AllWright AllWright AllWright : Haji moving to the Coventry

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Dec 17, 2013.

1. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Who else is there?

(apart from Pepi, of course)

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    For the Gold Cup, Ferreira and Morris.

3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The Eredivisie is higher-ranked than the Super Lig - 6th versus 12th.

And it's not even close. The Erdivisie has 59.3 coefficient points, while the Super Lig has 32.1, about the same as the gap between Ligue 1 and La Liga.

madvillain repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Since his return from injury (20230306) Wright has scored five goals in six Super Lig games.

In the same time frame, from 20230304, Pepi has scored two goals in six Eredivisie games.

But Pepi has done so for the second weakest team in his league. Wright has done so for a mid-table team. However, without Wright's goals Antalyaspor would be in the relegation zone.

So it's between the 7th goal scorer (11/3) in the 6th league in UEFA, and the 4th goal scorer (15/2) in the 12th league in UEFA. Close, but Pepi ranks a bit higher.

5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Which was my point. IMO both of them deserve a lot of credit for their mental toughness over the last few seasons. In Germany, both were playing for clubs that weren't entirely sure what they were doing with them and in Haji's case wasn't at all sure what it was doing, period. Add that on top of the cultural adjustment and the language barrier and it would have been easy for Pepi to fold, as it looked like Haji did, and to stay folded in Haji's case.

Whatever their ceilings may turn out to be, they both have decent futures at higher levels than they're at now.

And that includes higher than Augsburg. :sneaky:

madvillain repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Both these guys are making a lot of their less-than-ideal situations. The main difference is Wright just turned 25 - he's basically on the Pulisic career curve, whereas Pepi just turned 20. That five year difference is substantial in terms of what a club might invest in a player, but plenty of players have a very good season early in their career and can't ever build on that success... Will be interesting to watch both over the next few season.

madvillain, The Irish Rover and Suyuntuy repped this.
  7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Transfermarkt shows him with 15 league goals, ahead of Icardi by 2.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/super-lig/torschuetzenliste/wettbewerb/TR1/saison_id/2022

We also need to keep in mind that he was sidelined for 6 straight games with a thigh muscle injury, so his current tally is very impressive indeed.

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  9. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of curiosity I just took a look at the leading scorers in the Turkish League this season. Talk about a blast from the past. I can see why top 4 leagues would look at scorers from that league with a fair bit of skepticism.

Boysinblue and DCU1984 repped this.
  10. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A real treat and blast from the past is a scrolling through the rosters of SuperLig teams. You’ll constantly find yourself saying “oh…… that’s where [insert name] went. I forgot about him.”

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Turkey's weather is a great reason to move there once you're past your prime.

12. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I did a piss poor job of writing that sentence but note my point in front of it (and what I’ve written elsewhere): what I was trying to say was we’ve got our #1 Pepi and we’ve got Wright and nothing else consistently producing. I don’t disagree w/your point in the least and meant as much in the sentence preceding it. I will add if Sargent can score a couple more you can throw him in.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I've seen enough of Sarge and as a NT striker it's a No.

14. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    He's double'd his career high goal total this year which is a nice trend, but the negative is that half of it was in 1 month, 8 months ago. He also had the secondary assist on the goal vs Wales, and appeared to be on the cusp of maybe decent play vs Iran before getting hurt.

Lets just say 2022-2023 is the most promising he's looked since 2018-2019, w/everything inbetween being a mix of dire to disappointing.

I would not put Sargent ahead of Pepi at this point, but nobody else in the pool has a clearly stronger claim, nor a weaker one, after Pepi, it's basically a collection of guys w/clear issues and then the figure of Balogun in the distance ready to slay them all.

But yeah, if you go by club form, I take Pepi, then Wright, if you go by quality of play with the senior team, I'd go with Pepi and Sargent because while Sargent doesn't get the goals, he plays more effectively with his teammates than Ferreira, or Wright or Pefok for now.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I know, I know, he looks nice in his uniform and he seems to be loved by his mates. And we're all familiar with him. And I'm sure he's a great kid, yes, Sarge is.

But the purpose of a striker is to score goals. Josh has 23 games with the NT. He's only scored five times. Two of those in friendlies. In actual games, he's only scored against Cuba.

So unless you're a fellow redhead and your core identity is tied to his, it's time to move on.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    If we go based on leagues strength, MLS is stronger than Turkish league. Who is scoring there?

17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Going back to 2015 U-17 we have CP, Wes, Adams, LDLT at leas, maybe someone else. So another nice guy from that team jumps over Pepi, and then exactly the same guys want Gio off the team. It's good Zendejas switched to us.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You're not Wrong!

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Disagree. Maybe three/four years ago, not now. Now MLS is about par with the Greek league. IMO, of course.

20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greek league is terrible even the big three are down and a shadow of themselves.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I love MLS and I think it's vital to the development of the sport in the US, but I'm not going to deceive myself: it's not that good.

"Terrible" is relative. The Vietnamese second division is terrible. The Finnish fourth division is terrible.

22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fine. I’ll rephrase….The Greek SuperLiga is really bad. Poor quality. Not technical or tactical aside from a team or two. I’m not even comparing it to MLS. I just saying in general the Superliga has declined and fairly quickly. I assume because of the country’s financial crisis and clubs not being able to attract the players it once did.

Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    MLS is stronger than 3 years ago. It's around Belgian league, and probably better. I'm not adding IMO, as every single post here means that.

Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    that's just, like, your opinion, man.

25. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Since there's about zero inter-league play between MLS and anyone other than Liga MX, there's no way of making a comparison between MLS and any European league. You could use players who move to/from MLS from Europe and how they did before or after their move, but you'd need a larger number moving back and forth every season to get a useful sample size.

There is the option of comparing the average wage budgets in MLS and the comparitor league; football transfers being a global business, Stefan Szymanski's research showing a 93% correlation between the wage budget and a team's place in a division, etc. The problem there is comparing like with like. MLS is still a parity-drive league, while foreign league pyramids are pretty much free markets: while Turkey's Big 4 (Gala, Fener, Besiktas and Trabzon) have BL1/La Liga-type budgets, Antalya would be around the middle in MLS and the smaller clubs wouldn't be that far ahead of the richer USL sides.