News: Does you agree with Neville?

Discussion in 'Everton' started by hlbunton, Apr 7, 2010.

1. hlbunton

hlbunton New Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phil Neville recently said that he didn't think Everton needed to sign anyone during the summer transfer period.

While I understand when healthy the Toffees have the potential to be good, we have only seen flashes of it. However there are some changes that could be made. While I like Neville as a leader, sometimes I think he is off. Coleman looks to be ready very soon to replace him.

Also we have to decide whether we like to use our creative midfield or just bomb the ball down the pitch with Distin and others (the later a poor strategy, but often done by the Blues).

Also a more polished finisher would be nice. Yak has been hurt and Saha can zone out during games.

Just wonder what others think.

2. StickyToffee

StickyToffee Red Card

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I would only agree with the ugly gimp if he said he was one of the worst footballers ever to pull on the Royal Blue and he said he was leaving

3. hlbunton

hlbunton New Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. StickyToffee

StickyToffee Red Card

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Capt setting us up for another sh*te summer

5. hlbunton

hlbunton New Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am hoping that he is not the mouthpiece for the Club tempering the fans expectations for a signing-less summer.

6. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    when i read his comments, I honestly took them to mean "we WILL get through if no one comes in. we have good talent here" Not "we don't want anyone new" There's a big difference in the two meanings. what if we do have a crap summer again? will we fall to pieces next season? no. not really. as long as the majority of our lads are healthy, we WILL do well.

I hate the "sensationaliztion" of innocent statements, and frankly I think that's what's happened here with p.nev's comments.

7. hlbunton

hlbunton New Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spider is probably right. But there is no game until next Wednesday so its more fun to speculate (at least for me on the future).

The big if is IF the team is healthy. Everton's good run was when everyone was coming back from injury even though Fellaini went out during the Derby.

They were also good at stretching the other teams. Donovan helped that with his pace. If we get Donovan or another right winger (I like Baines and Pienaar on the left) stretching defenses I would be really hyped for next season.

That and Arteta being back. We seriously miss his set piece ability and creativity in the middle. While Ossie and Cahill are decent in the middle at times they lack Arteta's ability to create chances that don't seem to be there.

8. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm happy with the group we have right now. We'll have Beckford joining us in the summer for about market price. That should boost our oft injured forward depth. On top of that we should have a pretty nice central midfield group of Heitinga, Fellaini, Rodwell and Arteta. I love Heitinga's versatility but I think he could be a nice pairing next to Arteta. Of course, Pienaar, Cahill and Osman could play in the middle as well. That Lescott-fund injection probably got a few Everton fans thinking we would be more active in bringing guys in.

I really don't know what to make of the roster for next year. I'd like to see Rodwell get more minutes but at the same time I want to see Fellaini and Arteta in there. We saw what happened with Fellaini further up field playing Cahill's current role and then what he could do at the position before he got hurt. Lots of depth is a nice problem to have.

9. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    As much as I like Peinaar, I think we could/should shop him around, he is a flashy winger with 1foot syndrome. Not consistent in run of play.
    Saha and Yak, while having quality skills neither are close to consistant. Adding Beckford next year could be an answer but my question on him, is he really that good or does he look good because of the level of competition he is playing against.

For Me, add a creative midfielder on one of the wings or who can replace arteta because we know he will be injured yet again..and again and again. AND Have a consistent striker who can use both feet please. (2cents)

10. Onyewu Power Station

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    just get seamus coleman back from blackpool and let him start at rb next season. it our weakest spot. im so sick of us getting this massive overlap on the right only to be wasted with shiet crosses.

and buy david villa too.

11. StickyToffee

StickyToffee Red Card

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    You want to get rid of the most consistent player of the last calender yr? Behave yourself, thats just embarrassing

12. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Beckford probably won't come, he's thinking of a move to Newcastle and that's more likely in my eyes.

All we need is a RB and a striker. Of course we could bung Coleman in there, but I wouldn't mind seeing him spend another season away on loan and maybe us bring someone else in.

13. Tony Dellbird

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Beckford is a good player, but he's a proper whinger. He has the potential, but I can't see him getting many minutes over a fit Yak or Saha. I completely disagree in getting rid of Pienaar, he's arguably been our best player this season.

14. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we already settled on a price. :confused: I didn't really want his attitude anyway.

15. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I definitely know and agree with the merits of Pienaar. For me, opinion only, i think we could use a better MF/Wing OR a better way to say it is I would like more production from him.
    Numbers dont lie. (only Prem League play)
    Year Appearances Goals
    2009/10 23 4
    2008/09 28 2
    2007/08 28 2
    By comparison Diniyar Bilyaletdinov is much more effective when on the pitch, 13starts (5subs) with 5 league goals.

I will NOT say Donovan (though we could do much worse, he scored 2 goals in only 10 total games)
    We bought the Pienaar for 2Mil pounds (ish) from dortmund. IF we could sell at say, 15 to 20. I say do it and let bily, rodwell, fellaini, arteta, osmon, cahill hold down the midfield.
    Spend the cash on the RB or the Striker or someone who has proved they can score 10 goals a year.

16. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it'll be hard to replace the chemistry he had with baines.

17. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    how many assists does stevie p have? I think he's pretty damn instrumental in whipping the crosses in for others to score. that is something that has to be factored in as well as his own goals.

18. StickyToffee

StickyToffee Red Card

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Plus add in the lads workrate and its hard to leave him out. He has been superb the last 12 months and to lose someone of that ability will not be worth the money we would get for him

19. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    see, i don't agree that he's the best player on the pitch, nor that he's irreplacable, and I DO think he's been getting way out of hand on the attitude front. constantly over exagerating every frustration, mouthing off to ref etc, AND he's been going down at the brush of a feather! which pisses me off (though i do agree that other teams hit him more often when he's our play maker as take him out and who've we got left? etc. he still goes down way easy lately) BUT I don't think we should sell him just cos'

If someone came with a nice large offer then yes. I'd take it. Moyes has a way of bringing in players and getting them to perform. if Stevie P wants out, regardless of the history of players doing worse after transfering, take money and run is what I say. No more drama like last year. That goes for all our players.

With more of our players fit, we have more to choose from and maybe Peanut will fix his attitude. Cahill's time on the bench sorted his out right quick. :) I like peanut, so I'd be sad to see him go. with him and arteta in together the speed of play is so much faster. I just think that not a single player is completely safe. Every single one of them has a price... just depends on who's willing to pay it :D

20. StickyToffee

StickyToffee Red Card

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Pienaar and Arteta are irreplaceable, they make a decent side into a good one. We need to get rid of average players like Neville, Ossie and the like and replace with better quality. Pienaar and Cahill have got cracking attitudes so really dont know where your coming from with that line

21. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i agree, neville and ossie (and distin) are our main "upgrade/get depth" spots right now.

but by attitudes I mean the whinging to the ref, "you're not being faiiiiirrrr whyyy meeeee??? ~rolls around ground some more~" crap. Cahill had a bit of it at the beginning of the season... we had no one to replace him and he knew it and it showed. most of the time he is a great, but he did need a benching back then. Peanut has that now, although with more players back from injury he has been toning it down some. no one is safe from benching IMO, not that I think he's that bad that he needs to be benched for a game or two. I just think he just needs a good shaking.

Maybe I have too rigorous expectations. I don't like cheating and whinging in the refs ears, making exaggerated falls to the ground etc. that pisses me off. I am NOT saying pienar is the worst ever at this (he's not), but I am saying he's starting to do a bit too much of it for my liking, so lets nip it in the bud now. I'm also realistic enough to know that no one player makes our team, no one player is perfect. yet if the only thing I have to say that peanut needs to work on is the whinging right now, then that's actually a great! Call it more constructive criticism than "i hate him he's got to go"

anyway. I honestly hope Moyes can keep hold of all the guys he has this offseason and brings in 2 more. another RB and either a fwd or right winger.

Anyone know what's the word on Senderos? he got here, played a game and haven't heard about him in ages now...

22. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Irreplaceable?
    Everyone is replaceable. Look at the last year, we had to replace arteta for almost a year and pienaar for 11 games.
    The point about chemistry, the intangible merit, well said. Both players do create a solid rythym to the game.

Keep both players if possible, but if the right price comes along, don't pass up the opportunity to better the club.

23. Tony Dellbird

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think he meant irreplaceable as in we wouldn't want to sell him and we have no other better alternative nor have we any reason to seek one.

24. StickyToffee

StickyToffee Red Card

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Thats not a pienaar thing though, most pro footballers whinge to refs its part of the game. Doesnt bother me in the slightest

25. StickyToffee

StickyToffee Red Card

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Utter rubbish lad, we have seen it this year when both have been out that the team struggle badly.