

I feel like Denmark (and Scandinavia generally) has fallen off as a destination for upwardly mobile Americans as a result of MLS salaries drastically improving over the last 5-7 years.

tomásbernal repped this.