AllWright AllWright AllWright : Haji moving to the Coventry

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Dec 17, 2013.

1. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    haha all the PKs were given to him. It's like the club wants to make him top scorer in the league so they can sell him . Danish... Turkish.. Next step should be Lique 1

2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like it but he is on loan there.

Maybe he was just the best penalty taker in training.

LouisianaViking07/09, Gacm32 and comoesa repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haji's highlights:

1431628508724436994 is not a valid tweet id

4. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    first goal wasnt even offsides...shoulda had 4 (!)

comoesa repped this.
  5. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    Lol you're right, he wasn't offsides - unfortunately the guy who passed him the ball WAS offsides, so no goal... :(

They show the VAR offsides lines at 20 seconds in the above clip.

6. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i much prefer the new experimental rule that is being proposed that if any part of the attacker is even with any part of the defender than it is a green light for the attacker...so a goal like this would actually count because part of the passers body is even or ahead of the last defender.

instead of the current rule where if any part of the attacker is behind any part of the defnder it is a red light.

but yeah youre right i was just looking at haji and the passer is slightly offsides.

comoesa repped this.
  7. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Otoh, scoring 4 goals, one disallowed is probably gonna give him more rope for off outings so it being waived off isn’t a total loss. Did he earn the PK’s or just take them?

8. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Im definitely hoping he can build a second double digit season as I don’t see how egg would be able to ignore it again (at least publicly) and it would likely earn him a proper transfer. I’m buying him as a prospect or at least holding anyway.

adam tash repped this.
  9. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a lot of "not giving Wright credit" comes from the fact that he's got a history of questionable decision-making with regard to club, including this latest move to Turkey. He seems like he's got some mental issues he needs to deal with, as he seems like an unstable personality type so far. Great that he's scoring goals. Antalyaspor and low-rung Danish first division aren't exactly screaming "USMNT WCQ callup" in 2021. He needs to show a level of professionalism that he's lacked up to now (and I had thought that he had gotten past that in Denmark last season, but clearly "no" is still the answer). Given these things, he just needs to keep scoring and he might have a chance (what with all the injuries we've come to expect over the last few years). But, seriously, the lack of professionalism is what I think kills it for him right now.

10. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm reserving judgement on the "lack of professionalism" on his latest club decision. I can easily see it as a response to the ownership's questionable decision making. They replaced a successful coach (who I guess really connected wih Haji) and also didn't really entertain Haji's desire to be sold to Malmo. We'll see how he does here, Turkish league can be a wild place.

11. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    My bad if this is well known stuff but what specific lack of professionalism are you referring to? I must have missed something.

12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man you guys are ridiculous with the standards you hold these young guys to. And now the usmnt is too good to call up guys playing in Denmark/Turkey?

13. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    Actually, without being facetious, it probably is.

Turkey's Super Lig is somewhat higher rated than the Danish Superliga, but the issue is that outside of the big three (or four now that the AKP's pet project, Basaksehir is a thing) the rest of the teams suck. We're going to see it become much harder to get a call up from Turkey, the Scandy countries, Belgium, Austria, BL2, etc. going forward. They're fine as a stepping stone, but if you top out there (outside of the one or few "top" teams like RB Leipzig that qualify for the CL/EL regularly) then you are probably not going to be called up. It's just a matter of quality, and the fact that we are finally getting to the point where we have players at better leagues than these, at almost all positions. It's not impossible, but unless a player is lighting up the league, they won't be considered. So for example, if Haji scores 15 goals this season, he might get a look. Maybe.

You should be happy - this is a good thing for the USMNT.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  14. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???
    Our forward pool is supplied by MLS/2.BL/EPL relegation bait.

Namdynamo, Higher Learning and adam tash repped this.
  15. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the US is not too good to call up guys playing in Denmark and Turkey, but when you've had the rocky career that Haji has and you play on low-table teams in those leagues then you're going to have a hard time getting called up. The competition for attacking positions is stiff.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I think you meant RB Salzburg, no? :D

17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #3592 The Irish Rover, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    Maybe it is, but is calling up a striker from Super Lig relegation bait the solution?

Antalyaspor finished 16th out of 20 last season and they finished 14th out of 18 two seasons before that.

18. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3593 adam tash, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    its really annoying how a large section of this board holds a player's past against them SO HARD.

as soon as a player isnt christian pulisic or gio reyna...they are nobodies.

as soon as they have had one or 2 situations that werent destined for mega stardom...or that flopped...it follows them around FOREVER. for most of the posters on here.

Miazga is playing in La Liga. EPB is in France. Julian Green is in the Bundesliga. Wright just scored a hattrick in Turkey. Etc.

But these guys have all mostly been written off by most fans apparently.

I think this strong tendency of most posters to only go on the status of a player's club to rank the pool really leads to a lot of weird preferences for certain players and also a lot of blind spots, especially for the non-mlsers in europe. So weird to me how MLSers get every benefit of the doubt despite not really doing much for the for the USMNT, collectively. But club histories are held so strngly against those in europe.

plus, on top of all that, USMNT history is littered with players that slowly ground their way to the top in europe....a lot of the best players in USMNT history had spotty club careers in europe and took a looooong time to become successful there. Mcbride didnt move to the EPL until 28!! i could go on and on with other examples.

for lot of people its like once a players club career isnt perfect they have a scarlett letter that follows them around forever.

now wright isnt porfessional enough (which I think has been an issue for him along the way) while scoring 4 goals in a game in turkey? got it.

I'll take that kind of unprofessionalism all day....espeically over the porfessionalism of bradley trapp and ream that produces zilch for the USMNT.

Namdynamo, comoesa and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  19. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Regardless of the level Haji is playing at, calling him up now is an experiment. That's what friendlies are for. If a coach thinks someone is or might become something extra, then call him up to camp cupcake and see what he's got. If he's good, that's fine and if he flops, well, you haven't lost anything.

This call-up is for the opening 3 games of the CONCACAF Third Round, with the top 3 qualify directly for Qatar and the 4th-placed team goes into a playoff. Unless Berhalter wants a repeat of the last time, he has no business experimenting at all, certainly not when he's just won 2 competitions this summer. Settled sides tend to do better, so he has to use the players who succeeded quite comfortably against some of the same opposition you're going to encounter over the next 10 days.

Third Round callups/recalls are for dead rubber or Hail Mary Pass games. These three are neither.

tomásbernal and gomichigan24 repped this.
  20. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Last year there were I think four Americans in Turkey: Yedlin and Mix who were on World Cup rosters, Lichaj and Boyd who were on recent Gold Cup rosters. Yes, Lichaj and Mix are beyond their prime, and Yedlin has seen competition for his spot become insane, but the USMNT should still take seriously anyone who has a good season in Turkey.

comoesa and adam tash repped this.
  21. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's true that people have written off any of these players. Gregg Berhalter certainly hasn't. He's very consistently said that no one is ever out of the national team.

Julian Green is one of the most talked about players in terms of who people here want to see on the USMNT roster. Matt Miazga was on the Nations League roster, and didn't go the Gold Cup because of his club situation. But we will almost certainly see him at some point during qualifying. I don't think there were very many people who didn't want to see EPB on the Gold Cup roster. Unfortunately it didn't work out because of his club situation but if he plays well at Troyes he'll like get an opportunity. The question for him is whether he can beat out players like Brooks, Robinson, and Richards. None of them have been written off.

Wright has definitely not been written off, but he's just not been in the picture at all for a long time. He hasn't really played for the youth teams in awhile and he was not a part of the U20 cycle for his age group at all. And then last season he had his first real success at the pro level. Which was then followed by all the weirdness in terms of his club situation, which took a bit to sort out. And now we're in WCQ so there's not alot of space to call up new players so in order to earn an opportunity he's probably going to really have to play very well for his club. Probably on a Cyle Larin to get consideration for WCQ. Otherwise I think he'll have to wait for the Nations League at the soonest till he can get a look.

tomásbernal, Sandon Mibut and adam tash repped this.
  22. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    theres room at the end of rosters for a new player here or there.

NO NEW PLAYERS is way too conservative.

23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Could you read what I wrote?

I didn't say no new players for this cycle. I said no new players for this callup.

There's a bit of a difference there.

tomásbernal repped this.
  24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Isn't Pepi a new player?

25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well I think it is fine and there can be a few newbies no matter the stakes...even for wcq. with 26 or more allowed in camp it really makes no sense to keep a "closed wagons" approach going