Domanski-Lyfors likely to coach Chinese WNT

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by defensewins, Mar 24, 2007.

1. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    "Sweden's Marika Domanski-Lyfors is set to become the next coach of the Chinese national women's soccer squad if imminent talks in Beijing go well, a state press report said Saturday.
    "There is no concrete time set but I will definitely soon be in Beijing for face-to-face negotiations," the Beijing Morning Post quoted Domanski-Lyfors as saying.

"So far my discussions with the China Football Association have been really good and everything up until now has gone really smoothly."

The FIFA Women's World Cup starts in six months and whoever is the women's coach will be under huge pressure after Chinese sport officials set the squad a minimum target of a semi-final finish.

"I was under a lot of pressure when I coached Sweden to the finals of the last World Cup, so I know I can clearly face it all," Domanski-Lyfors said."

http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/index/0,2442,134274,00.html?comp=WF&year=2007&articleid=134274

2. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
  3. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Swedish media now reports that Pia Sundhage has got an offer to be the assisting coach for China WNT, and she is considering it.

4. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I'd be curious to know what sort of financial compensation she has been offered.

It woud take a minor miracle for the squad that China just sent to Portugal to make the World Cup semi-finals. A much more realistic goal would be to just advance past group play to the quarterfinals.

In any event, there probably should be some bonus clause in her contract that would triple her salary if Domanski-Lyfors is somehow able to take China to the WC semis.

5. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    The sum that has been mentioned in Swedish media converts to something like US$ 350,000 a year for Domanski. Sundhage said her wage is "good" and when asked if she could be more precise, she said "very good".

6. secretcode

secretcode New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    USA
    Oh. My. God. I don't know if anyone else finds this news
    a little stunning, but I do. It's got to be an enoyable challenge,
    coaching an entirely new team, but it has to also be a little
    weird to coach against your old team?

Does anyone know what she made when she coached the
    Swedish team? I am assuming nothing as high as $350,000!

7. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Perhaps a little the first time, but not really.

Don't know what she earned but I would be suprised if any coach (even on the men side) working in Sweden made even half of that. NB! Sven-Göran Eriksson hasn't been working in Sweden for quite a while now.

By the way, I get it to 5 of 16 WWC team having Scandinavian coaches now (China, Canada and of course Sweden, Norway & Denmark)

8. donzerly

donzerly New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Toronto
    I don't agree.

China may very well be meeting Canada in the Quarterfinal and that's practically a free pass into the semi-final. Domanski's team just beat Canada twice in less than a week.

9. sinclairFan

sinclairFan New Member

Oct 27, 2005
    Ont, Canada
    That same statement was probably made in 2003 as well.