'Dolo

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by kinstlinger, Nov 24, 2004.

1. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    Steve Cherundolo played in 6 matches in 2004; none since the El Salvador match at the Big Razor.

I bring this up b/c I find it interesting that a young American who is playing (and playing well) at the 1B level isn't considered an instant lineup inclusion.

I know that Bruce likes taller defenders, which makes 100% sense, and that Boca, Gibbs, Pope, etc. might get the call over Steven.

Not that I'm reading too much into it, but as things progress and our player pool gets deeper, this will be an emerging dynamic for Yanks Abroad - just b/c they're American and playing in one of Europe's better leagues, they won't be considered 'automatic'.

Maybe SC represents the most logical example of this.

It's a long ways since the day when Sampson found a player in the French First Division who once ate a Big Mac, and got him on the WC98 roster.

2. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Like Richie Williams before him, Frankie Hejduk has received the pictures of Bruce.

3. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Personally, I think this is the biggest travesty on the team today. Frankie getting time over Dolo is a joke. Dolo's just flat out a better player. People wanna complain about his size, but Frankie's no giant either and the Bundesliga is one of the more physical leagues in Europe and Dolo does just fine over there week in and week out.

I really do love Frankie's attitude and his physical conditioning, but he is just so limited skill wise that watching him get starts over a solid guy like Dolo makes me cringe everytime Frankie sends another ball aimlessly over the end line.

I think the time is rapidly approaching when just starting for a big four team isn't enough to make you a lock for the US, but for now, that's pretty much not the case, especially in a position that's not one of the team's strong spots.

4. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    my read of the cherundolo matter is arena knew he could get by with hejduk in the semis, and a physical albright presence was a good choice for the boyz...

cherundolo will be back for the feb 9 match....

5. papa surf

papa surf New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Baltimore
    Yes this is strange, unless BA has already pegged him to be there and will commit to him when the Bruce sees to it. If need not ........I quit.

6. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    I have never understood why Bruce plays Frankie over 'Dolo. The ONLY thing Frankie does better is run. He can run all day; we all know that. But in every other aspect of the game, 'Dolo is better. I just don't get it. Come on Bruce...wake up!

7. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    'Dolo actually has some offensive upside. He's quick; likes to start the ball upfield.

8. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he's also a good defender. He's not just a good crosser. I think he's gotten past the occasional brain farts that people used to complain about. The only legitimate problem is his height and how that hurts him when it comes to defending crosses at the far post. Well if that is the only reason that Frankie or anybody we have starts over Cherundolo then I think that is ridiculous. Between the goal keeper, two centerbacks, and the left back, defending crosses that go to the far post should not be that big of a problem.

Besides, winning high balls isn't all about height. It's about timing and jumping too.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It's about positioning and not getting pushed around as well.

But I agree with the posters who believe that 'Dolo will be called when the chips are down.

10. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    Dolo will be back for the Hex till were safe, and he'll definitely be with the team for '06. I'm not personally too worried about it. Frankie needs all the experience he can get. Perhaps by 06 he'll have learned to calm down and not be such a scary (in a bad way) player.

11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Dolo has reached a new level and will show it in this hex.

12. Justin Cedar

Justin Cedar New Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Edwardsville,IL/STL

I think Adam's got it right here.
    I would be very suprised if he wasn't on the starting 11 in Germany.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to be clear, I think it's absolutely nuts that Steve isn't an automatic choice. But in Bruce's defense....

When playing those road qualifiers in Jamaica and Panama, he's got to consider stamina. His players aren't used to the tropical heat/humidity combination. If you start Hejduk, then that's one position you know you'll have a fit player in minute 85. That's one less stamina headache.

I wouldn't do it, hell no. But I see why Bruce would.

As for Albright, it was a meaningless, midweek game, and, frankly, Albright might actually be preferrable to Dolo against this one particular opponent.

14. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I second this (or third if someone beats me to the 2nd).
    I think Cherundolo will be back in the mix for the more important matches.

15. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Every time I watch Frankie play on TV, I cringe. Every time I watch him play in person, I can't help but admire what the guy brings to the team with his determination and effort. He's like a damned terrier out there, fighting for everything and anything for the team.

Sometimes teams need those kind of guys.

16. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    albright is breaking in
    frankie has been around
    steve is in europe
    we made it to the hex

relax

17. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But just because Frankie does this does it mean that anybody else won't?

18. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    It means nobody else does.

19. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA

And don't forget Robbie Russell is playing with Rosenborg

20. house

house Member

Dec 27, 1998
    Inver Grove Heights, Minn.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, Big Soccer boards, where logic is often smothered by impatience,,,,

Dolo will be a factor before it's all said and done. He's playing the best soccer of his career at Hannover. IIRC, he's worn the captain's armband a few times. I was watching on Fox SportsWorld when he scored a goal and was later hit so hard he was nearly knocked out and had to leave the game. Too bad he can't be a better inflence on El Chuggalino (Mathis).

Look for him to play a role in the final grouping, but I still think Reyna will be our right back in 2006...

21. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Here is steve cherundolo winning a header in yesterdays 0-0 draw against VFB Stuttgart the #3 team in the Bundasliga. That fellow must be 4'6" tall because we all know that stevie is too short to win a high ball. Let alone jump all over somebody like that.

He also managed to go all 90 minutes, however if there was over time in Germany Hannovers coach would probably wished he had signed Frankie Hejduk instead of Steve Cherundolo.

I wonder if he gave 100%???
    :rolleyes:

22. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    'Dolo for right mid!

23. PALE568

PALE568 Member

Jun 5, 2003
    mind your own.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I notice the tropical snow, which you don't see much.

25. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not snow. That's radioactive fallout.

kind of similar to the air quality in Mexico City.