Dolo: There are players in our team who do not believe that we could beat a big team

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by American40, Feb 1, 2006.

1. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Somewhere in this article:

http://epaper01.niedersachsen.com/eZeitung/2006012814316html/HAZ/

Evidently Steve says ""Wir haben viele Spieler, die nicht daran glauben, dass wir eine große Mannschaft schlagen können.".,

Which, according to another thread, translates to "There are players in our team who do not believe that we could beat a big team." Hmmmm... Wonder who? Is this a commonly held attitude, could it affect performances? Discuss. (I hate it when someone types "discuss", but I just HAD to this time. ;) )

2. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Oops, wrong forum. Doh. Can a mod move it to "News and Analysis"?

3. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He does say in German that the USMNT has got to beat either the Czechs or Italy. My German is not good enough to translate Dolo's comment about Ghana.

4. bryn

bryn Member

Nov 1, 2005
    LA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dolo: There are players in our team who do not believe that we could beat a big t

Nice interview- LD said something I think similar in the halftime interview Sunday about the players needing to believe they can beat the other teams - and did he say Mathis wants to go back to Germany?! Did that translate correctly for me?

5. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    This is interesting.

Well, DMB believes it. I'm sure Keller believes, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of the younger guys have more balls than their older counterparts.

Sometimes, too much self-awareness can be a curse.

I'm sure Heydude probably doesn't even know who's playing from game-to-game.. not unlike a Lenny Dykstra attitude.

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Re: Dolo: There are players in our team who do not believe that we could beat a big t

they can exit the team now if they believe that.

7. amesfirequakes

Sep 22, 2001
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can anyone translate it for me?

8. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dolo told further about his career in Germany in article:

"Ich habe bei 96 noch einen Vertrag bis zum Jahr 2008. Aber: In Deutschland woanders zu spielen, das kann ich mir nicht vorstellen. England wäre vielleicht mal ein Thema, das ist schon früher mein Traum gewesen, .."

what means that he has agreement with Hannover96 bis 2008. He can not imagine himself to play in another team in Germany. England would be maybe an issue, it has been always my dream ....(.sorry my english is maybe not good for translation).....

About the World Cup he told something like:
    " We need to win the games against Czechia and Italy. We can not only rely on one victory against Ghana. To advance in the group would be big success for us. But Problem is that we have many players, that don´t believe that we can beat big teams...."

IN GERMAN sounds is so:
    "Wir müssen eines der Gruppenspiele gegen Tschechien oder Italien gewinnen. An einem Sieg gegen Ghana führt auch kein Weg vorbei. Das Viertelfinale wäre für uns ein großer Erfolg. Unser Problem ist: Wir haben viele Spieler, die nicht daran glauben, dass wir eine große Mannschaft schlagen können"

It looks like Steve think that USA can beat Ghana - or that many thinks that Ghana is easier than to beat Czechs or Italy. Just my free translation. With the players he probably means players of USMNT. I was wondering if USMNT is not motivated enough.

I apologize for my horrible translatation here:)
    in German it is easier to understand for me.

your
    bltleo
    GERMANY

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

I can't even find the article - or apprently navigate that website. I see the link in the upper corner, but it doesn't go anywhere when I click it. Anyone got a better link?

10. Teleturn

Teleturn New Member

Dec 9, 2003
    Salt Lake City
    I think Claudio Reyna might be one of those. I was quite disheartened by a comment he made a while back essentially saying how the US team doesn't stack up to England's. Right or wrong. I never want to hear our captain think or express that to his teammates or the press.

11. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    does "oder" mean or or and?

12. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks a lot for the translation, it is definately good enough.

I'm not sure what to think about Cherundolo's remarks... they don't exactly come off as eloquent; saying that the USA has a pretty assured victory against one team, and that the majority of the team does not believe they can beat a strong nation.

May be just me, but, doesn't sound like the best sound bites to let loose... at least he was honest.

13. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You beat me to it. Claudio Reyna is the first and only, really, player that came to my mind. Just judging by many comments I've both heard and read from him recently and in the past.

14. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

AppooOnU..what is up with USMNT motivation?..Is that true what Dolo said?
    Are your players so less motivated?...but you need motivated players...
    it is essential for success....I don ´t believe Donovan or Keller are not motivated

hey man, you was so great in last World Cup..so come up and motivate yourself, US boys!!!

I made bet you are in semi-finale!...

bltleo
    GERMANY

15. Cornballer

Cornballer Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think I did this right...

Page 1 of interview
    Page 2 of interview

If that doesn't work, click on "sport" on the left hand column, then on the section you want to read.

Btw, "oder" means "or".

16. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

ODER means OR.

17. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

Or. And is "und."

18. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

he said that USA NEED to beat Czechs and Italy!. He said that to advance in the group and to play in the next round would be big success.

19. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or he could be talking about the rivier Oder. ;)

20. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

oh thats BS.

21. Owen Gohl

Owen Gohl Member

Jun 21, 2000

We've already beaten a big team. Norway averaged over six feet. ;)

Thinking you can win is essential but the US won't reach the top until
    everyone goes on to the pitch expecting to win.

22. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

Original German"

Was ist für die USA drin bei der WM?
    Wir müssen eines der Gruppenspiele gegen Tschechien oder Italien gewinnen. An einem Sieg gegen Ghana führt auch kein Weg vorbei. Das Viertelfinale wäre für uns ein großer Erfolg. Unser Problem ist: Wir haben viele Spieler, die nicht daran glauben, dass wir eine große Mannschaft schlagen können.[/quote]

My translation:

What will the USA have to do in the World Cup?
    We have to win one of the group matches against the Czechs or Italians. A single victory against Ghana won't be enough to ensure that we advance. Making it to the quarterfinals would be a great success for us. Our problem is: we have many players who don't believe that we can defeat a major team.

23. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

maybe is Norway not big team from point view of USMNT players since Norway did not qualify for the WC. Just my opinion.

:)

Bltleo
    GERMANY

24. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

I think it means (loosely) ...

"A victory against Ghana alone won't get us through."

25. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

Or "a single victory against Ghana won't be enough to ensure that we advance."

:)