Domestic Leagues 2023-2024 Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Aug 14, 2023.

1. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Bayern Munich v Darmstadt had three DOGSO reds in the first half. Two were changed from PK-yellow on review. All three were on the fringe of the penalty area.

Two for Darmstadt, one for Bayern.

2. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I have to go back and watch again, but upon first view without replays, they all looked like YCs.

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They all seemed clear and unambiguous red cards to me. What would be the argument(s) for YC?

djmtxref repped this.
  4. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Situation in Poland caused a decent amount of controversy. GK comes out, gets the ball but also basically knocks out the attacker. Referee gives a PK + yellow for reckless. Lots of controversy and many fans and "experts" claiming that it's ridiculous. One of the Poland's referee chiefs comes out and praises and defends the referee saying it couldn't be anything else. I wonder if this would be given in England...?

The situation is at 1:25 of the video.

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  5. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    A bit of a rough landing for Alejandro Hernández Hernández in today's Celta vs Sevilla match. VAR was Eduardo Prieto Iglesias. From 9:50 in the ESPN highlights.

Video taken from the stands shows Celta captain Iago Aspas knocking over the VAR monitor after the match:

dadman and ShayG repped this.
  6. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juventus-Cagliari. 2nd Juve goal results in six Cagliari players surrounding the official. They were mad about offside not being called even though the non call was absolutely correct (Juve player in an offside position, but not impacting play or touching the ball.) Referee cards one Cagliari player, but had a case to caution 2-3 more players as they continued to surround him heading up the field.

7. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Just watched it on Paramount+. That's pretty bad. Good on the yellow.

Surely they know that every goal is checked?

dadman repped this.
  8. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Two red cards (both for SFP) after OFR in the 29' and 85' by Rwandan referee Salima Mukansanga (World Cup referee) in today's CAF Women's Champions League fixture. Mauritanian referee Maria Rivet was VAR.

The 1st SFP was a penalty scored in the 31st minute for a foul in the 23rd minute via VAR.
    • 1st Red (Incident: 22:20, Monitor: 25:23, Card: 28:07)
    • 2nd Red (Incident: 81:09, Monitor: 82:23, Card: 84:02)

What strikes as odd is how VAR is showing the images on the 2nd one. Guess I'm just spoiled with MLS VAR doing it but the best angle shown in the 2nd SFP is shown to Salima as she's walking away when she's already made her decision (albeit the correct one) from inferior angles.

9. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    Yeah, they might have had a case for interfering with an opponent if the offside player wasn't in the goal and the defender there didn't have the goalpoast blocking him.

These professional leagues have had VAR for years at this point. Every goal is checked for both offside and APP fouls. Potential RC SFP upgrade challenges get checked. Potential VC off the ball gets checked. And yet they still crowd the refere on these situations. And not only that, but surrounding the center referee about an assistant referee's decision.

10. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, the center would have the call about whether a player is interfering with play in a situation like this. It was absolutely the correct call, but the AR likely would not have the primary call regarding involvement.

I’m watching the Houston-Salt Lake game replay right now after coaching a referee crew in a U19 game tonight. First Houston goal had a player in an offside position, but not involved with play. The AR stood at the corner flag and then delayed running up the touch line. It was clear the AR and the center were conferring before the AR gave the goal signal.

11. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Both were correct.
    Why waste more time asking for more angles if you're certain?

12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I th8nk some of it just the gamesmanship of trying to make sure the VAR knows they think it should be reversed, as well as taking up time to make sure the VAR has time. Totally unnecessary, but I think that is part of what is going on.

13. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    I was asking about the procedure more than anything.

14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
  15. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    More:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...orced-block-doors-stop-getting-officials.html

"Taking on title-chasing Gremio away from home, Corinthians were incensed when they were not given a penalty inside the opening 10 minutes after their attacker appeared to be hauled down in the box by an opposing defender.

The referee, Rodrigo Pereira de Lima, waved play on with the ball rolling through to the Gremio goalkeeper. He proceeded to throw the ball out to his team-mate, and Corinthians defender Bruno Mendez came flying in with a challenge, missing the ball and taking out his opponent completely.

Initially, Lima brandished a yellow card, while the Corinthians players complained about him denying them a penalty. However, VAR then told him that the tackle required a second look, and after assessing it on the pitchside monitor he changed his decision and upgraded to a red card.

The Corinthians players could hardly believe the decision, and some of their staff, including director of football and ex-player Alessandro Nunes, were having none of it.
    "

Hopefully, suspensions are coming.

dadman and ilyazhito repped this.
  16. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
  17. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    If she had issued a yellow card, it would have saved her the problem of giving one for dissent.

ShayG repped this.
  18. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Why would she issue a yellow? She didn't see anything wrong as she allowed the goal to stand.
    WOW, just wow.

19. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Yikes. I quickly watched it on my phone and missed the goal signal and assumed it was the team who headed it away from the keeper who was arguing.

20. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0xbpow3gbj2c1.jpg

I love this image. Not only is the player offside by a pixel but the FIFA 03 crowd with a handful of models is hilarious. And then it's all sponsored by a Crypto company. It's the perfect 2023 football image.

21. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    IASocFan repped this.
  22. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Hard to believe when VAR was first introduced that it would take what 5-6 years for Sergio Ramos to receive a red card via VAR?

Who would have guessed that on VAR bingo?

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  23. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    https://www.kicker.de/kreuzbandriss-bestaetigt-brych-faellt-lange-aus-981038/artikel

Felix Brych out after ACL tear on his record-equalizing game against Wolfgang Stark's record in appearances (344 games).

In his latest game, EINTRACHT FRANKFURT VS. STUTTGART, around the 32nd minute, he hopped after running into the penalty area signaling he needed treatment. On 33:48 game time, you can see the replay of the injury.

During HT, the 4th Official, Patrick Schwengers (28 years old) made his Bundesliga debut and no 4th Official was present. So they went back to the basics and had AR1 do the substitutes and a Stuttgart official do the substitution board.

Gave one yellow (90+5) for kicking the ball away during throw-in.

Get well soon, Felix.

StarTime, IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  24. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that it was on an incident where he was already sent off. And that the argument for a clear SFP card is... weak? I mean, mode of contact sure but he barely touches him and there's not much force in it after being in the slide for that long. Oh, and that I think it's technically DOGSO if it is a foul, which didn't get examined.

No one really covering themselves in glory on that one, other than the AR or other on-field official who finally got the referee to blow the whistle, I suppose.

25. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    I'm pretty sure it was the AR. According to the match report, Jesús Navas went over to him to complain about the call and got sent off for his efforts. Apparently the president of Sevilla FC was waiting outside the referees' locker room and complained to the referee about the call as well.

MassachusettsRef repped this.